GM: no more Camaro’s as of 2024

MyLittlePony

Reaction score
ethanol free gas ? Yuck . E85 for me

You put that in your mustang? You know ethanol burns faster, thus poorer fuel economy right? I have a 1967 Triumph GT6 that I buy 91 ethanol free octane for. I’ve put ethanol gas in it, but don’t like doing so on account of how bad is destroyed my fuel pump gaskets. I essentially had to get a modern electric pump, because the manual glass bowl kind kept leaking, and you could actually see the fuel turn from yellow to grey on account of the gaskets dissolving and turning into mush.

I don’t want to argue, but I’m telling you with absolute certainty that your 302 can get over 20 mpg with no problems. I have been involved with more than a few builds. The most recent was a good friend’s car. It was a 95 gt with a 302, edelbrock heads, E303 cam, T5, and 4.56 gears. Even had a carburetor swapped on it. That car got 26 mpg with the ac on.

Heck, my old f150 with a 302 got 20mpg. Granted, it was stock, but it was in an extended cab

Wanna come out to DFW and look at my car?

View attachment 30837

this is what we were supposed to get in a electric mustang.
we got screwed with a mach e bull shit car

Good god that’s ugly!!! I’m kinda glad we didn’t get that. I almost wanna say that’s fake. It’s really not that hard to build an electric mustang. I just don’t understand why they won’t do it. And if the Mach E isn’t a mustang, that sure as hell isn’t either.

My 96 cobra driving back from Alberta got 410 miles to a single tank.

Single… …modified extended tank? I’ve never had a a single vehicle that could ever do that. Maybe my mothers 1986 conversion van, but only because it had two tanks, and the fuel back then didn’t have that quick burning ethanol in it.

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
You put that in your mustang? You know ethanol burns faster, thus poorer fuel economy right? I have a 1967 Triumph GT6 that I buy 91 ethanol free octane for. I’ve put ethanol gas in it, but don’t like doing so on account of how bad is destroyed my fuel pump gaskets. I essentially had to get a modern electric pump, because the manual glass bowl kind kept leaking, and you could actually see the fuel turn from yellow to grey on account of the gaskets dissolving and turning into mush.

Good god that’s ugly!!! I’m kinda glad we didn’t get that. I almost wanna say that’s fake. It’s really not that hard to build an electric mustang. I just don’t understand why they won’t do it. And if the Mach E isn’t a mustang, that sure as hell isn’t either.

Single… …modified extended tank? I’ve never had a a single vehicle that could ever do that. Maybe my mothers 1986 conversion van, but only because it had two tanks, and the fuel back then didn’t have that quick burning ethanol in it.

Stock aside from no cats . Flattest straightest highway ever Fort mcmurray no stopping for hours

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
I only started running e85 this year and yea it’s much worse on fuel but the benefits are worth it .

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
I’ll be sure to post the mpg difference to a tank of 94 octane vs e85 this coming season under regular driving conditions .

b1pig

Reaction score
I guess that leaves us and the Charger/Challengers in the pony class.
Challenger and Charger are both gone after 2023/24. At least as we know them.

There has been some rumors of Dodge working on a revised V8, whether it will be Hemi or not, I'm not sure. But is is an absolute. The Mopar LS platform (Charger, Challenger, 300) are done.

badass98svt

Reaction score
Why? That’s stupid. They're probably not even there.

No, they are most certainly sitting in their cars looking like morons in a Walmart parking lot while their "green" vehicle charges. That is, as long as the charger is functioning correctly.

Getting back to the "stupid" comment:
Stupid, would be thinking people beep and wave at empty cars.

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score

I would take that as a mustang with gas engine
Over the crap mustang that is present

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
And if you do find that EVs aren’t the right fit for you, don’t hate on those that do like them, as they are doing you a favor. Not only are they compensating for your own carbon footprint, but they are also not using gas that you need.
Now this is still a hotly debated subject...

As of now, producing an EV in a factory produces more carbon than producing an ICE vehicle in a factory does. There's one demerit.

As of now, the mining rare earth metals like Lithium and Cobalt is a toxic process and either destructive or disruptive to the environments from which they are extracted (oh and if it's being done in Africa then it's being done by children, most likely supervised by warlords, and most likely controlled by China). There's another demerit.

Lithium batteries are volatile. You can't ship them commercially. EV fires bring down entire ocean freighters. EV fires burn down homes, and some times their own passengers. Disposal at EOL is still a quagmire. Lithium fires can't be put out like most other fires can - you just let it burn until it stops burning. There's a whole lot more demerits in case the first two weren't bad enough.

Theoretically, the carbon emissions of EV production can be lessened in the future. And EVs emit little to no carbon on the road. But given all the negative factors (and maybe others still), I'll just say no thanks. I drink coffee straight up, sometimes with real creamer. I don't go for the soi boi special.

b1pig

Reaction score
I was offered an opportunity to spend a couple of hours in a Mach-E the other day. I thought pretty hard on it. There is a part of me that really wants to get one and try it out for an extended period. My wife works at a school and its roughly a 15-20 minute drive one way. Mostly county roads. She has a Audi Q3 and it gets really good gas mileage. A full tank (13ish gal) lasts her about two weeks if she is just commuting. Her type of driving is the ideal type for a EV. Its just one of those things I'd like to try out. I certainly don't want to replace her Audi. I like it.

We still have a long way to go before we have any true ability to go EV as a country/world. The tech is still developing. I see it being a more mainstream thing in 20-30 years unless we hit another technology burst. We just don't have the infrastructure to support ONE EV in every home, much less two. I like the idea, but they can't compete with the long-haul non-stop use of an internal combustion engine. And combustion engines didn't get where they are overnight, either.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Good god… What did I do wrong??! I’m averaging just over 200 miles per tank and guesstimating 14city/17hwy best. Who do I have to kill (J/K!) to get 20mpg??????

Ray, if that’s the next E Mustang, I’m in! Shit ton better than the current Mach E, IMO

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
Good god… What did I do wrong??! I’m averaging just over 200 miles per tank and guesstimating 14city/17hwy best. Who do I have to kill (J/K!) to get 20mpg??????

Ray, if that’s the next E Mustang, I’m in! Shit ton better than the current Mach E, IMO

Strange I made it the longest leg of the drag and drive 292 miles in my red car this summer it turns nothing for rpm on the highway though . It was pretty much right empty though . I don’t have a fuel gauge in it since doing the holley efi . It was all highway though . In town I can drink a tank like nothing if I’m out having fun

MyLittlePony

Reaction score
Challenger and Charger are both gone after 2023/24. At least as we know them.

There has been some rumors of Dodge working on a revised V8, whether it will be Hemi or not, I'm not sure. But is is an absolute. The Mopar LS platform (Charger, Challenger, 300) are done.

So what domestic vehicle will police officers drive? No more cars? All SUVs? That’s pretty irritating. They have to spend all that time idling, and taking up an obnoxiously huge amount of space too.

No, they are most certainly sitting in their cars looking like morons in a Walmart parking lot while their "green" vehicle charges. That is, as long as the charger is functioning correctly.

Getting back to the "stupid" comment:
Stupid, would be thinking people beep and wave at empty cars.

That’s why I think it’s stupid. So you actually see people sitting in them? What on earth are they doing? Twiddling their thumbs? They’re supposed to be shopping at that Walmart. That’s one of the reasons businesses want those chargers there. In fact, at some places, usually level 2 charging, not fast, they are offered FOR FREE, because they want you to spend an hour or two shopping at their mall.

But fast charging is mostly a road trip thing, so you’re supposed to get out and walk around since you’ve been sitting for so long. Typically you go into the business that hosts it and get lunch/shop. The only reason I will sit in my car is because the place sells a ton of food, but offer no tables/chairs to eat at, assuming you’ll treat it like a Sonic. This used to be how gas stations were back in the early days. Think Route 66. You had a service shop and cafe usually built right in with the gas station.

I stopped at one supercharger and didn’t need a meal, and honesty couldn’t get one even if I wanted to. Ended up killing time inside a Car Toys which doesn’t really offer anything for modern vehicles. Ended up using their restroom, and buying drinks from their vending machine, but I bought something, where I wouldn’t’ve had there not been a supercharger. Ended up walking next door and checking out their pets, which naturally my daughter wanted. Point is, we did leave and did stuff.

Being directly outside the city, it was super busy, so it’s a bit awkward to abandon your car, for the exact same reason it was bad etiquette to do it at the gas station, preventing everyone else from being able to actually fill up, like I mentioned earlier actually happening to me when I wanted gas. So I returned to the car, spent some time calculating to see if I could reach another one along my route, so someone else could have my spot. So if you’re in a busy location, the owners may not be planning on staying that long, or feel awkward, fearing that an abandoned vehicle may not actually be charging, but instead blocking a very important space.

During my trip though, I revisited stops, and did not want to eat at the same places, so we picked up subway, drove to the location, and again, ate in the car, and even played on the internet for a while because, no lie, I was coasting on watts. It said I had 7 miles left, when I plugged in. That was mostly because I left the busy station earlier than I should have. So it had a much longer time to charge, since it was dead empty. You never want to charge it from empty, or charge it to full, as it depleted battery life, so if you are doing what you’re supposed to, you’re really only there for 30-60 minutes.

Now this is still a hotly debated subject...

As of now, producing an EV in a factory produces more carbon than producing an ICE vehicle in a factory does. There's one demerit.

As of now, the mining rare earth metals like Lithium and Cobalt is a toxic process and either destructive or disruptive to the environments from which they are extracted (oh and if it's being done in Africa then it's being done by children, most likely supervised by warlords, and most likely controlled by China). There's another demerit.

Lithium batteries are volatile. You can't ship them commercially. EV fires bring down entire ocean freighters. EV fires burn down homes, and some times their own passengers. Disposal at EOL is still a quagmire. Lithium fires can't be put out like most other fires can - you just let it burn until it stops burning. There's a whole lot more demerits in case the first two weren't bad enough.

Theoretically, the carbon emissions of EV production can be lessened in the future. And EVs emit little to no carbon on the road. But given all the negative factors (and maybe others still), I'll just say no thanks. I drink coffee straight up, sometimes with real creamer. I don't go for the soi boi special.

We bought our 2015 Model S in 2018, and 2014 RAV4 EV in 2021, so no negative impact if you buy use. It’s like the artificial vs natural Christmas tree debate. There are environmental negative impacts, but the longer you have it, the better it is for the environment. EVs are dirtier to build, but cleaner to drive. They say it can take anywhere from 28k to 68k miles for an EV to become carbon neutral. The problem is that many first owners get rid of their car before then. There is one owner however who has driven his 2014 Model S for 1.2 million miles so far, so just imagine how much benefit he alone has done. Our mustangs will still put out emissions for however long we want to keep them on the road, and we will never become carbon neutral, yet this guy has not only paid off the sin of production, but our sins as well.

Also, EVs can be parted out. We currently have 2010 Nissan Left batteries in a 1955 GMC, but have purchased several long range Tesla batteries to not only swap over, but to install in a 1957 Chevy Belair. (4 door, so don’t crap yourself)

The thermal runaway fear is a bit annoying. Again, a lot more people have been burned alive in an ICE vehicle than an EV. Recently, just a few miles down the road from me, a large massive auto auction house caught fire. Basically insurance companies bring vehicles there for evaluation, auctioning, and salvaging. So naturally, everyone is thinking “EV.” (Still under investigation) It honestly could have been. …or, an EV could be getting the blame. Either it wasn’t involved at all, or someone purposely set fire to it.

So here’s my reasoning: this location apparently has HORRIBLE reviews. They apparently won’t accept phone calls, make people wait, and when they try to pick up their car, get things, or take delivery on one they bought from auction, the vehicle is trashed, stuff stolen, parted out, etc. Apparently this is common for them. So my own theory is potential arson, either by a fed up customer, or the company them self, trying to cover up evidence. Fire started Christmas Eve morning, where no one would be around. Company is also off the beaten path in the middle of no where, so no witnesses.

So will EVs be used as a new way for insurance fraud, set fire on purpose? When an EV is in an accident, companies try to keep that car separate for days. If it were to catch fire from the accident, it would have done so by then. It could be weakened, and a fire start because of a flood, or because someone tried to charge it, which makes the batteries hot. That’s why 1) Tesla disables supercharging from salvaged vehicles, and 2) all EVs have a pyrofuse that blows during a sudden impact. This isolates the batteries. They can’t be charged the normal way. They also can’t touch one another. Think of it like removing AA batteries from a device, and sitting them out on the table next to each other. They aren’t connected, and they can’t charge/discharge each other. Can they still catch fire? Maybe. But it’s super rare. Put the batteries in some Chinese electronic, like those hoverboards that were once popular, and then leave it on the charger. The hoverboard catches fire, possibly even the house with it. Was it the batteries that caught fire, or the act of charging the batteries?

This is why EV fires either start because 1) bad collision or 2) sitting on the charger. There are plenty of gas stations that catch fire. Plenty of ICE vehicles catch fire after a crash. The only difference is that it’s a little more obvious when a fire starts in an ICE vehicle. And even when that happens, sometimes the vehicles parked around them also end up catching fire as well, every vehicle involved: ICE.

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
Wherever there's a fast-charger, I'm thinking in those locations you'll be seeing increased likelihood of those dreaded EV fires. I'm never going full EV.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Wherever there's a fast-charger, I'm thinking in those locations you'll be seeing increased likelihood of those dreaded EV fires. I'm never going full EV.
kind of like how fires around gas stations can happen? I bet it will be because someone is sitting in there vaping away and BOOM that vapor explodes....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online

No members online now.