Would you make this deal?

ElrodKTPQ_89

Legend
Reaction score
I've gotten to the point where I'm tired of my DD, and really have the itch for something new/different. However, my truck is paid off and I do NOT want another truck payment so that kinda limits my options.

My truck is a 2008 F-150 STX, single/extra cab whatever you call it, in Dark blue. 105xxx miles
4.6 auto, 4WD with a manual transfer case.
40/20/40 bucket seats with a flip down center console. Tinted windows.
Power windows and door locks with cloth seats and rubber floor liner.
The only notable mods are a K&N drop in filter, Cherry Bomb muffler that's loud af, black billet grille and smoked headlights with HID's and a leveling kit. I have an aftermarket pioneer Bluetooth headunit and a set of OEM SVT Raptor wheels in my shop which need new tires. It's a pretty basic truck but a good dependable driver...I'm just kind of getting tired of a single cab.

My dad has been considering getting a new F-150, and ask me the other day what I thought about him trading in my truck for a new one, and letting me have his truck....it's a 2004 FX4 crew cab in dark grey. 171xxx miles
5.4L 3v, auto with electronic 4wd.
Leather seats with full center console in the front and console shifter. Over head storage rails. Tinted windows. K&N drop in filter. Stock exhaust. 2" leveling kit. Smoked headlights. Pretty decent BF Goodrich all terrain tires.
If I make the trade I will be keeping my Raptor wheels and putting them on the truck eventually with a new set of 35" tires (no clue what exact tires I want) and swapping my pioneer head unit into it and returning the stock CD player to my truck.

Pros of of my dads truck:
Well kept and properly maintained. Oil changed every 3K miles, recently had plugs and coils replaced.
More interior room. Leather seats over cloth seats in my truck.
5.4L vs. 4.6L
Electronic 4wd vs manual
Doesnt have as many scratches as my truck. Mine was used a lot for hunting and working on leased land so it's been in and out of some pretty thick trails etc.

Cons of the truck:
4 years older than mine
70xxx more miles than mine
Has a few dents from being hit by deer. I literally think he's hit close to a dozen deer since he's had the truck, but thankfully only has dents in the driver side rear door and part of the bed. The grill, bumper and bumper valance have all been replaced from deer encounters and were never painted so they are still black. The tailgate has a pretty good but fixable dent in the top of it from some mess up my dad did with a trailer.
Driver seat is showing some wear in the sides and outside edge but hell it has 170K on it so that's expected.

I'm sure I'm forgetting something but that at least covers the most notable things. I'm not in any hurry to make a decision. It's all just kinda speculation at this point, it's very possible for him to decide he doesn't need a new truck that bad and call it all off lol. But based on what info I have now what do you guys think? Would you make the deal or keep the truck I have for now and be content until something better comes along?

Reaction score
Interesting...I'd trade for like a week or 2. See how you like it. If it's a good fit for your weekly schedule then go for. If not then keep your current truck. Or get something else

chris91

Reaction score
I'd do the trade. The Fx4 package is nice. That's exactly what I'm tryin to find for the wife. Seems like all of the used ones have over 200k miles so I wouldn't let the mileage scare you.

And the extended cab trucks seem to hold their value better than the single cabs too.

OP
OP
ElrodKTPQ_89

ElrodKTPQ_89

Legend
Reaction score
Are you sure his 5.4l is the 3v?
Yessir!

Interesting...I'd trade for like a week or 2. See how you like it. If it's a good fit for your weekly schedule then go for. If not then keep your current truck. Or get something else
Thought about something like that. I've driven it multiple times but only for a day or two at a time.

I'd do the trade. The Fx4 package is nice. That's exactly what I'm tryin to find for the wife. Seems like all of the used ones have over 200k miles so I wouldn't let the mileage scare you.

And the extended cab trucks seem to hold their value better than the single cabs too.

I figured the same, that if I did the trade and decided down the road I wanted to get rid of it too that it would hold more value than my truck.

chris91

Reaction score
The truck market here in Ohio would probably have the Fx4 listed around 8-9k. If the body was in great shape it'd go for 10-12k. I've been searching for two months now for the perfect one if you can't tell. LoL

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I imagine the 5.4 is a 2v unless you guys swapped it.

Is his the 2004 Heritage model, so it still looks the same as the 97-03, or is it the same body as your truck?

Either way, the FX4 is a great package.

I would argue, probably the weakest point around the truck is the transmission. I don't know how long it might last without a tune up. My typical estimation with those is in the 200k range.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Honestly, I think I would do it. The crew cab trucks are more comfortable and I feel like they ride better because they are heavier (doesnt mean much with a lift and tires). The only thing that I would make me hesitate would be the cam phasers in the 3v. They will eventually need to be replaced, and the spark plug design used to suck and they would break when you tried to pull them. I think they updated that, though. I wouldnt be scared of it, just prepared for the work. I Think [MENTION=17635]Orange 94[/MENTION] did the cam gears in his truck not long ago.

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
The 2004 fx4 will be the same body style as his current truck (Since I dont think there was a fx4 heritage), so it'll have the 3v.
The fx4 was a nice trim, but there isn't a major appearance difference like the 2011-2015 fx4. I don't have a strong opinion on the trade without pictures.

As for the 3v...
Spark plugs suck, but not the end of the world with the removal kit. I'd assume they're already changed though? So you shouldn't have any issues now.
As for the cam phasers, don't screw around with them. Just do a lockout and you'll never have to worry. You just open them up, put a block inside and get a new tune. The cam phasers are a pain in the ass to get at, but you'll only have to do it once if you do the lockout.

OP
OP
ElrodKTPQ_89

ElrodKTPQ_89

Legend
Reaction score
OJ you are correct on the spark plugs, they suck major **** but yes they have been replaced. I know next to nothing about mod motors though so all the talk about cam phasers is new to me, I do have a few friends that do a lot of work on modulars though so if they do become an issue I do have a reliable source for getting them fixed.
And yea I know I don't really have many pictures of either truck right now but I can get some to add later. To put a label on it j would say my dads truck is a little "fancier" on the inside than mine lol. Chrome trim around the AC vents and on top of the shift knob. Chrome door handles. Carbon fiber style panels over the door handles and radio/AC bezel, large round tach and speedometer gauges and smaller round gauges for everything else. The biggest thing I don't like about it is the running boards, they gotta GO. I think with them gone, my grey raptor wheels and a black billet grille it would look pretty decent. But once again that's all just talk without having pictures to show.

ranger56528

Reaction score
The 2004 fx4 will be the same body style as his current truck (Since I dont think there was a fx4 heritage), so it'll have the 3v.
The fx4 was a nice trim, but there isn't a major appearance difference like the 2011-2015 fx4. I don't have a strong opinion on the trade without pictures.

As for the 3v...
Spark plugs suck, but not the end of the world with the removal kit. I'd assume they're already changed though? So you shouldn't have any issues now.
As for the cam phasers, don't screw around with them. Just do a lockout and you'll never have to worry. You just open them up, put a block inside and get a new tune. The cam phasers are a pain in the ass to get at, but you'll only have to do it once if you do the lockout.
I'm thinking of doing the lock out on my 05,the kit is like 700.00 and all ya need to do is get the valve covers off,kit comes with a interesting tool to keep the chain in place while pull the phaser out and take it apart to install the little block...

back to topic,your call but remember it's payed off.

chris91

Reaction score
The center console option on the Fx4 is what sold me. Plus they have skid plates underneath them too. They also come with Bilsteins if I'm not mistaken.

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
The center console option on the Fx4 is what sold me.
I dislike the center console, just seems goofy to me. I like column shifter.

I don't mind the console on the newer trucks, my dad has an ecoboost lariat and its very nice.

Nighttrain

Reaction score
Hmm, trade both in and get a dodge.....jk im a dodge guy so im biased but a quad cab would hold more value around here than a regular cab. There is something to say about manual 4wd, you know its in. But most trucks nowadays come with electric everything so....and they are more or less cars that sit up higher. People dont buy a truck for a truck anymore so you have to think about are you willing to take this one out in the sticks or is it too nice

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
senior001

Members online