2004 Comp Orange GT - the Daily / Project / Money Pit

ctandc

Reaction score
New to SN95s but not to Mustangs and definitely not wrenching. Long story - bought a '19 GT 6spd new in 9/19. Base. Swapped in Sync 4, did some other mods, beat on it like it owed me money. Drove it daily. 3 years and 35K+ miles later, went to the local dealer to finalize the deal on my wife's '22 Bronco 2 door we had ordered. We were trading in her '17 Mustang Ragtop (Ecoboost Premium) and after getting more than we paid for it used two years prior, the dealer jokingly asked if my car was for sale. I replied with a number. 30 minutes later he was $250 shy of that number. Away it went. He paid me MORE than I paid for it new including taxes, tags and license in '19.

So I started daily driving our '12 F150 FX4 (Coyote powered). It was an estate sale truck. Had 40K on it when we bought it in '18. Nice truck and I need a truck fairly often. Soul sucking to drive that thing everyday. Before the F150, EVERY daily drive I've had for 15+ years had three pedals. Then the same dealer saw the truck when I was picking up a part for the wife's Bronco. He made it offer. Away it went. It cost us very little to own / drive that truck for 40k+ miles and 5 years. Couldn't say no. Around the same time I had just sold the '95 Bronco I had restored for my son's daily. He needed something that would allow him to FIT into parking garages and be okay with leaving it parked for days / weeks at a time when he as on the road.

Found a '03 Mustang 3.8 locally. 150K. BONE stock mechanically. Mint interior and exterior is ridiculously clean, been garaged / covered apparently it's whole life (Came with a $300 custom car cover). I forget how fun these little cars were to drive. So I kind of randomly looked on FB marketplace for a 5 speed GT. Focused on '94-95 5.0 cars or PI cars. Found a '04 in MD (I'm in VA). The ad was a picture of a flyer printed out by the seller's wife. You know the kind where you tear off a piece of it with their phone number? I got lucky and caught it a few minutes after she posted it.

IMG_4657.jpeg

Always loved this color. PO owner bought it 15+ years ago. I'm the 3rd owner. Original owner bought it new, added I'm guessing a Vortech SC (it had an oil cooler line plumbed into the stock pan, it's blocked off now). Also added Ford Performance pedals, likely a performance clutch, aftermarket firewall adjuster and quadrant, a shifter and among a few other things - 4.10 gears.

Original NY car. No ROT. Only found a few sports of purely surface rust underneath. Always garaged or covered apparently. Interior is mint.

About those gears - the PO bought it with 50K on it. He didn't modify anything. He also never bothered to tune the car to correct the speedometer for the gears. So it showed 96K legit miles on it when I bought it. Actually @ 85K if you could the fact the speedometer was 25% fast because of the gears LOL.

Faded front bumper, no damage. PO paid somebody to try and paint the rear bumper (faded) and apparently they thought prep work was purely optional. No mud / filler or other damage I can find. I'll yank both bumpers get the paint scanned and mixed and shoot 'em myself.

Car apparently has every option you could get in '04 for a 5spd GT. Including the original and FULLY functional Mach 1000 stereo with (2) trunk mounted subs and the amps / rack in the trunk and the stock deck. Couldn't help but laugh when the 70 some year old PO's wife said "The young man who owned before us must have really liked his music!!!" When I told them it was the FACTORY system they looked at me like I was nuts.

No drips, noises or anything on the hour + ride home.

Front wheels felt a little loose when I got it up on a buddy's lift. One tie rod was replaced (found the receipt for a Autozone part from years ago). Both ball joints were OEM and had ripped boots. Replaced both with MOOG. Replaced the Autozone tie rod with MOOG, will replace the other OEM outer when I do pads / rotors this week. Brakes were Motorcraft pads that looked new, in wear, but been on their so long the plate backing plates were coming unglued LOL.

Eibach Pro springs in the front, can still read the part numbers LOL. It's got some old school (probably done in 04 or 05) mid length headers that run into a mid pipe with one set of aftermarket cats, an X, then what look and sound like old school chambered Flowmasters. Exhaust is in good shape. Headers could use a new coating. Sounds good too LOL.

Been driving it for several days. Need to get a MGW shifter ordered and a few other small things.

wmfateam

Reaction score
Love it. That and Electric Green have to be two of the best "odd" colors found made in the early 2000s.

OP
OP
C

ctandc

Reaction score
Some more parts came in. So last night after work I went out to the shop and got to work. Got it up on jack stands - I want to power flush the brake fluid when I'm done changing front rotors and pads. I haven't looked at rear brakes yet - I'm sure I'll be tearing into those as well.

IMG_4742.jpeg

The infamous Comp Orange multicolor front bumper. And the LH headlight I need to replace. The LH is aftermarket. The RH is Ford. Can't find any evidence of front end damage, hell the styrofoam bumper crash absorber is still installed, but it was replaced (likely a long time ago). I think I'll just replace both with CAPA parts from RockAuto. I already installed good bulbs - someone had put some kind of blue shaded bulbs in there a LONG time ago.

IMG_4745.jpeg

This is the only 'rust' I've found. It's not even scaled. Just surface. Later on I'll knock it down with a wire brush and hit it with some sealer. Might use this spot to test out the Comp Orange paint match.

IMG_4743.jpeg

Interior. Original floor mat on LH side has a hole and the driver's side window switch surround clip is broken. I did find a bolt in phone mount online. $20. Metal bracket bolts into the HVAC control bolts. Works great. Hurst T handle is my addition. They had a HUGE Comp Orange shifter ball. That T Handle is over 20 years old and been on more cars than I can count. It'll likely go away when I order my MGW shifter - I love their Gripper shifter knob - had it in my '19 GT.

Ordered the Ford OEM switch trim. Still available. Aftermarket part is like $40 on most sites. OEM part sometimes listed for upwards of $80. Used my normal online Ford Parts site and ordered the trim AND the fuel filler tank gasket (Random P0442 small EVAP leak code) pops up every 75 miles or so. I checked the gasket. It's torn. Shocker.

Anyway ordered the Ford gasket and the trim for less than $70 shipped to my door.

IMG_4744.jpeg

The part of the car that makes me shake my head and laugh every time I pop the trunk or turn up the stereo (Radio - I desperately need to get a Carplay receiver in there). Everything works. I haven't had the heart to start removing it yet. We'll see.

FYI - I ran a Marti report on this car for the hell of it.

2,268 04 Mustang GT coupes built in Comp Orange
1,105 04 Mustang GT couples built with the same paint / trim codes this car has.

It has the "Interior Upgrade Package" - whatever that is. It does have a 40th Anniversary badge on the shifter bezel. I know it's not a 40th (Apparently that can be a sore subject among some owners LOL) edition.

What I find amusing?
Only 1,560 2004 Mustang GT Coupes got the "Mach 1000" Stereo System. LOL

I find the production numbers interesting is all. This will not be a garage queen (why?) and will get driven A LOT.

14,509 2004 Mustang GT coupes w/ 5 spd built - I wonder how many survived? LOL. I know of TWO that didn't. A guy I served with ordered one brand new. He totaled it within a few months. I think it was white. The other one was a random car I remember in a junkyard years ago looking for parts for another project. I remember because the paint was pristine (yellow) on one side. The other side looked like it got hit by a dump truck. I remember thinking I should have taken the seats - they were mint. LOL.

Got the new coated rotors and ceramic pads on and the RH new MOOG outer tie rod.

IMG_4747.jpeg

Took off the rear wheels to check the rear brakes (not bad - just old). Decided to flush / bleed all the old fluid out of the system. Mr. Murphy showed up. Apparently the power brake bleeder (hooks to the compressor) I bought a couple of years ago decided to break at the handle where the air fitting goes. So I broke out the decade old MityVac and proceeded to wear my hands out.

I'll bed the brakes in later today. I needed a drink and I need to order another power brake bleeder.

Steeda clutch cable (couldn't find an OEM - or couldn't find one for under $200 - no thanks) should be here tomorrow.

07GtS197

Reaction score
Nice project. I need another one now that my 02 is totalled and I sold my 17 gt.

When you replace the one headlight, I suggest buying used. All aftermarket headlights for these cars suck.

OP
OP
C

ctandc

Reaction score
When you replace the one headlight, I suggest buying used. All aftermarket headlights for these cars suck.
I figured the same. Buddy of mine has owned / run a body shop for years. He said the CAPA Approved replacements work great and if you buy from someplace like Rockauto they aren't expensive.

Reaction score
Love that color the first new edge I drove as a 19 year old mechanic was an orange 5 speed like that, so fun to drive, looks like a cool project!

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
It has the "Interior Upgrade Package" - whatever that is.

The interior upgrade package was a $325 option for 2003 and 2004 GT's and V6's that added:

Silver shifter trim bezel and radio bezel surround
Silver door poppers
Bullitt style pedals
Large style, folding headrests

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online