Good street suspension setup?

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Haha never. I love this site. Best forum I've ever been on. I'm on 3 diff Lincoln forums. I tried moddedmustangs, that was meh to me. I'm stayin here lol. On another note, just told my dad I'm gonna look for used suspension parts and he didn't take it to well lol. Think I should just say FUKC it and do coilovers

is your dad a car-guy?

why did your dad's response entice the coil-over effect? lol.

if you can find them cheep, than yes. If you cant. then no.

at your income level, your current level of experience, and your goals for the car at this point simple upgrades are about what you need. If you can find a killer deal (like some of the other folk here did) than go for it. But otherwise, just bust out a couple of hundred bux on this project and keep on truckin' along.

OP
OP
the5.ohh

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
is your dad a car-guy?why did your dad's response entice the coil-over effect? lol.if you can find them cheep, than yes. If you cant. then no.at your income level, your current level of experience, and your goals for the car at this point simple upgrades are about what you need. If you can find a killer deal (like some of the other folk here did) than go for it. But otherwise, just bust out a couple of hundred bux on this project and keep on truckin' along.
Yeah he is. Just doesn't like getting anything used =\ I plan on making 300-400rwhp pretty soon. So i want the suspension to be ready for it. Maybe i should put the suspension on hold and do the gears. Idk why I said coilovers lol. Slow90 posted and included coilovers, and sleepns 95s got coilovers too iirc. I gotta see what I'm going to do.

Win

Legend
Reaction score
I am building the motor up in the near future. I'm not going to piss my money away, I bust my ass and thats the last thing I'm going to do, believe me. I said like 5 times already, if I can get the Bil's for a decent price I'll get them without hesitation... Aren't the Bilsteins meant for racing? I don't know too much about them, thats why i made a thread.

I but my ass 80+ hour weeks that's why I am mentioning these things.....

i went from eibach sport lines which are a great everyday setup but not designed for what your doing

I then wised up and did Bilsteins and coilovers up front with a spring rate matched to the fronts....

no bilsteins aren't meant for racing...the HD is designed to give e best of both worlds. If you look you'll find them for a good price. This is why I did research I researched and found out about the springs... Researched on struts found out details for the rear springs

Honestly if I had to do everything again I'd go coilovers from the start. No need messing with springs. I think I have less than $700 in my entire suspension (counting new balljoints, endlinks, sway bar bushings, rack bushings, etc) and I bought everything new. CC plates are a luxury, but not needed IMO. I don't have them. You're gonna have negative camber regardless if you're low.

agreed... Like we all have done we've been there dne that are we're trying to save him money. I forgot add 25 bucks for my new Moog ball joints I put in.

I didn't have CC plates and mine alignment was almost perfect...so I agree with ya there.

what the ****???? why am i just NOW hearing about this??? lol.

been like that for a while

OP
OP
the5.ohh

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
I but my ass 80+ hour weeks that's why I am mentioning these things.....

i went from eibach sport lines which are a great everyday setup but not designed for what your doing

I then wised up and did Bilsteins and coilovers up front with a spring rate matched to the fronts....

no bilsteins aren't meant for racing...the HD is designed to give e best of both worlds. If you look you'll find them for a good price. This is why I did research I researched and found out about the springs... Researched on struts found out details for the rear springs

agreed... Like we all have done we've been there dne that are we're trying to save him money. I forgot add 25 bucks for my new Moog ball joints I put in.

I didn't have CC plates and mine alignment was almost perfect...so I agree with ya there.

been like that for a while

Gotcha. I'll see what I can do. Maybe I should put off the suspension and have gears done first. That way if I can save up extra $$ for a longer time.

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
i always suggest CC plates if dropping more than an inch. as well as new end links.

Agreed. And don't cheap out on CC plates either. You can get a good set for like $150 and it'll save your tires in the long run.
Not to mention you get much more adjustability than stock which is nice when you need to track your car or whatever.

Not a necessity but from someone who doesn't have any, i'd recommend them.

Win

Legend
Reaction score
dont mind Win. I think he had a cup of coffee with lunch or something. lol.

He's just trying his best to point you in the right direction and to teach you from his past mistakes, I assure you. :)

the BILs are meant for "spirited driving" they handle well on the track, but offer a smooth ride on the street. So... yes, they are meant for racing. but they are a quality product where you dont have to compensate comfort for performance.

Sorry I'm having a hard time when were all telling him and told him in the other thread reasons....

everyone here has said what I have said I'm just being a little harsh about it... Just my nature... Like I have a hard time understanding why people can't understand things the way I see them.... Like when people sAy ...oh I can't do a motor swap..Bull ****i*ng sh*t I did 3 in 11 hours you can do it just listen to advice and use your common sense....

i am by all means tryi to point him in the right direction but he seems to be fighting our suggestions when we all tell him things!

Win

Legend
Reaction score
Agreed. And don't cheap out on CC plates either. You can get a good set for like $150 and it'll save your tires in the long run.
Not to mention you get much more adjustability than stock which is nice when you need to track your car or whatever.

Not a necessity but from someone who doesn't have any, i'd recommend them.

He should buy those ones right now from the classifieds

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
ha. thats the way it goes sometimes :). normally i wouldnt care, but he started this thread in the safe-zone...

as for the gears, it depends on what you want the car for. do you want to cruise low-n-slow for ladies? get the springs and drop her down.
you want to slam some gears and snap some necks? get the rear.

or:
chop a coil of each spring for free, AND get the gears.

thats what id do.

OP
OP
the5.ohh

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Sorry I'm having a hard time when were all telling him and told him in the other thread reasons....

everyone here has said what I have said I'm just being a little harsh about it... Just my nature... Like I have a hard time understanding why people can't understand things the way I see them.... Like when people sAy ...oh I can't do a motor swap..Bull ****i*ng sh*t I did 3 in 11 hours you can do it just listen to advice and use your common sense....

i am by all means tryi to point him in the right direction but he seems to be fighting our suggestions when we all tell him things!

^^Look up a few posts. I said to MC i'm glad your sharing your input and i appreciate you steering me in the right direction. I'm not fighting anyone lol. People can voice their opinions and post what they want, I'm simply replying what I'm thinking. If the cars never going to see a track, why the Bilsteins? MC said they give a nice smooth ride. Thats what I was looking for. Chances are my dads not going to let me buy used, who knows.. I'd love to only spend $500 on everything, but if I can get everything brand new for like $100 more, why not? Would the Tokico HP's be more superior and better suited for the Supersports?

OP
OP
the5.ohh

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Hmm. I'd see if my mechanic could help me with cutting the springs. You need a plasma cutter for that? Shit that just might solve my problem..

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
no. you can do it with a die-grinder.... hell you could do it witha fist-full of hack-saw blades and an open 3 or 4 hours, too. lol.

slow90coupe

Reaction score
I've ridden in cars with stock struts, Tokico Blues, Tokico HP's, Strange 10-ways, Bilsteins, KYB's, and probably others and they all ride about the same to me. I really couldn't tell a difference in ride going from stock 130,000 mile struts to Tokico Blues. If I were you, I'd cut the springs as a start. Then if you're happy with the ride, stay like that. If not, save up for coilovers.

OP
OP
the5.ohh

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Lol. That'd be something i'd have my mechanic help me with. I'll let him have fun taking the springs out lol

RichV

Reaction score
When you buy used, rule of thumb is NEVER pay more than 1/2 price of new. Specially parts that can wear.

Why don't we start with the obvious question ... what's the budget on your suspension?

You have put up a shit-ton of posts on suspension, engine mods, gears, brakes, etc. I thought you may have won the lottery or something. :D

OP
OP
the5.ohh

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Yea I've made a buncha threads. But each time I didn't have the same budget. As i'm making more i'm raising my budget lol. Shit I wish i hit the lotto! My budget right now for anything, gears, suspension is around 1k. As far as motor work, I'll have like 2-4k eventually for that.

sleepn_sn95

Reaction score
I cut my prokit springs this weekend with a dremel and a few reinforced cutting disks. I dont plan to keep them on there for long just to hold me over until I can get the coilover springs I want. Ride is pretty good so far and didnt take long to do

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RevJon

Members online