Will I need a tune?

Zacharoo03

Reaction score
Hi, I performed the PI intake manifold swap a couple months ago. Everything is working great, except my fuel economy. I know it was going to go down SLIGHTLY, but even on the highway it sucks. I’ll get about 175-200 miles on the highway and about 100-120 miles in town depending on my foot. With mixed I’ll get around 150 miles at a little less than a 1/4 tank. Do you guys who have done it or are familiar with these cars think I need to get a tuner for it? Thank you in advance!

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
That intake manifold should have improved fuel economy. Make sure you don’t have any vacuum leaks.

What all did you do when you swapped the intake, any other parts changed?

OP
OP
Zacharoo03

Zacharoo03

Reaction score
That intake manifold should have improved fuel economy. Make sure you don’t have any vacuum leaks.

I just changed the intake, and a few weeks after I changed the mufflers.

OP
OP
Zacharoo03

Zacharoo03

Reaction score

Also I just checked there’s no vacuum leak that I can see or hear

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
Interesting. Have you hooked up a scan tool and monitored fuel trims to see what the oxygen sensors are doing?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Also I just checked there’s no vacuum leak that I can see or hear
unless it is a REALLY bad leak you will rarely see or hear a leak and spraying starter fluid also can be hit or miss. Get a cigar and remove the vac line to the brake booster and blow smoke into it and you will see if there are any leaks.

badass98svt

Reaction score
Is that not normal fuel economy for the 4.6?
If I really pussyfoot it around, I used to be able to get 220 to a tank before the turbo install.
That was with 4.30s, which didn't really hurt my gas mileage around town at all.
What rear gears do you have?

OP
OP
Zacharoo03

Zacharoo03

Reaction score
Is that not normal fuel economy for the 4.6?
If I really pussyfoot it around, I used to be able to get 220 to a tank before the turbo install.
That was with 4.30s, which didn't really hurt my gas mileage around town at all.
What rear gears do you have?

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
unless it is a REALLY bad leak you will rarely see or hear a leak and spraying starter fluid also can be hit or miss. Get a cigar and remove the vac line to the brake booster and blow smoke into it and you will see if there are any leaks.
He doesn’t have a brake booster

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
For a stock engine, I’d say somewhere around 20-23 mpg should be normal.

Have you set you trip and calculated actual miles per gallon instead of miles per tank? It could be something off with the sending unit.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
You know ttocs, im gonna bring a couple fat stogies for you and me one day. We have us a leak finding get together!

This process of diagnostics is very simple and smart.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
cigar? C'mon now we can do better than that! If I am gonna smoke something it is going to make it worth the buzz :) and think about how much easier it would be to follow your nose to the leak. And then order a pizza with funions on it....

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Ahhh i see. You make a strong point! What if we collaborated together with our supply?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online