Winter time bad for 180 degree T stat?

caseypayne69

Reaction score
I have a Steeda 180 Therma Stat laying around in my garage and was thinking of finally dropping it in. Just never got around to it. Experts, is it a bad idea to have a 180 t stat in during the winter months of driving?

NERD

Reaction score
The crap of people saying they get bad MPG and there car runs like sh;t but their full of it... Put it in... I have one in mine and It really helped out when I was in the desert.

OP
OP
C

caseypayne69

Reaction score
Friend of mine with a 1980 Vette said it would run to cold in the winter. But that doesn't make sense.

S

scarface

I didnt notice any dfference between temp in the summer or winter with the 180 stat.

nyuk98gt

Reaction score
caseypayne69:

Just to add to what the other guys have posted.... The t-stat will maintain the coolant temperature at 180 F when the engine is running in any season. It won't run cooler in cold weather. I have datalogged in cold weather here (15 to 20 F) and the ECT is always around 180 F (t-stat set temperature). Now, running a 160 F t-stat is too cold unless you have some things adjusted in your tune. In this case, the t-stat set temperature is too close to some trigger points and the engine will not run well (and mileage will suffer).

My $0.02!

Chris

OP
OP
C

caseypayne69

Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up. The last time I attempted to unscrew the bolt holding the t stat. My buddy did it while I wasn't looking and snapped the bolt into the block. Towed it to a shop to let them drill it out and slapped on a new npi intake. I know I know don't nag I didn't get the PI but who cares.

I wish I had a torq wrench because I have no idea how hand tight it should be.

Jrgunn5150

Post Whore
Reaction score
A quarter turn is what I torque nearly everything external to.

quickstang_1994

Reaction score
No matter what thermostat you use you car will go to a certain temp.unless you have extreme cold. I dont run a thermostat and it stay at 190-205 in the summer and 180-190 in the winter(only goes above 195 when ac is on and its really hot outside)

Shocker98GT

Reaction score
The only time an engine would run too cold in the winter is in extreme cold or if the thermostat was faulty (stuck open). Regardless of the temperature thermostat you choose it will be capable of regulating it. I had a 195 degree thermostat in my truck, it stuck open in the winter and the engine ran very cold all the time (heat wouldn't even get lukewarm). Same could happen with another thermostat despite what flavor you choose.