gt's camaro build thread

realitygt

Legend
Reaction score
here's the build thread on the camaro, (i know lol a camaro on a mustang site) but everyone that replied to the thread said they would like to see it, so here it is :)

I started out with an 80 camaro I bought for $400 it came with alot of extra stuff, including a driveshaft in the backseat, a transmission in the trunk, an extra rear glass and hood, extra hood springs, rad. support, radiator, and some other brackets I don't think even go to this car rofl. I have alot of pictures of the car and will be posting alot of them, so just be patient lol

anyways, here are the pictures the guy used to advertise the car

1000160ge6.jpg

enginebayil0.jpg

01020301160101041020071mk4.jpg

OP
OP
R

realitygt

Legend
Reaction score
and here is the car after I got it back to my house ( i needed to take some more pictures of the car as a whole , i just noticed and I have the car too far torn down to start putting it back together just for some pictures lol)

200611030002mv4.jpg

200611030004bs6.jpg

200611030005nj8.jpg

200611030010kw1.jpg

200611030011vp0.jpg

200611030013vm8.jpg

200611030018ge7.jpg

200611030020pv8.jpg

I'll post some more up to date pictures tomorow (im alot farther than this, but I wanted to have a lead up to where im at)

OP
OP
R

realitygt

Legend
Reaction score
here are some more pics, not the best but they give you an idea of the car.

underneath the car.
200611110069ls4.jpg

floor rusted out right there, I think it had water in the car on the left side, cause the front is bad too
200611110029rs9.jpg

cmon, give me some feedback guys.

916_5.0

Reaction score
Damn you got some work ahead of you. Are you gonna make it into a bumblebee like transformers. Lol

lizzyfan

Reaction score
Red said:
How bad is the body rusted?
That's a Chevy thing!
Buddy of mine has an 80 Z28, I'll try to get some pics!!!
They ultimate mullett car, listen...... can't you hear Shout at the Devil!

Steven

Legend
Reaction score
nice man :thumb: i'm a big fan of the 78' trans am.. 455 :behind:

OP
OP
R

realitygt

Legend
Reaction score
Red said:
How bad is the body rusted?

the body really isn't that bad, there is some minor surface rust in places, but the rust that is the worst is on the rockers, and the rear quarters, and the floor pans which all need to be replaced

916_5.0 said:
Damn you got some work ahead of you. Are you gonna make it into a bumblebee like transformers. Lol
lol custom faded

and these pictures will bring the thread up to date. I'm going to start taking apart the dash, and labeling everything tomorow.
200611160065st2.jpg

^the guy before me went crazy with the orange spray paint, gotta powerwash and sand it and then repaint it a matte black.
200611160075ky4.jpg

^why you don't leave cars in fields lol
200611160083qm7.jpg

the tailpanel definitely needs to be replaced, the bottom of it is rusting away beyond repair
200611160081oq2.jpg

the bottom looks definitely shows its age too

trav_19

Legend
Reaction score
holy chevy orange spray paint under the hood...what the hell was that guy thinking?? probley how cool his mullet looked as he cruised into his trailer park..... :hammer: sorry had to ....its a camaro thing :D but it looks like a good project to work on keep us updated

OP
OP
R

realitygt

Legend
Reaction score
rofl ^

does anyone know about painting trim pieces? because I have all the complete interior for the car, but its camel tan (even the name sounds nasty) I was wondering if anyone knew of an interior spraypaint or something to that effect? I don't want someting that if you rub it, the paint will come off.

I've seen people with the mustangs paint the doorpanel that has the locks and windows. How do you do it, because I'm sure it's like the same concept, and is it sticky to the touch afterwards?

Steven

Legend
Reaction score
the duplicolor vinyl and fabric is awesome! when it drys you can't flake it off and unless you gouge it, it won't show up the old color. Just make sure to clean all the pieces extremely well with dish washing detergent. It takes out all the oils and allows it to cure. I've used it in a couple different cars and it's the best stuff out their :thumb:

916_5.0

Reaction score
Yeah im dying my interior right now. I used the duplicolor vinyl and fabric dye on my vinyl stuff and its not coming off. And for plastic stuff i used krylon plastic fuzion paint that sticks to plastic so well.

monkeydude3

Reaction score
As long as it's American muscle it's fine by me! I'm surrounded by GM in my neighborhood. Ima breath some Ford power into this area though with my build...

What are your ultimate plans? Restoration? Refurbish and mod it?

Im gonna refresh my body but the interior will be all custom on mine.

Good luck!!!!

PS this is keeping me motivated to keep at mine! :) :)

OP
OP
R

realitygt

Legend
Reaction score
both duplicolor vinyl and fabric and The krylon plastic paint both look like they'd be good choices but i just can't decide which one I would want... the duplicolor sounds like it would be for like seats and stuff and the krylon sounds like it would be for the plastic chairs you sit in.

so far the duplicolor is winning, because the website has some cool videos about using it and it looks like it would be more of what I'm after. sometime this weekend I'll probably run up to advance and check them both out and try it out on some items and THANKS ALOT FOR THE TWO SUGGESTIONS :thumb:

and for as where I'm going to be going with this car, it's hard to say because it will most likely change as i go along with it lol

I want an l88 style hood, and cloned to a z28 everywhere else. I can't decide which color for the car I want yet it's either going to be a black or blue with white rally stripes(the ones with the thin white line around both the stripes) the blue would be the color blue offered on camaros and trans am's i think the name is "navy metallic blue" or midnight blue I'm pretty sure it's navy metallica blue because it does have metallic in the paint and is a dark color

but I want the interior to be all black, like my mustang and I want it to be backed by a chevy big block(426 or higher)and a 4,5, or 6 speed transmission and the usual 410 gears in the 10 bolt rearend. I have a turbo 350 I'm trying to trade for a manual but no wants to buy it or for that matter trade for it.

OP
OP
R

realitygt

Legend
Reaction score
^ i know, ill need alot of it.

I'm waiting to order the fenders, doorskins, quarterpanels, and eveything else I need until my grandparents friend comes up from arkansas. I'm going to be relying on him pretty heavily for the parts because he can get them to me for less than half the price that you see online because he is a dealer. When I told him about my accident in the mustang he told me I could get a new fiberglass cobra hood for $59 and both the fender in the front with the cobra tag for $39.

So work for me to do is at a minimum right now. All i can really do is take apart the dash and paint the interior and take out the glass all around.

blown1981z28

Reaction score
Looks like you are going to have some fun with that one. WHat are your plans for the drivetrain. I have an 81 with 50,000 miles. I am currently trading it for a built 95 SN95 vert. Here are some pics of mine.

DSC00143.jpg

DSC00116.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Superman3872

Members online