2000 GT Convertible cleanup

OP
OP
M

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
Wow Mike, you aren't wasting any time getting started. Looks fantastic, just as I'd expect from you.

Funny about the consoles, when I was searching for mine, all I could find was parchment.

Saw this one on eBay. Same price as I paid for mine.

I saw that one. Only parchment one i could find on ebay. Was kinda hoping to find one that wasn't in Estonia and a little nicer.

Going to reach out to MPS and some of the other Mustang parts recyclers and see if they have any. Not a whole lot of Parchment interior stuff on ebay. I imagine it just doesn't sell well as most folks hate tan interiors

TBH i thought about swapping to medium grey or even Oxford White, but finding those interior parts is just as hard short of finding a complete car in a boneyard that hasn't been torn up yet. charcoal is everywhere, but I want a lighter interior colors in a convertible. Plus all my other cars already have black interior.

Last edited:

Snorky

Reaction score
I saw that one. Only parchment one i could find on ebay. Was kinda hoping to find one that wasn't in Estonia and a little nicer.

Going to reach out to MPS and some of the other Mustang parts recyclers and see if they have any. Not a whole lot of Parchment interior stuff on ebay. I imagine it just doesn't sell well as most folks hate tan interiors

TBH i thought about swapping to medium grey or even Oxford White, but finding those interior parts is just as hard short of finding a complete car in a boneyard that hasn't been torn up yet. charcoal is everywhere, but I want a lighter interior colors in a convertible. Plus all my other cars already have black interior.
You can buy an assload of the spray from LMR and make it an oreo interior. Mimick the older 94-95 2 tone dash and door cards.

OP
OP
M

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
You can buy an assload of the spray from LMR and make it an oreo interior. Mimick the older 94-95 2 tone dash and door cards.

I seriously thought about it, but seats was what kinda nixxed that idea. I have always loved that color scheme when i first saw it back in the 1990's. Even today it still looks great.

But total cost of that project is what killed the idea. TMI was the only upholstery shop that made the oxford white seat covers. It was $1600 for the covers and foam and I would still need to track down a set of donor 94-98 seats to use. Interior panels are hard to find, so everything would have had to be dyed. Easily another couple hundred in paint.

The covers for my existing parchment seats were $400 from another vendor. I've seen pics of the end product and they look pretty darn good. I have another set of donor seats with good foam, so in the end it was just more cost effective. Not trying to dump a whole lot of money into this car. I just want to clean it up, have fun with it for a couple summers, and then likely sell it for an 03/04 cobra convertible. With that endgame in mind, I wouldn't get my $2K back on the oxford white seats when it comes time to sell the car.

BUT, i did think about bringing the dark parchment color of the dash down into the door panels and rear quarter panels. I just can't decide if i'll like it. I have the paint. The only thing holding me back is that the dark color just looks very brown and not sure i want that much brown in the interior. I'll have to think about it. It might requie pulling the dash to respray the top part to match. If i do that, i might as well go black.

Eh for now, we'll just stick with stock.

Last edited:

Snorky

Reaction score
I seriously thought about it, but seats was what kinda nixxed that idea. I have always loved that color scheme when i first saw it back in the 1990's. Even today it still looks great.

But total cost of that project is what killed the idea. TMI was the only upholstery shop that made the oxford white seat covers. It was $1600 for the covers and foam and I would still need to track down a set of donor 94-98 seats to use. Interior panels are hard to find, so everything would have had to be dyed. Easily another couple hundred in paint.

The covers for my existing parchment seats were $400 from another vendor. I've seen pics of the end product and they look pretty darn good. I have another set of donor seats with good foam, so in the end it was just more cost effective. Not trying to dump a whole lot of money into this car. I just want to clean it up, have fun with it for a couple summers, and then likely sell it for an 03/04 cobra convertible. With that endgame in mind, I wouldn't get my $2K back on the oxford white seats when it comes time to sell the car.

BUT, i did think about bringing the dark parchment color of the dash down into the door panels and rear quarter panels. I just can't decide if i'll like it. I have the paint. The only thing holding me back is that the dark color just looks very brown and not sure i want that much brown in the interior. I'll have to think about it. It might requie pulling the dash to respray the top part to match. If i do that, i might as well go black.

View attachment 30399

Eh for now, we'll just stick with stock.
I feel you on the tmi price. I lucked out with sales and got the front foams and the white vinyls for 1200 total. I thought about the leather and said fuck that. It's just the part your back and butt touches. I sweat regardless of the fabric.

As for too much brown. You can always throw a black carpet in to offset it. The brown Going down the doors is pretty cool to me. Guess I've just seen way too many interiors all one color. My dark charcoal green car being one of them.

OP
OP
M

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
Guess I've just seen way too many interiors all one color. My dark charcoal green car being one of them.

If you were to see my vehicle history, it's nothing but black cars with black interiors. My daily driver, and my Fox are black/black cars. I certainly wouldn't mind a dark Charcoal interior, but it's actually nice to get into a car with something other than black. I contempated swapping to DC, but considering the car is a convertible, I wasn't keen on driving with the top down in a black interior.

Now that it's clean and fresh, it doesn't look half bad. I think parchment just doesn't age well at all, which makes it look much worse. All the dirt gets trapped in the texture like i showed above and it just starts to look....brown and dirty.

Interior redye is done. I didn't take a pic. Out comes the seats and carpet. Going to install some foam insulation around the trans tunnel to try and cut down on heat coming up from it, and then the NOS parchment carpet and ACC floormats go in.

After that...gonna mount the 01-04 hood scoop.

Bronco2Fan

Reaction score
Really nice work for sure. Makes me kinda jealous, I need to spend more time on mine. Please enlighten me as to how the Convertible trim is removed, as I really need to do mine too.

OP
OP
M

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
Please enlighten me as to how the Convertible trim is removed, as I really need to do mine too.
/
Are you referring to the well trim around the outside?

First, drop the top. If you pop the trunk, there are 6-7 screws inside the channel that you can see from the rear.

For the side trim pieces, there are only 3 screws. One is on the inside of the channel about where the bend is for the side well trim. Just poke your head over and you will see it as it's in the open. The other two screws are inside the trim where the rear windows roll down. You don't need to remove the panels, but be careful with the screws when you remove them so you don't drop them down into the pocket. If you do, i believe there are #6 screws 1/2 long.

After all the screws are out you can remove it all in one piece, or just lift one side at a time and remove from the center trim.

Scuff, paint as needed and reinstall. I actually bought a spare trims from Ebay so i could paint it casually and take my time, and then did a swap out. I may send my original trim out for powdercoat, depending on how well the SEM trim black holds up. So far it still looks good as new and up until recently my car stayed parked outside.

OP
OP
M

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
Last shot of the faded old carpet in the car

1701313158287.png

I had some leftover Kilmat and insulating foam from when I did my FOx, so I wanted to get rid of it. Just layed down what i had and put foam around the tunnel to try and cut down on heat intrusion.

1701313211894.png

OP
OP
M

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
And in with the NOS carpet. Feels so nice!

1701313254062.png

Floormats are in the mail. You can see where I'm going with the pedals here.

1701313290264.png

frank336

Reaction score
Did score some exterior well trim. Sand, paint and now to find time to swap it over

View attachment 29473

Discovered my car had a crappy Dorman intake on it. With the PI intake being discontinued, I’m happy I managed to track one down. Technically it’s a crown Vic intake. Part number 9W7Z-9424-A

Not many left.

View attachment 29474
Nice car man, really enjoying the results!! My black trim are also faded, are they hard to remove? I'd like to sand/paint mine as well!

OP
OP
M

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
Mats came in.

I ordered off LMR, but they drop shipped from ACC. Now that I see their color coding, I could have gotten these much cheaper off RockAuto. ACC calls this color “sandalwood”

Yeah, I haven’t peeled the plastic off the NoS carpet. I might not :)

Color match is close enough
IMG_6587.jpeg

OP
OP
M

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
‘01-04 console arrived. Sitting next to me 99-00 console.

In pretty decent shape. Waiting for my e brake boot from Redlinegoods and then install time. The 01-04 parking brake is different than 94-00 but with the aftermarket boot I don’t think it will be an issue. Only an issue if I had the stock boot just with how it clips to the handle.

IMG_6598.jpeg

Need to transfer the 99-00 wiring harness over, and extend the convertible top switch to the new location, and extend the fog light harness up to the radio bezel spot.

Added bonus, a ford convertible top switch that has all the wording on it. Usually these wear to nothing and are blank.
IMG_6599.jpeg

badass98svt

Reaction score
‘01-04 console arrived. Sitting next to me 99-00 console.

In pretty decent shape. Waiting for my e brake boot from Redlinegoods and then install time. The 01-04 parking brake is different than 94-00 but with the aftermarket boot I don’t think it will be an issue. Only an issue if I had the stock boot just with how it clips to the handle.

View attachment 30577

Need to transfer the 99-00 wiring harness over, and extend the convertible top switch to the new location, and extend the fog light harness up to the radio bezel spot.

Added bonus, a ford convertible top switch that has all the wording on it. Usually these wear to nothing and are blank.
View attachment 30578
Yes the redline will work great. I did the exact same thing.

OP
OP
M

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
Extended the defrost switch by soldering on wires to run to my new switch. The 94-00 switch has an internal relay, while the 01-04 switch uses an external relay. Because of this I had to reuse the relay in my old switxh

IMG_6718.jpeg

Blocked off the hole with an early SN95 delete plate. I’ll grab a clean 01-04 cluster surround when I track one down

IMG_6727.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RevJon

Members online