Good street suspension setup?

Win

Legend
Reaction score
^^Look up a few posts. I said to MC i'm glad your sharing your input and i appreciate you steering me in the right direction. I'm not fighting anyone lol. People can voice their opinions and post what they want, I'm simply replying what I'm thinking. If the cars never going to see a track, why the Bilsteins? MC said they give a nice smooth ride. Thats what I was looking for. Chances are my dads not going to let me buy used, who knows.. I'd love to only spend $500 on everything, but if I can get everything brand new for like $100 more, why not? Would the Tokico HP's be more superior and better suited for the Supersports?

I'm not saying your fighting it just seems like your not taking our input seriously....

im not saying what I'd want I already know what I want I'm doing my exact setup again...

i am saying if you want all those aspects combined mine was a great setup and proven beyond doubt...

The bilsteins are great street/track/ 1/4 setup....

whos car is it???? Yours or his? Who's name is on the title and insurance...

why would you spend 700-800 for a suspension setup when you can combine used parts and spend less money and have a setup 10x better.

no Tokico HP are just a OEM replacement..... I've seen people use the SS white rear springs along with full bilsteins and a matching front coil over spring and have loved it...

Hmm. I'd see if my mechanic could help me with cutting the springs. You need a plasma cutter for that? Shit that just might solve my problem..

simple die grinder... Just cut equal to the hats and always try to cut 1/4 increments take your time and lay it out... You can grab a set of stock 94/04 gt springs for next to nothing and do that then swap them in....

no. you can do it with a die-grinder.... hell you could do it witha fist-full of hack-saw blades and an open 3 or 4 hours, too. lol.

yep

I've ridden in cars with stock struts, Tokico Blues, Tokico HP's, Strange 10-ways, Bilsteins, KYB's, and probably others and they all ride about the same to me. I really couldn't tell a difference in ride going from stock 130,000 mile struts to Tokico Blues. If I were you, I'd cut the springs as a start. Then if you're happy with the ride, stay like that. If not, save up for coilovers.

:)

Lol. That'd be something i'd have my mechanic help me with. I'll let him have fun taking the springs out lol

Simple and easy just be safe and smart,.., you can do all the work yourself just be safe about it and take the precautions

Win

Legend
Reaction score
Yea I've made a buncha threads. But each time I didn't have the same budget. As i'm making more i'm raising my budget lol. Shit I wish i hit the lotto! My budget right now for anything, gears, suspension is around 1k. As far as motor work, I'll have like 2-4k eventually for that.

Don't combine your budgets one thing at a time unless you have the money to do things together

$1k = gears + coil-cut.

Put the rest towards the next project section :)

Agreed you can do a full built rear with brand new parts 850-1000 bucks like I laid out in the other thread

Agreed. Now to see what my dad says about cutting the springs. I can do the gears, but just like buying used parts i feel like he'll say no lol =\

Our stock springs are linear your not hurting anything taking a coil or 2

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/how-230/626015-complete-how-cut-your-stock-springs-thread.html

OP
OP
the5.ohh

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
I'm not saying your fighting it just seems like your not taking our input seriously....

im not saying what I'd want I already know what I want I'm doing my exact setup again...

i am saying if you want all those aspects combined mine was a great setup and proven beyond doubt...

The bilsteins are great street/track/ 1/4 setup....

whos car is it???? Yours or his? Who's name is on the title and insurance...

why would you spend 700-800 for a suspension setup when you can combine used parts and spend less money and have a setup 10x better.

no Tokico HP are just a OEM replacement..... I've seen people use the SS white rear springs along with full bilsteins and a matching front coil over spring and have loved it...

simple die grinder... Just cut equal to the hats and always try to cut 1/4 increments take your time and lay it out... You can grab a set of stock 94/04 gt springs for next to nothing and do that then swap them in....

yep

:)

Simple and easy just be safe and smart,.., you can do all the work yourself just be safe about it and take the precautions
I'm taking it all seriously. I don't joke when it comes to my car and upgrading. Its my car, his name on the title and insurance lol. So I'll see about cutting the stock springs.. If not, I'll see about grabbing some used Steins. Hmm thats actually a good idea getting another set of factory springs and cutting those.

slow90coupe

Reaction score
Just know that once the stock springs come out they won't be going back on without a MAJOR fight. They're basically impossible to get back in unless you cut a coil.

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
if you use compressors, use internal ones on the front and external on the rear.

right?...

or is it the other way around. lol.

OP
OP
the5.ohh

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
I got a lot to think about. Honestly I'm probably better off doing the gears first. Then using the $$ I have left over and put it towards the suspension.

Win

Legend
Reaction score
I got a lot to think about. Honestly I'm probably better off doing the gears first. Then using the $$ I have left over and put it towards the suspension.

If there is nothing wrong with your suspension now then sure why not.... Way rear gear did you end up having?

OP
OP
the5.ohh

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
If there is nothing wrong with your suspension now then sure why not.... Way rear gear did you end up having?

Yeah theres nothing wrong with it, other than sitting a little high for my liking lol. I got stock 2.73s right now, I'm stuck between 3.73s and 4.10s. Cars completely stock other than a cai,o/r H and mac mufflers

Win

Legend
Reaction score
Yeah theres nothing wrong with it, other than sitting a little high for my liking lol. I got stock 2.73s right now, I'm stuck between 3.73s and 4.10s. Cars completely stock other than a cai,o/r H and mac mufflers

Well that's fine nothing wrong with doing it once and doing it right. Do you EVER plan on going forced induction? If so I would even consider a 3.27 or 3.55.... Otherwise you'll blow the tires off without e correct suspension setup. You also have to think about what your going to do with the AODE you said you were going to keep...at the very least have it rebuilt with a shift kit and better gears and clutch packs

sleepn_sn95

Reaction score
When I had my auto I was trying to decide the same thing. I knew I was either going to boost it or 5 speed swap it in the future (which I did) and went with 3.73s which made a big difference. If you are planning on keeping the auto though I think 4.10s would be a good choice

RichV

Reaction score
$1K? That's easily do-able.

I have less than that in my race car suspension.

My setup:
H&R race spring $239 shipped (ebay)
Koni SA fronts $300 pair
Bilstein rears $160 pair
J&M rear LCA $120 pair or MM for $170/pair lightly used (I'm running the J&M but will be going to the MM when I can get them installed)
Used 3:73 gears for $75

vermilion

Legend
Reaction score
Didnt we already go over this and you weren't going to do the koni str-t and we all talked you into a bilstein hd front and rear? Why get a strut/shock setup that is going to be inferior to Bilstein or other better struts/shocks for the $$$....

my setup which rode 10x better then what you have listed.

i had Upr coilovers which some people say suck but I rode on them in Virginia and also here in Ga with no issues....I had a 14" 250lb spring bilstein hd front and rear.... Steeda sports 250 lb rear springs and Upr chromoly upper and lower.

my whole setup 475 bucks

Koni and bilstein are actually identical in quality. Bilstein supposedly has good customer service and theirs are rebuildable. i cant speak for koni.

OP
OP
the5.ohh

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Well that's fine nothing wrong with doing it once and doing it right. Do you EVER plan on going forced induction? If so I would even consider a 3.27 or 3.55.... Otherwise you'll blow the tires off without e correct suspension setup. You also have to think about what your going to do with the AODE you said you were going to keep...at the very least have it rebuilt with a shift kit and better gears and clutch packs
No FI plans here. I do plan on a full trickflow top end kit, full bolt ons, longtubes. Goal of 300+ rwhp N/A. I plan on doing some trans work and rear end. Hi stall torque converter, trans cooler etc.
When I had my auto I was trying to decide the same thing. I knew I was either going to boost it or 5 speed swap it in the future (which I did) and went with 3.73s which made a big difference. If you are planning on keeping the auto though I think 4.10s would be a good choice
Yeah I wish I could do a 5 speed swap. Idk how to drive stick though, rather get a 2nd stang to learn on. I do plan on keeping the AODE
$1K? That's easily do-able.

I have less than that in my race car suspension.

My setup:
H&R race spring $239 shipped (ebay)
Koni SA fronts $300 pair
Bilstein rears $160 pair
J&M rear LCA $120 pair or MM for $170/pair lightly used (I'm running the J&M but will be going to the MM when I can get them installed)
Used 3:73 gears for $75

Ditto. Figured 1k would be sufficient lol

RichV

Reaction score
Koni and bilstein are actually identical in quality. Bilstein supposedly has good customer service and theirs are rebuildable. i cant speak for koni.

How do you know this?

Shocks are completely different design.

Win

Legend
Reaction score

Different companies assemble them.... Mono vs twin tube... Can't be the same :)

No FI plans here. I do plan on a full trickflow top end kit, full bolt ons, longtubes. Goal of 300+ rwhp N/A. I plan on doing some trans work and rear end. Hi stall torque converter, trans cooler etc.

Yeah I wish I could do a 5 speed swap. Idk how to drive stick though, rather get a 2nd stang to learn on. I do plan on keeping the AODE

Ditto. Figured 1k would be sufficient lol

4.10 with a better OD if you rebuild it...3.73 if you go stock specs on the AODE

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RevJon

Members online

No members online now.