Wiring Fog Lights as DRLs...

Art_B

Reaction score
I have a '98 Mustang Convertible that does not have fog lights. I purchased a set of factory fog lights to install, but I also purchased low wattage LED bulbs (only 4w). I'd like to have them on ALL the time (like DRL's) and I was looking for suggestions as to what wire might be the best/easiest to tap into to run them. At only 4 watts each, I don't think I have to worry about a huge draw on any electrical system, so what might be close to the front end and under the hood?

Thanks...
Art

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
find a switched power source at the fuse box under the hood. Take a volt meter and it should only take a couple of minutes to find one.

Wood's 5.0

Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum. Are you going to put and use a factory fog light switch in the console or literally have them on all the time with no way to cut them off other than the key? IMO, it would be good to have the option. At any rate, ttocs gives good advice; a meter or test light will show you a switched power source. Tap & Go and make sure you have a good ground. Welcome.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Pretty sure all mustangs were wired for fog lights regardless if they came with them. Harness is in the console. Get you a fog light switch and plug it in and find the original plugs for the factory fogs.

Plus I do Believe there is a switched power wire in the console that people had used before to do the driving light option.

I can’t remember for sure but if you do a little searching you can find all the info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

07GtS197

Reaction score
It depends on the year. My 98 v6 wasnt wired for fog lights and I dont think it had the harness under the console either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Art_B

Art_B

Reaction score
Mine is a '98 V6 Convertible, I've not seen wiring for fog lights either. My plan was to find "switched" power under the hood (and as it has been suggested, I can search something down with a tester... but just wondered if someone had done this before and had a good/simple suggestion where to tap in) and have the LED powered fog lights act as DRL's (on all the time). Maybe I'll run a wire up to the console for a shutoff switch in the future, not sure at this point.

OP
OP
Art_B

Art_B

Reaction score
But what's irritating though, so many places (businesses and eBay) list the fog light switch for 94-04 as being the same, when what I need is the oval switch, and thus far have not found it....

99-04 switch
Fog_Light_Switch_new-edge.JPG

94-98 oval rocker switch
Fog_Light_Switch.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online