Got some kind of squeaking noise when I turn right

Slykin

Reaction score
I would assume that the rack could be ruled out.. but that's all I can figure. Someone else with more knowledge needs to chime in. I think putting a load on the suspension would affect almost everything excluding the rack, but I bet it could even affect the rack.

OP
OP
Photonfanatic

Photonfanatic

Reaction score
Is there any type of puller that you would recommend, just in case its turns out to be ball joints? I know there are several different "styles" of pullers for each different application, and I've found that many of them are complete worthless junk. You have to finally find that one puller, that works great for what you're trying to do.

sn95jones

Reaction score
I would assume that the rack could be ruled out.. but that's all I can figure. Someone else with more knowledge needs to chime in. I think putting a load on the suspension would affect almost everything excluding the rack, but I bet it could even affect the rack.

I agree, my steering rack needs replacing and it does it from left to right, not only that but the squeaking noise goes away after about 30min of driving.
So yes I would rule out the steering rack.

Slykin

Reaction score
I've used the press/puller from Autozone both times i've done balljoints. It's basically a giant c-clamp with different fittings that you can hook up to an impact wrench. If you put it on right you should have no problems, but it personally took me a while to figure it out. I still highly suggest making sure it's the balljoints before you go and replace them... if it's something else you'll hate yourself for doing the balljoints for no reason. They aren't fun.

On another note... The next time I do balljoints(soon) I suppose I should make a How-To.

OP
OP
Photonfanatic

Photonfanatic

Reaction score
Yeah I've seen that one. I was just asking in case that is what it turns out to be. I'm thinking tie rod though, cause now I've noticed the wheel on the driver's side gets very wobbly (or something) at speeds of 50 and 60 miles per hour. I was like "Oh no... surely I tightened that wheel on good enough last time I had a flat tire..." lol

Slykin

Reaction score
A way to check for worn out tie-rods is to grab the wheel at 3 and 9 o'clock and jerk it back and forth. The other tire/wheel needs to be on the ground or where it won't move though. If there is play then you probably have a worn tie rod. Do the same except at 12 and 6 o'clock to check for balljoints I believe.

OP
OP
Photonfanatic

Photonfanatic

Reaction score
Yeah I think that is right. Sides for tie rod, and top/bottom for ball joint. Although I forget if you wiggle, or yank? (hahah)

OP
OP
Photonfanatic

Photonfanatic

Reaction score
Well I took it to my mechanic to get a misfire fixed he confirmed it was the outer tie rod. He stuffed a bunch of grease in there somehow and the noise stopped. Said it needs to be replaced, which I can do myself and save money. For $50 though, he found and fixed my misfire which I would have never found. Some kind of vacuum leak that he had to take the upper intake off for. I hate dealing with misfires they're hard to diagnose so to me that was money well spent.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online