Why is my car rolling when it is in gear and the e-brake is on?

reivaxtorres

Reaction score
tommybunz said:
to much work maybe i'll go to the dealer or some where

its really not that much work, but it is a hassle. and good luck on taking it to the dealer. i took it one of my local Ford dealers and they told me it wasnt adjustable, then took it to a few ma-and-pa mechanics and they told me the same thing.

good luck man

voidfinger

Reaction score
reivaxtorres said:
tommybunz said:
to much work maybe i'll go to the dealer or some where

its really not that much work, but it is a hassle. and good luck on taking it to the dealer. i took it one of my local Ford dealers and they told me it wasnt adjustable, then took it to a few ma-and-pa mechanics and they told me the same thing.

good luck man

AKA i don't want to fix it... its too much trouble.

Twista

Legend
Reaction score
9psi 98 said:
Twista said:
Pushing the clutch in unlocks the gear (if im wording it correct) So when you push in the clutch your actually in neutral, so the problem is with the brake system somewhere

so this has nothing to do with the tranny.

WHAT!?! All pushing in the clutch does is pull on your clutch fork, it spreads the friction material apart in your clutches so that your flywheel isn't putting power to the rest of your drivetrain anymore. It never goes into neutral, you are still in whatever gear that your shifter is indicating. The only way to be in neutral with the shifter in a gear is to break something internally. Otherwise you're still in gear with the clutch in or out. And yes, your tranny is still spinning when it is in neutral, it's just not spinning a gear that is connected to the tailshaft.

....try your rear brakes man, they are probably worn down to nothing. Even when they are glazed over, they will still hold you when you are parked to some extent.

hey, i was just saying what it seemed like. I said my wording was maybe wrong, but if you push in the clutch its the same feeling as being in neutral... to me atleast. I wasnt trying to get technical and yes i know this is the "tech and talk forum".

OP
OP
F

freefallin98

Reaction score
yeah...so I was barely on a decline today and I pulled the e-brake down, with my car in first gear, and it continued to roll until I took further action. This is starting to feel like something in my tranny...am I pointing in the right direction?

voidfinger

Reaction score
ok. Was the clutch engaged "foot off the clutch" ?

B/c if you just put it in first with your foot on it, it won't do a think till you let the clutch pedal out. then it should stop.

Deffinitly a e brake problem

Black97GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
I bet it is your ebrake...

If you push your clutch in and the ebrake is on and the car still rolls then the clutch and tranny are working fine. The car should roll while it is in gear but the clutch is pushed in. If it is in gear and the clutch is not pushed in then it shouldn't roll. My ebrake sucks..my car rolled into a ditch once because I forgot to put it in gear when I parked it. When I got in the car in the ditch my ebrake was pulled all the way up but it still rolled back. I was lucky it wasnt anywhere else and that my car didnt roll into another car or something..needless to say my car is in gear when I park anywhere..hill or not.

voidfinger

Reaction score
yea i don't want to leave my car in gear though when i put the trans in there. at least for a while b/c i'll jump in and turn the key and room room and i'm into someone elses car lol.

OP
OP
F

freefallin98

Reaction score
Yeah one more time. When my car is in gear AND the e-brake is yanked up, the car, for the most part, usually rolls when on a slight decline. However, what you guys are saying, is that when my e-brake is OFF, and I push in the cluth while the car is in gear, it should roll...correct me if im wrong, please.

Jrgunn5150

Post Whore
Reaction score
What we are saying, is that since it rolls with the Ebrake on, but stays put with it in gear, it has to be the Ebrake that's the problem.

reivaxtorres

Reaction score
freefallin98 said:
Yeah one more time. When my car is in gear AND the e-brake is yanked up, the car, for the most part, usually rolls when on a slight decline. However, what you guys are saying, is that when my e-brake is OFF, and I push in the cluth while the car is in gear, it should roll...correct me if im wrong, please.

its a 5speed, right?

A: if the car is in 1st gear or in neutral (the middle space where the shifter goes from side to side unrestrictive, dont care for the technical term), the clutch is pushed all the way in, and the e-brake is up all the way, THE CAR SHOULD NOT MOVE, even if it is on an incline.

B: if the car is in 1st gear, the ebrake is up, and the clutch is released slowly, THE CAR SHOULD STALL. this is pretty much the same thing as releasing the clutch and pushing down on the brakes without touching the gas.

if you do A and the car moves forward, it has nothing to do with your transmission, its the ebrake not engaging like it should. this means either you need it adjusted, or a cable (or all three) need service.

if you do B and the car doesnt stall but moves forward, then the transmission is perfect (for all practical purposes) and its your ebrake not engaging like it should. again, you either need it adjusted or serviced.

-x

Javi

Post Whore
Reaction score
freefallin98 said:
Alright cool, thanks. I dont think its a big deal.

sound to like is the E-BRAKE,here

NHTSA Recall Number: 00V349000

Manufacturer Recall Number: :00S37

Component Affected: EMERGENCY PARKING BRAKE:MECHANICAL

Number of Vehicles Affected: 434000

Manufactured From: Oct 04, 1993

Manufactured To: Oct 10, 2000

Defect: VEHICLE DESCRIPTION: PASSENGER VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH MANUAL TRANSMISSIONS. IF A VEHICLE IS PARKED WITH THE PARKING BRAKE NOT FULLY APPLIED AND NOT IN FIRST GEAR, AS DIRECTED IN THE OWNER GUIDE, AND THE SELF ADJUSTMENT PAWL SUBSEQUENTLY SKIPS ONE OR TWO TEETH, THE VEHICLE COULD MOVE ON SOME GRADES.

Consequences: THIS COULD RESULT IN UNINTENDED VEHICLE MOVEMENT AND A VEHICLE CRASH WITHOUT PRIOR WARNING.

Corrective Action: DEALERS WILL MODIFY THE PARKING BRAKE CONTROL AND INSTALL A PLATE OR OVER-BRACKET TO THE CONTROL TO LOCK THE SELF ADJUST MECHANISM IN POSITION FOLLOWING ADJUSTMENT.

SRT Handz

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Hey reivaxtorres, I am gonna Give you a High Five next time i see you for figuring out out to adjust the ebrake....if has be busting my mind for years

LI98GT

Reaction score

Javi

Post Whore
Reaction score
LI98GT said:
I think Slo94GT has got it. If Ford will fix it for free AND you trust your local Ford dealer, this might be the way to go. I did get a notice in the mail several years ago but I've never had a problem, and don't totally trust my dealer, so I just put it on the back burner. Another link confirming the recall below.

http://www.internetautoguide.com/auto-recalls/67-int/1998/ford/mustang/base/index.html

i already took care of mine,my mechanic did it,at that time i didnt know anything about the recall or i would have taken to the dealer,For those that want to do it themselves its a PITA,i recommend take it to the dealer,did i say its a PITA

reivaxtorres

Reaction score
slo94gt said:
freefallin98 said:
Alright cool, thanks. I dont think its a big deal.

sound to like is the E-BRAKE,here

NHTSA Recall Number: 00V349000

Manufacturer Recall Number: :00S37

Component Affected: EMERGENCY PARKING BRAKE:MECHANICAL

Number of Vehicles Affected: 434000

Manufactured From: Oct 04, 1993

Manufactured To: Oct 10, 2000

Defect: VEHICLE DESCRIPTION: PASSENGER VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH MANUAL TRANSMISSIONS. IF A VEHICLE IS PARKED WITH THE PARKING BRAKE NOT FULLY APPLIED AND NOT IN FIRST GEAR, AS DIRECTED IN THE OWNER GUIDE, AND THE SELF ADJUSTMENT PAWL SUBSEQUENTLY SKIPS ONE OR TWO TEETH, THE VEHICLE COULD MOVE ON SOME GRADES.

Consequences: THIS COULD RESULT IN UNINTENDED VEHICLE MOVEMENT AND A VEHICLE CRASH WITHOUT PRIOR WARNING.

Corrective Action: DEALERS WILL MODIFY THE PARKING BRAKE CONTROL AND INSTALL A PLATE OR OVER-BRACKET TO THE CONTROL TO LOCK THE SELF ADJUST MECHANISM IN POSITION FOLLOWING ADJUSTMENT.

yup, except on almost all the mustang parking brake assemblies ive seen, we already have the plate that locks the self adjusting part of it. step 5 of my how-to talks about how you have to remove that in order to adjust the assembly.

reivaxtorres

Reaction score
SRT Handz said:
Hey reivaxtorres, I am gonna Give you a High Five next time i see you for figuring out out to adjust the ebrake....if has be busting my mind for years

yeah, no worries. i figured it out the hard way because my cables snapped, haha

slo94gt said:
LI98GT said:
I think Slo94GT has got it. If Ford will fix it for free AND you trust your local Ford dealer, this might be the way to go. I did get a notice in the mail several years ago but I've never had a problem, and don't totally trust my dealer, so I just put it on the back burner. Another link confirming the recall below.

http://www.internetautoguide.com/auto-recalls/67-int/1998/ford/mustang/base/index.html

i already took care of mine,my mechanic did it,at that time i didnt know anything about the recall or i would have taken to the dealer,For those that want to do it themselves its a PITA,i recommend take it to the dealer,did i say its a PITA

its not a complete PITA, but its time consuming. i dont know if that recall will help you out either, when i read about it i thought it was a TSB and not a recall, but that link and post above have a recall number so i dunno. wouldnt hurt to try to get the dealership to do it tho, when i went to ask them they had no clue what i was talking about and told me i had to replace the assembly because the cable coming from the assembly wasnt replaceable, yet ford sells this cable by itself. :lame:

Javi

Post Whore
Reaction score
dealers never know anything about recalls,go figure they are full of it

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sn95tre

Members online