Coil Over?

atrainsgt

Reaction score
Hey guys I have been trying to decide what I want to do with my suspension for several months now and after reading Dalamar's thread I think I want to go with coil overs. I was looking at the Maximum Motorsports coil over kit with springs for tokico/koni struts for $369.00 what else should I buy for the front while I am at it? I know I'll need struts and CC plates also but what would you all recommend? How much of a drop can I expect from this? I'm just going to do the front for now so I don't wrap up a bunch of cash right now. Thanks

Links to the stuff I'm looking at.
http://www.maximummotorsports.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=802
http://www.maximummotorsports.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=252
http://www.maximummotorsports.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=507

vermilion

Legend
Reaction score
coil overs are adjustable. and gas adjust will accommodate that. def the c/c plates.

Zwolaver21

Reaction score
have you seen the MMR front coil over kit? It is alot cheeper than that one

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I sure like mine. you can get the car sitting right where you want it.
Good struts, coilovers and 4-bolt CC plates would cover the front.

What are you doing on the rear?
you should check with MM so they can recommend the best spring rate for your goals.

you can drop it like 3", but much past 2" and it rides like a tank, BC there's not much travel left in the A arms.
I'm at about 2" drop on the front.

OP
OP
A

atrainsgt

Reaction score
I may just do some lowering springs in the rear for now but I plan on doing the coil over conversion for the rear also and probably new bushings all the way around. I'm looking at doing the 5.4L swap so the suspension may have to wait a few months but its good to figure out exactly what I want to do with it and your thread was a great help. I would like to have a 2" drop all the way around but the main thing to me is good handling, the car looks very nice as it is.

Dalamar said:
I sure like mine. you can get the car sitting right where you want it.
Good struts, coilovers and 4-bolt CC plates would cover the front.

What are you doing on the rear?
you should check with MM so they can recommend the best spring rate for your goals.

you can drop it like 3", but much past 2" and it rides like a tank, BC there's not much travel left in the A arms.
I'm at about 2" drop on the front.

voidfinger

Reaction score
I would add tubular A arms to the list... why not right? anyway, if your doing the 5.4 why not go on and benifit from a tubular k while your at it?

OP
OP
A

atrainsgt

Reaction score
I will get the tubular A-arms also, when I dunno but I'll add them to the list.

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
That's a pretty good price for the whole thing.

it would probably be pretty good for a street car. I don't know how good their coil overs/struts are though.

I have the Qa1 K and A arms, under MM coil overs and Billisteen's.
I would have gone MM, but initially the QA's were specified to clear the turbo piping I was planning on getting.

voidfinger

Reaction score
I've heard good and bad about the QA1 but you can't beat that price... also the qa1 shock i've heard are noisy but no biggy right lol.

OP
OP
A

atrainsgt

Reaction score
I could check and see if I could get that kit minus the coil over kit and the struts, would that be a good idea? Then buy the MM coil over kit and some tokico or bilstein struts?

voidfinger

Reaction score
... i wouldn't do it. The stuff is made to go together IMHO so i would let it go together... and i think i've was thinking of strange struts when i said they were noisey...

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I would recommend doing that.

Billisteen's and MM coilovers are great, and quite.

OP
OP
A

atrainsgt

Reaction score
Ok thanks, thats what I will shoot for. So the quality on the QA1 parts that you have is good? I really don't think I can go wrong with their K-member and a-arms.

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
no problem.
they have been fine. I've read feedback that the MM K member is a nicer ride. it's more expensive, and compared to this kit, way more.
it kinda depends on what you want to accomplish. for agressive street driving, I would think the QA is fine.

How "nice" the car rides depends on how much you lower it.
you'll want a bumpsteer kit if you go lower than 1.5" or so.

Make sure the CC plates that come with the other kit are 4-bolt. with coil overs you have all the weight of the front of the car riding on them, they NEED to be strong. I had steeda's at first, but sent back and got the MM 4-bolters.

OP
OP
A

atrainsgt

Reaction score
They say it comes with the 4-bolt cc plates but who knows how accurate that is. I will make sure they are the 4-bolts cc plates if I go with this kit. I want to drop it 2". It feels like it needs the bumpsteer kit as it is, every time I hit a pot hole or anything uneven the wheel wants to follow the curve, it may just be the wide tires that cause this. This is my first mustang, still leaning the ends and outs of it. I will probably buy MM full length sub frame connectors also.