2004 v6 chugging intermittantly.

dberner

Reaction score
My 04 convertible 3.9 will run fine for weeks and then chug at all speeds and rpm's. Motor never quits but it is very annoying. Have changed o2 sensors, fuel pump, cam positioning sensor and Cats. Any help would be appreciated.

shovel

Reaction score
This is probably going to end up being the coil pack. Don't just replace it without testing it. It's not a complicated system.

SMP FD498 (without any other letters at the end) is worth the small $ over buying the cheapest one.

r3dn3ck

Reaction score
Plugs. They do have to be changed once in a while. I had this exact thing happen after replacing the plugs on my old Cobalt Sedan SS. One of the insulators broke and fell down, coming into contact with the strap. Under heavy loads it would sputter like Joe Biden trying to cobble together a sentence. Replaced the bad plug (it failed within a few dozen miles of installation) and everything back to boogersnot.

shovel

Reaction score
Why I said test the coil pack before just replacing it

OP
OP
D

dberner

Reaction score
Nothing is working. The car is completely dead when it cuts out. But it never dies to a stop. Except the gauges work. No codes....

r3dn3ck

Reaction score
Well, you've either got an ignition problem or a fueling problem. Check your fuel filter. Have the injectors ultrasonically cleaned and tested. Consider the age of the fuel pump and strainer. If the strainer is almost clogged you could see that effect. If the fuel pump is on its way out you could see the same effect. If you have one bad plug that could cause the same effect. Why not do us a solid and tell us everything you've done in your troubleshooting and all the mods done to the car from the A-pillar forward and from the c-pillar rearward.

OP
OP
D

dberner

Reaction score
***UPDATE!!***
FIXED WITH A FUEL RAIL PRESSURE SENSOR.
Stock v6 no upgrades. I have changed the fuel pump and filter, replaced the cam positioning sensor, O2 sensors, exhaust system, plugs and wires, coil pack, battery and tested the alternator.

Last edited:

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
You havent cleaned the mass air sensor yet.

Is the air intake stock?

Does it have a KN air filter replacement?

Could be leaky injectors.

Could be bad, brittle vaccum lines.

OP
OP
D

dberner

Reaction score
***UPDATE!!***
FIXED WITH A FUEL RAIL PRESSURE SENSOR.
Stock v6 no upgrades. I have changed the fuel pump and filter, replaced the cam positioning sensor, O2 sensors, exhaust system, plugs and wires, coil pack, battery and tested the alternator.
Fixed with Fuel rail pressure sensor.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Aw your car is a 04. A friend had problems with his fps once. The diaphragm within the sensor busted and pumped fuel into the intake manifold. Car wouldnt start and was heavy on the gas smell. We pull of the vacuum line and gas came out. The manifold had a quart of fuel in it, the oil pan was full of gas....it was a mess.

OP
OP
D

dberner

Reaction score
Aw your car is a 04. A friend had problems with his fps once. The diaphragm within the sensor busted and pumped fuel into the intake manifold. Car wouldnt start and was heavy on the gas smell. We pull of the vacuum line and gas came out. The manifold had a quart of fuel in it, the oil pan was full of gas....it was a mess.
We are good. Had the oilchanged and was good.

r3dn3ck

Reaction score
Very glad you got out of that without any major discomfort. Rock on!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online