Do stock Fox valve covers fit SN95s with roller rockers? The ANSWER inside!

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
So lately there has been a lot of talk about whether or not fox valve covers fit over roller rockers, or whether they will clear the alternator on a 94-95 5.0.

Well, here's the answer.

Exhibit A: One 94-95 V8 Mustang (this one is a 351 block, but it makes no difference) with full roller rocker arms and OEM bracketry.
PassengerSideRockers.jpg

We need to be able to clear the alternator which is unbolted in this picture so I could get the other valve cover off.
RockerswithAlternator.jpg

Then I dropped on one of my custom powdercoated stock fox valve covers and bolted the alternator in place.

VOILA! IT FITS!
SN95withFoxValveCovers.jpg

...and just in case you don't believe me, here's a close-up of the back of the alternator:
AlternatorFits.jpg

That small bolt for the alternator case just barely touches the valve cover. If you replaced it with a button head cap screw it would not touch it at all methinks.
AlternatorCloseUp.jpg

Here is what is normally necessary for tall ford valve covers to fit clear the alternator on a 94-95 5.0... I had the valve cover cut and a flat plate welded in:
ClearancedTallValveCover.jpg

Here is more evidence that they clear the larger and more common aluminum roller rockers. (The ones before were Comp Pro Magums and are smaller)

Before:
LargerRockerArms.jpg

After: (sorry for the blurry pic)
FoxValveCoverClears.jpg

So, let it be known beyond a shadow of a doubt that stock fox valve covers WILL clear roller rockers and fit on a 94-95 5.0 or 5.8.

Sincerely, your friendly SN95 tech guy,

Paul.

jc95gt

Reaction score
huh..thanks lol

i have another question
what are the stock/factory roller rockers on a 1995 mustang GT? (i have never worked on the engine of one)
(only worked on an 86',89'GT and a 96' mustang GT)

OP
OP
P

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
Stock are pedestal mount 1.6 non-roller rocker arms. They're the same as fox ones.

Spd0lit

Reaction score
You also have to note that the oil fill neck will not clear the neck on a sn95 throttle body set-up. It can be done with a small little cut and re-weld but the way i have mine now it just barely clears.

OP
OP
P

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
Down AGAIN because we switched servers AGAIN. I'll try to re-host when I can.

Prdbyford1

Reaction score
SPDOLIT, do you have any pics of your valve cover setup? I have been wanting to put some new covers on mine without changing over to the Fox intake setup, heck of a lot cheaper.

Spd0lit

Reaction score
yea sorry i didn't see this earlier in the week.

Its a tight fit but it will work. I'm running an Edelbrock rpm II with no spacer.

94opalgt

Reaction score
i used a trickflow fox egr delete plate between the elbow and intake and the fox valve covers fit with no problem. didn't have to modify nothing

Addermk2

Reaction score
fox covers dont clear my alternator...... so, what now

Spd0lit

Reaction score
It is a really tight fit. the fox covers have a good amount of meat on it and you should be able to grind away enough to clear just take it slow and check it every now and then while you grind it away.

Addermk2

Reaction score
Spd0Lit said:
It is a really tight fit. the fox covers have a good amount of meat on it and you should be able to grind away enough to clear just take it slow and check it every now and then while you grind it away.

if I have to grind them at all.. they dont fit.. end of story

Ryno8705

Reaction score
I don't think it matters about Fox vs. SN95 specifically; I think what matters is non-HO 5.0 vs. HO 5.0 valve covers. Obviously Cobra valve covers work.

Spd0lit

Reaction score
Ryno8705 said:
I don't think it matters about Fox vs. SN95 specifically; I think what matters is non-HO 5.0 vs. HO 5.0 valve covers. Obviously Cobra valve covers work.

Get the facts straight. It does matter. The Sn95 5.0 GTs have stamped steel covers that have little to no clearance. The foxes have cast covers will alot more clearance underneath. And yes cobra covers do work they are just alot harder to come by.

OP
OP
P

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
Addermk2 said:
fox covers dont clear my alternator...... so, what now

You have to move the alternator out of the way to install them, then put the alternator back in the bracket. It should fit - look at the picture I posted. Is your bracket or setup different somehow?

Addermk2

Reaction score
did all that... still didnt fit. im trying a set of 94 GT covers, for shits and giggles... if they clear my lock nuts, they are going on, If they dont.. i'll be taking one of my fox covers to my tuner and having him lop the end off. I dont like the fact that I have to remove my alternator to get a valve cover off..

you dont even wanna know what kinda whore it is getting my alt off.

95-stang

Reaction score
Its a few minutes to take off the alternator, in fact one of the easiest cars on the road i can think of.
Are you using some special non standard fittings or have a blower in the way?

Mine fitted without doing anything other than swapping them over, even the baffle is still in and everything clears.
I might be in the minority not having to mod anything, but these are the best alternative to using a spacer there is.

Addermk2

Reaction score
95-stang said:
Its a few minutes to take off the alternator in fact one of the easiest cars on the road.
Are you using some special non standard fittings or have a blower in the way?
i amn running a no P/S and no A/C setup. To get my alt off, you need to unbolt the water pump pulley and remove it, then undo the tensioner and remove the belt.

getting apart is easy.. going back together is the hard part. It really does take two people to get it all back on

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online