Nice Sn95. 100k miles. Heirloom. Garage kept. We need some help

jacobn4056.

Reaction score
Hey again folks.
I have a 1995 Ford Mustang GT black convertible. 5.0 all original equipment.
This has always been my favorite car.
I’m not huge on the late model line but this is it! It’s right on my character. I’ll be the one fixing it no matter.
So there are 100 cause’s running through my head and a million patchy advice leads. Some not pertaining to a ford or SN95. Some I’ve read are mechanical problems. So I’m trying to get a good detail for the experts here that could help.
Now thanks to all who have found my posts and had a resemblance to a car of some sort they used to have. Im glad I had the chance to learn and I appreciate your message. It doesn’t help there’s snow on the ground in Alabama and I need it Running!

I’m having an issue that is burning powertrain control module relay. My original relay module blew At an idle while waiting on food. Car didn’t run hot, wasn’t noticeably hotter. The car shut off and was hard to get fired up. The engine pooted very low rpm. Got it home with no power.
The way I remember it I lost battery while turning in or another hiccup that caused the car needing to be cranked again. But had a dead battery. Low crank. Charged it finally got it back. From then on there has been this problem intermittently. It’s not drivable and will fowl plugs while trying to diagnose it. For sure. When the Engine Light is on the car has no power. Also when the light is on the fan comes with the key switch. When not acting up it runs and runs smooth for a little while. I came to the original ccrm and it was burned (#1 picture). Low fan relay looks to be the burned area. Fast forward and I replaced the ccrm thinking that capacitor you see leaked and caused damage. Now I have the same problem off and on. Fine one minute Not fine and check engine light is on the next. Car has never ran hot. Fan on as long as check engine is on. May have heard clicking in the New power train control relay module. I have noticed click with check engine on and off. Light flashes as sudden as click/fan. When car is only switched on with that new ccrm. Before.
I opened new ccrm that I replaced and there is signs of burning or heat here as well. (2nd and 3rd picture)
ECM computer looks to be fine though. (4th picture)

We really need helpful ideas and information for this car. It was my grandfathers. He is alive. I want him to come alive.

Attachments

• IMG_2339.jpeg
    IMG_2339.jpeg
    185.1 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2337.jpeg
    IMG_2337.jpeg
    726.5 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_2336.jpeg
    IMG_2336.jpeg
    810.4 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2333.jpeg
    IMG_2333.jpeg
    315.4 KB · Views: 6

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
Did that ever get the recall done for fan circuit
If I remember correctly it has something to do with that part
Just something to check into

OP
OP
jacobn4056.

jacobn4056.

Reaction score
Did that ever get the recall done for fan circuit
If I remember correctly it has something to do with that part
Just something to check into
Thanks. I couldn’t tell you. It wasn’t bought from showroom. It was bought at auction a couple of years later than new when my grandfather was buying used cars for his lot at his parts store. Small town. Wasn’t bought for resale. Was a gem back then. I remember there being some cards and original service information in the owners manual. I’ll check there as a chance to know. I wouldn’t take 10k for it sitting right there. But of course that’s just me. If recall was shortly after being built it’s very likely the way paperwork has been kept.

Car sit for 7 years while I was away working and my grandfather lived with my uncle. Now I’m gearing for college.

What do you think a recall was about?

Last edited:

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
Check the harness also make sure no wires are showing the copper wire
And grounding somewhere
And all connections

OP
OP
jacobn4056.

jacobn4056.

Reaction score
Yeah. That’s another good one. It still has to be timed because I swapped distributor for a new oem But it runs fine by hand timing. when not cutting up. It Did this with original distributor. Timing light on the way. Check engine and what ever this fault will be doesn’t seem to be related to the engine performance. But really affects performance. When light is on it dumps fuel.
I also didn’t like the make of the distributor. It has a plate on it where an ignition module would mount. The sn95 ignition module is on wheel well under air cleaner drum. So I just don’t like that fact about the new distributor. I have a Cardone reman in shipment.
It is a Black/saddle tan convertible so it will never be after marketed for racing. Or more than smoking speed.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jacobn4056.

jacobn4056.

Reaction score
on my 95gt when i got it new , that recall came out about 2003 , and had it done
No I wouldn’t believe it’s been done.
We did all our own work there at the store. If it was known wouldn’t have been fooled with until the problem. Wasn’t first owner.

OP
OP
jacobn4056.

jacobn4056.

Reaction score
Pics of the ride ??
Yeah but I only have one right now. I was going fishing that day and driving it.

But I’ll post it up when I’m finished. Today I went and got some solid blocks to get it high enough for a good looking over. Gonna put it on 4 with straps sandwiched between blocks To Rachet down wheels. As an extra precaution. Want to be able to go over it sitting and laying rather than choking myself. We used to have a lift at the store. Have to make do this time

Attachments

• IMG_1871.jpeg
    IMG_1871.jpeg
    154.9 KB · Views: 12

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
These are the exact jack stands I use and once set in place under the rear axle and front A arms in the spring pocket location, the car is solid. Best part their are no worries with jack stand failure.

The starting height is 15" all the way up to 23". So on its shortest location is like the smaller parts store 3ton jack stands all the way up. I can get the car up pretty high and its very stable

Capture.PNG

OP
OP
jacobn4056.

jacobn4056.

Reaction score
I’ll definitely be getting the right stands one day.

These are the exact jack stands I use and once set in place under the rear axle and front A arms in the spring pocket location, the car is solid. Best part their are no worries with jack stand failure.

The starting height is 15" all the way up to 23". So on its shortest location is like the smaller parts store 3ton jack stands all the way up. I can get the car up pretty high and its very stable

View attachment 31699

I’ll definitely get around to that!

OP
OP
jacobn4056.

jacobn4056.

Reaction score
I just got the car in the carport. A few minutes later the check engine light hit on. Cut it off plugged in my Code reader I bought. Turned it on. Hit test and got no test. Just the 000. I pushed test and got no test from the reader.
Check engine light on. Fan on. Fuel pump on I believe. And now that it’s inside of the carport I believe I hear the injectors just Squirting. With the engine off. Only with the ignition on.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
If any fuel is coming from anywhere while the engine is off.....you will smell it.....inside and out of the car

OP
OP
jacobn4056.

jacobn4056.

Reaction score
Y’all keep in mind this is a good car and these issues are a tragedy for its overall condition. It’s one of the best examples of the generation that I’ve seen.
When it operates normally.
No mechanic Good or Bad has had their hands on this car other than us. There isn’t anything missing. Messed with or even improved.

Just Now turned the key a moment ago and it wasn’t in its condition. It started a test. I heard high and low fan. I think before it was finished a relay clicked and the fan came on by itself. Now there are times when the check engine, fan, and performance “blink” these are brand new relays in the module. you can momentarily feel the engine kick and run better. With engine off and keyed on. And that’s the point where I haven’t been able to get a test to start.

Codes I got are 121 o:
Closed throttle Voltage higher than expected.

10: ?

111:

This isn’t explaining burned ccrm yet.
I’m just not sure if that fan coming on a moment after hi/low test actually halted further codes. Because As I said it will not run a test when check engine is and all these problems are present. It hardly idles. I did double check my steps. And tested to directions of the book.

Attachments

• IMG_2337.jpeg
    IMG_2337.jpeg
    726.5 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
OP
OP
jacobn4056.

jacobn4056.

Reaction score

View attachment 31699
I like your idea better than mine this time. Just working with what I could get my hands on in the timeframe I need it. You should see the jack stands i quick ordered from Walmart. lol.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online

No members online now.