03DSGGT's official Winter 2015 build thread (UPDATE 5/19 POST #81)

OP
OP
03DSGGT

03DSGGT

SN95 Supporting Member
Reaction score
[MENTION=14880]03DSGGT[/MENTION] you got any update for us?

No nothing yet. Now that the car is running I can shift my focus back to getting the rest of the sound deadener scraped out of the interior and getting the ARB the rest of the way installed and painted. The problem is that were setting records here for cold temps and I have no ambition to go out in this crap...lol I did talk to my tuner about bringing the car in for a retune in April, so I'll need to get out there and wrap things up soon...

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
That cold weather sucks lol. I like it cool and can even take it down to the teens but I have a feeling you are colder than that. Its in the 60's here today. April isn't very far away so you will have to get it together soon.

McCloud

Reaction score
I've got an Eddy/6061 intake combo on mine. I've got absolutely no low end power with my 9:1 CR and turbo cams. You mentioned research showing a spacer is good for these intakes. Care to share that? I'd thought about putting a spacer on mine awhile back to see if it helped with the low end. Is this the spacer that you're running?

OP
OP
03DSGGT

03DSGGT

SN95 Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've got an Eddy/6061 intake combo on mine. I've got absolutely no low end power with my 9:1 CR and turbo cams. You mentioned research showing a spacer is good for these intakes. Care to share that? I'd thought about putting a spacer on mine awhile back to see if it helped with the low end. Is this the spacer that you're running?

Yes, that's the spacer that Im running. Ive heard a few different things concerning spacers and Im not exactly sure which will be best for my setup. Ive read that the 4 hole spacer helps with low end, and it also helps evenly feed the runners on the Edelbrock intake since its a single plane intake. Ive also read that the open spacer is good because it increases plenum volume. Im not sure if the 4 hole will restrict airflow over the open spacer, so Im going to have the car tuned with both spacers to see if there is one that's better than the other...

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
No nothing yet. Now that the car is running I can shift my focus back to getting the rest of the sound deadener scraped out of the interior and getting the ARB the rest of the way installed and painted. The problem is that were setting records here for cold temps and I have no ambition to go out in this crap...lol I did talk to my tuner about bringing the car in for a retune in April, so I'll need to get out there and wrap things up soon...

I feel your pain man, this weather is getting ridiculous. -13 this morning. And just when it warms up for the weekend, we are supposed to get 3-5" of snow. Good luck getting the rest of it buttoned up! It'll be spring before we know it, and the summit racing parking lot will be full of classics again.

OP
OP
03DSGGT

03DSGGT

SN95 Supporting Member
Reaction score
I cant wait. I ran up to Summit yesterday and it was depressing to see huge snow mountains all over the place in their parking lot..lol

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
I cant wait. I ran up to Summit yesterday and it was depressing to see huge snow mountains all over the place in their parking lot..lol
I know man, I bought my PI intake and gaskets there... It looked like a salty snow covered desert. I feel like I can hear my truck rusting lol

OP
OP
03DSGGT

03DSGGT

SN95 Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know man, I bought my PI intake and gaskets there... It looked like a salty snow covered desert. I feel like I can hear my truck rusting lol

I hear ya, my poor ranger is starting to get some serious rust issues and its only an 06....

OP
OP
03DSGGT

03DSGGT

SN95 Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not too much going on with the car. I ended up reinstalling my HID headlight and fog light kit. I had the HIDs and removed them because I had the ballasts mounted on the front crash bar, and I had a ballast that was going bad, so I removed the HIDs and mounted my catch can on the crash bar. I was running 10K head lights and fog lights, and decided to switched it up a little bit. I bough some cheap ballasts off ebay, as well as some 8K Bi Xenon headlight bulbs, and 3K yellow fogs. I then made a bracket for my catch can that bolts to the crash bar so I can run the ballasts where I had them originally. Now with this done I can refocus on the rear of the car and getting it ready for the road:

Heres the drivers side ballasts:

Heres the passengers side. I made a bracket that bolts to the crash bar and holds the catch can. I made it so I can run the ballasts on the crash bar just like the drivers side:

Heres the new look with the different color HIDs. I had no idea that you could get replacement parts so cheaply off ebay. I paid big money for these kits from Stangmods 10 years ago. When that ballast went bad a couple years ago, I removed them because I thought that I had to spend $50 for a replacement ballast. I bought all 4 brand new ballasts for $35 shipped, and 4 new bulbs for $29 shipped. So if I get a summer or two out of the new parts Ill be happy:

OP
OP
03DSGGT

03DSGGT

SN95 Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, tomorrow is the day. I will be driving out to PA to drop the car off at Street Lethal to get the car tuned with the Eddy intake and 90mm MAF. Im driving it out with my current MAF, and will be switching over to the 90mm in the parking lot when I get there. The tuner said that it will save me some money if I switch it myself, so Im good with that. So I went over the car, torqued the lugs, filled the tires, topping it off with gas later, and I took a few pics. Im planning on picking the car up on the 23rd, so I should have numbers around then:

Engine bay completed:

She's filthy, but the shop is on a dirt road, so Ill clean it up when I get it back:

Here's my poor man's race seat lol. I didn't want to spend a ton of money on a race seat that I only use a few times a year, and I didn't want a cheap, flimsy, non-adjusting race seat that was going to be uncomfortable. My buddy had his passenger seat from his '94 that he scrapped sitting in the rafters of his garage. So he gave it to me and I gutted it and removed the headrest to lighten it up, and I bought a drivers side seat belt receiver on ebay and bolted it to the seat since the 99-04 cars seat belt receivers are on the seat and the 94-98 are on the floor. Now I have a comfortable adjustable seat that bolts right in and sorta looks like it belongs there:

Here's the 90mm MAF and my artillery of tools that Ill need. I removed my fender liner to make the swap easy. I also did a dry run swap in my garage last night to make sure I have everything I need:

Here's a quick shot of my Baseline Suspensions anti roll bar installed. I welded everything up and gave it a quick coat of paint, then strip caulked around the plates to make it all water tight. I can notice a difference in how the car handles with the ARB hooked up. It should work well at the track:

So hopefully this stupid thing makes more power with the intake and makes the swap worth it. I hope my next update to this thread is a positive one!

chris91

Reaction score
Very nice man! Any reason you're going all the way to PA for a tune?

Also quick question for ya. You think I should upgrade to a Lighting MAF with my setup? Fox Lake Stage 2 Heads and Hitech Stage 2 cams with supporting mods. Still has the PI intake but has a Dragon Plenum and Pro Products 75mm TB. Planned on picking up a JLT CAI to replace this junk BBK CAI I already have.

OP
OP
03DSGGT

03DSGGT

SN95 Supporting Member
Reaction score
thanks man. The shop is in PA, but its only like an hour from my house. Terry at Street Lethal has been tuning this car for about 5 years now. Ive had other shops tune it in the past, and he is hands down the best at getting the car dialed in. Even with the huge cams he can get the part throttle street manners almost like stock. The other shop I used had the car running like crap with just stage 2 cams. I couldn't hardly get the car to start when it was cold. So Terry will be doing all of my tuning from now on.

As for the MAF, Im not sure if its necessary for you to do at this point. Heck, Im not even sure if it will do anything for me. I have the stock one in my car currently that's set up to run with the 30# injectors. I got the 90mm for a good price, and Ive seen where some guys needed it around 350-360 rwhp. Im not sure how accurate that is, but hey Ill give it a shot...

OP
OP
03DSGGT

03DSGGT

SN95 Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was going to but it was going to get pretty expensive fast because he said not only did he have to charge labor to change them, but he would have to dial in the tune for each spacer, so it would easily double what my retune would cost. The wife and I have a vacation that were going on in June, so I need to keep it simple and save money for that. I ended up putting the open spacer on the car, because I believe that if one is going to make more power than the other, it would be the open spacer vs. the 4 hole.

chris91

Reaction score
Yeah I was kinda thinking it wouldnt be necessary for me. I too have 30lb injectors on mine with the stock maf. It runs great but it has what almost feels like a miss at partial/steady throttle. I plan on having it dyno tuned this summer though. Currently running a remote tune from Dirty Dirty Racing.

OP
OP
03DSGGT

03DSGGT

SN95 Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, this really doesn't pertain to my car, but I figured Id throw this in here. Some of you may remember that I went through my buddys '96 Tangerine vert. about 4 years ago. He got married and wanted the car gone through so he could drive it on his wedding day. He got married in April of 2012, drove it that summer, put it away for winter, and it has sat in the garage ever since. He and his wife got pregnant on their honeymoon, he ended up getting a new job with a ton of hours, so life happened pretty quick and the car just sat. He contemplated selling the car, and I almost bought it, but I have my own things going on, so I passed on it. Well his son is 2 1/2 now and really has an interest in cars, particularly Mustangs. My buddy wanted to do a monster build on the car with 550-600 hp. That plan has gone out the window, and now he just wants the car drivable so him and his little guy can cruise around with the top down. Yesterday he called to bring the car over to my house since mine is at the tuners. The car was dead. He went and bought a battery and still nothing. I went over to give him a hand, as I suspected the starter was froze from sitting. Tapped the starter with a hammer but still nothing. So I ended up pulling the starter off the car and having it tested, and sure enough it was junk. Threw a new starter on it, and it fired up like it was driven the day before. We took it over to my house, and I started the tear down. The car smoked pretty bad once the off road H pipe went on, but at the time he didn't want to fool with valve seals since he planned on building a motor. Well, since that has changed, the seals need to be addressed. So I started pulling the engine apart. I got the engine torn down in about an hour and the drivers side seals replaced in about an hour and a half by myself. Its a tedious job, but not too bad. Im also installing my stock PI valve springs from my car. They only have about 36,000 miles on them vs. his that have 150,000, and since hes running my PI cams, the springs will go well with them. Heres a few pics of my progress:

Heres what I started with:

After tearing the motor down:

Pulled and inspected the lash adjusters, cam followers and plugs. Everything looks good. I have a set of NGK TR6 plugs with about an hour of run time on them that Im going to throw in it:

New seals and my PI springs on the right, old stuff going in the junk box:

Couple pics of the car. Its held up decent for sitting in a non heated garage for almost 3 years, but it needs a good cleaning, which Ill do for him:

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
Can't wait to see the numbers on your car, and great work on the tangerine! Wish I could get the top apart that fast!

OP
OP
03DSGGT

03DSGGT

SN95 Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can't wait to see the numbers on your car, and great work on the tangerine! Wish I could get the top apart that fast!

Thanks man. I got all of the seals and springs switched out in about 2.5 hours. Having never done them in the car before, I was expecting the worst based on horror stories that I've read, but I'd do it again no problem.

I'm really looking forward to see the numbers on my junk. Well see...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online