2000 GT Convertible cleanup

OP
OP
M

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
Convertible visibility sucks with top up. Wouldn’t mind the rear camera. I back into garage sometimes and it’s a bit tight.

Plus the radio has the feature so might as well use it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
wired in.

IMG_7416.jpeg

I am having some issues with the metra 70-5510 harness. This connection is giving me so much trouble due to poor connections. I can’t get all 4 pairs of speakers working at the same time due to poor connection. I ordered another just to try one more.

IMG_7418.jpeg

Rear camera. Want to test before I install. Will drill into the deck lid right above the plate.
IMG_7419.jpeg

badass98svt

Reaction score
Yeah that speaker adapter was a super tight fit when I did it too. Once I got it, I ran a ziptie around to keep it all together.

I can't believe you're going to drill a hole in the trunk. That doesn't sound like you at all. Why not go with one that's mounted in the plate frame, or pull the lock and install it in there?

OP
OP
M

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
Have you seen my trunk? It’s junk. I need to find a clean black 01-04 trunk anyway.

I think when you see where I put it, it’s not too obnoxious at all. I’m actually not a fan of the plate frame ones either.

badass98svt

Reaction score
Have you seen my trunk? It’s junk. I need to find a clean black 01-04 trunk anyway.

I think when you see where I put it, it’s not too obnoxious at all. I’m actually not a fan of the plate frame ones either
I was thinking you'd do this, but I do remember seeing your trunk, and you mentioned trying to source a replacement

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
I saw that video but didn't want to go that route. I don't use the key but hated the idea of deleting it.

Gonna drill for now. If i hate it, i'll do something different when I finally find a replacement trunk. Hard to find because of all the damn scammers out there. If you come across a clean 01+ black trunk let me know. Don't need the spoiler.

OP
OP
M

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
Wrapped up the wiring. I ended up trimming the adapter harness so I could insert the pins fully into the OE harness. Seemed to work. A couple zip ties to make sure it doesn’t come off.

Still need to run the rear camera cable and install but the head unit part is hooked up.

Overall the radio has nice EQ features to help dial in the sound. I’m using all the original Mach amps and speakers, so you can only expect so much but I do think it’s an improvement over the stock Mach head unit. Sounds half decent in my garage with top up. Will need to see how it does outside with top down.

IMG_7430.jpeg

But wireless CarPlay seems to work decent. No obnoxious lag. I might add in a small sub/amp combo at some point.

Now to see if I can change the boot logo to a Mustang.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
But interior done. Only change I’ll make is I’ll install the silver IUP trim in the spring when I can properly dye the shift bezel. Too cold right now to spray paint
IMG_7432.jpeg

badass98svt

Reaction score
You can definitely change the boot logo. There's a few sites out there that have them if you Google what your looking for specifically.

Bronco2Fan

Reaction score
Got my Sig Avatar from some goggle site, don't remember which. Old age sucks lol.

OP
OP
M

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
Rear camera mounted. Need to finish snaking the wire to the rear and tap into power and the reverse lights

IMG_7458.jpeg

badass98svt

Reaction score
Found a site. Just need to pick one and see if it meets the criteria for the boot screen and background.

I think this one would look nice as a boot screen

View attachment 31913

That's what I was saying when I mentioned searching on Google. If you search for Kenwood Mustang screensavers or anything similar it should pull up a few forums that make them. You should be able to find one that is already the right sizing etc.

OP
OP
M

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
Logo is easy.

800x480 in jpg format. Stick on usb.

Have a few to choose from haven’t decided which I like yet

IMG_7487.jpeg

Haven’t found the method for changing the boot logo. Still looking. A few methods mentioned are for older radios

OP
OP
M

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
Rear camera done. Also found an adapter to replace the cig lighter with that connects to the radio. So now I have a convienent USB in.

IMG_7528.jpeg

That’s really it for interior. I do have the silver IuP radio bezel, so I’ll swap that in once I find the matching shifter bezel.

Left on my to-do list.

Alignment
Hood scoop install
Paint correction.
Replace leaking ac line (on order)
Also need to replace the gas tank filler seal.

Sound prob give the car a wash and then work on the hood first so I can install the scoop.

Gas tank is 3/4 full, so need to wait a bit for the filler seal.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
Pulled the cluster, swapped in some size 74 LEDs

Camera adds to the intensity. It’s not as bright in real life. It’s just a nice clean even blue now.
IMG_7565.jpeg

Next up, gotta swap out the HVAC bulbs. Then I’ll have to work on swapping out the green LeDs in the 2001+ buttons and swapping them to blue to match the 94-00 shade of blue Ford used
IMG_7566.jpeg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Srchop16

Members online