Wiring Aftermarket Ignition Switch Panel

Chandler

Reaction score
Hi all,

My friend and I are currently building a 2000 GT for 24 Hours of Lemons/Champ Car endurance racing. We've ditched the stock column in place of a QuickCar switch panel and a Joe's kill switch and I need some help with wiring. As it stands now, here is the wiring setup:
  • Positive battery cable to kill switch;
  • Alternator to kill switch;
  • Kill switch jumper;
  • Kill switch to QuickCar panel;
  • Ground from QuickCar panel to roll cage;
We disassembled the ignition switch and have the following colored wires:
  • Green w/purple stripe
  • Green w/purple stripe
  • Red w/green stripe
  • Red w/black stripe
  • White w/pink stripe
  • Black w/green stripe
  • Grey w/yellow stripe
  • Grey w/yellow stripe
  • Yellow
  • Yellow
  • Yellow
We've tried combining these in different ways to get the "Ignition" switch on the QuickCar panel to essentially be like turning the key to "On" and hitting the button on the panel to be like turning the key to "Start" and cranking the engine over. No matter what combo we use, the gauge cluster illuminates the ABS light and the turn signals simultaneously (they are not blinking) and we can get the engine to turn over but we have no fuel pump, no dash lights, and I'm assuming no spark. My friend and I are both mechanically inclined but are nowhere near electricians, so we're throwing up the white flag on this and asking for help. If someone could give me a rudimentary wiring schematic for this that we could try and recommend any relays or other switches we'd need, that would be greatly appreciated. We do have the stock column available and have the anti-theft plugged in using the key, we're planning on disassembling that and mounting it under the dash once we get everything painted and assembled. We want to hear it run and get all of our connections made before we disassemble and paint. Also, since this is a race car, the dash is removed alongside the radio, HVAC controls, etc. We'd also like to get the blower motor switch wired to the panel too so we have a defroster, but that can come later. We are using the stock gauge cluster and mounted it to the roll cage. Thanks in advance for any help with this!

-Mark

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
my manual is only for 94/95 so I know it will not help much. Are you doing anything to bypass the factory pats system that reads the keys passive transponder through the key/ignition? It will take a fair amount of work to bypass this system.

OP
OP
C

Chandler

Reaction score
Hi ttocs,

We weren't planning on bypassing the PATS - we are going to mount the unit and chip from the key under the dash so that they're connected and enabled. In looking at diagrams I don't think the 94-95 will help much, I've actually been able to find a few of those and the wire colors are different. I'm hoping there's someone here who's wired in an aftermarket switch before and can help me out.

-Mark

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online