Whistling noise on cold engine

GTamas

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
My 94 GT started recently to do a whistling or whining noise when starting the engine cold. It does it only at specific rpms, around 2000 and 1100. The pitch also changes slightly with the rpm. It's coming from the engine bay and it's not super loud, but easily hearable. I have the feeling it has to do something with air currents. Sounds like blowing a whistle.
It goes away when the engine is warmed up.

There's a video below:

I did not yet have the chance to locate the source because it does not do it at idle and I did not have anyone around to set the rpm while I look for the source.

Do you have any idea what I should look for?
Engine is stock with only a K&N filter inside the stock air box.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
check the pcv behind the lower intake to ensure it is in tight. I had the same kind of noise that drove me nuts for a while because no matter what side of the motor I was on, it sounded like it was on the other side.

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
Might actually be the throwout bearing.

Noises are especially difficult to pinpoint in a giant metal echo chamber.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
that pcv whistle drove me nuts going back and forth. I was starting to think it was moving every time I moved.

OP
OP
GTamas

GTamas

Reaction score
I hope I will get the chance to do a smoke leak test soon.

OP
OP
GTamas

GTamas

Reaction score
I found out today that my power steering fluid is way overdue for a change and level is low. (embarassed that I didn't check it earlier)
I noticed today, that the whistling sound is coming from around the left front of the engine. I'm suspecting the pump is making it. I will drain the fluid and refill, let's see how much it helps.
20240325_203218.jpg
20240325_203223.jpg

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
Sounds legit. My setup would groan in the cold (like very cold around 0 or -5*C) and would go quiet within seconds. New pump and new fluid too.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online