Wierd Intake Noise

delling3

Reaction score
Replaced my air filter element yesterday. It's a '96 with stock airbox/intake. I have only had the car for a short time (about 1000 miles under my belt), but today, it revealed a new trick. Seems to happen at light throttle settings - can't tell if it happens at steady state throttle conditions or just when gently accelerating/coasting. I will hear an intermittent howling sound - like the sound of the Vuvusela's that were so popular at soccer matches a few years back. If I quickly tap the accelerator pedal, it stops.

When I went to autozone, I bought the filter the counter guy recommended - it isn't a Motorcraft - but it is a regular pleated paper filter. Anyone ever encounter this? Could this be related to the filter? It doesn't seem to have any impact on the running of the car - but the noise is a little disconcerting.

Thanks.

PinkieT

Reaction score
Sounds like something is vibrating in the intake tract. Air rushing through a thin gap could cause a vibration like a saxophone reed. Make sure the filter is secured properly and check all joints in the intake system.

SnakeBit!

Reaction score
make sure the air filter is seated properly and the clamp is fully engaged around the filter housing in it's groove. it is easy to get things misaligned. also make sure that the filter does not have anything loose on the inside of the filter itself.

OLD H2S

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Remove the pull off air horn on the filter housing, Then drive and check again. If it is better you just made a cold air intake for free

SnakeBit!

Reaction score
also, did you dislodge the hose that goes to the IAC? if that is loose or unattached, that makes a howling or growling sound.

OP
OP
delling3

delling3

Reaction score
So, for those who suggested the IAC, pat yourself on the back! It was indeed the IAC. Unfortunately, it was also a brand new out of the box IAC. I have been fighting some idle speed issues for a while. I had read that you can simply clean an IAC and that it "might" solve the issue, but I also figured buying a nice shiny new one was cheap insurance. WRONG. I installed the new IAC at the same time that I changed the air filter and cleaned the MAF. It really sounded like the noise was coming from the intake, but I guess it was the IAC. The problem was getting worse, as the car began repeatedly stalling at idle. This afternoon I pulled the new IAC off, douched the old one with some carb cleaner and reinstalled. Intake noise hasn't returned, and the stalling has stopped. Still trying to figure out the idle issue (idles too slow unless the AC is "on"!)

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
don't cheap out on new engine parts. They are having enough of a problem with cheap knock offs of quality products that you can hardly see the difference in but the ones that they do not even try to make look like a good fake I have even less faith in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online