Strange high pitch noise when coming to stop.

98darkhorse.com

Reaction score
I have a 98 GT T-45. there is a noise once the car warms up. there is a high pitch sound when it rolls.
This usually is from around 5 mph down to 0. (Rolling to a stop)
It does it in or out of gear.
car running or turned off.
mainly notice it coming to a stop
I tried push in the clutch, leaving it in gear, turning the engine off and coasting.

Since the noise first appeared.
the car has new brake calipers, new front wheel hubs, new brakes and rotors. New ford racing pilot, tbo and clutch, pivot ball and fork. new u joints. new locker and axles and bearings, new ball joints and tie rods. and the noise is still there. not sure other than a bearing in the transmission or something on what it could be. any feedback would be helpful.

is a clip of the sound.

PinkieT

Reaction score
I had a similar problem after having my gears and axles changed out. The rear rotors would rub on the calipers. Easily fixed with shims on the caliper brackets. Hope you are as lucky.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
It does sound brake related!

And ill just say this as a general practice for any car....All the new brake stuff in the world is useless without properly lubing the brake hangers. Ive burned myself a few times with cheap brake swaps or all new brake jobs that both resulted in noisy brakes all because i didnt take the time to disassemble, clean, and lube all of it.

Goodluck figuring out the noise

OP
OP
98darkhorse.com

98darkhorse.com

Reaction score
Thanks. I just went through the rear brakes 2 weeks ago, and re lubed when servicing the rear end. I will try the front and see. could be the pins need grease. but even hitting the brakes the noise is still there. maybe if I go open headers, I won't be able to hear it lol

OP
OP
98darkhorse.com

98darkhorse.com

Reaction score
digging in the front I found a busted sway bar link. but the sound I was able to pinpoint the driver's side rear wheel. it just had axle bearings installed. I will have to tear it apart and see.

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
So what was the verdict? I believe you when you said you narrowed it down to the driver side rear wheel, but on the video it sounded to me like a belt “whirring” sound, which I’ve pursued in the past as well. Or…. Maybe it was just the audio quality or my old ass ears! Nah, couldn’t be that! LOL

Last edited:

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Did you ever remedy the situation? My knee-jerk impression after hearing the video was that the noise sounded like a belt noise.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online