Opinions wanted: License plate mounting

GTamas

Reaction score
Due to some weird regulations I came to the conclusion I will have to mount a 1-line euro license plate on the rear of my car. It obviously does not fit into the recessed LP area between the taillights, so I have to do some custom solution. I have two ideas, what do you think, which is better (looks, stability)? Any other ideas?

Option 1: Mounting a bracket in the LP-area to raise it beyond the trunk sheet. Putting smal LED-lights above it for illumination. Kinda like on this yellow Stang, just nicely done with frameless mounting and smaller light on top instead of the sides. Drawback is that it covers the trunk keyhole, so I will have to install a remotely operated relay to pop the lid.
20230902_210249.jpg

Option 2: Mount it on the lower part of the bomper cover, using a triangle bracket. Lighting would be same as in option 1. Pro: Trunk keyhole left accessible and I can use a vanity LP in the recessed location between taillights. Drawback: I am not sure how stable I can mount it there. I don't want to anchor it all the way to the metal bumper drilling through the foam, so I'm thinking about fixing a metal plate on the backside of the bumper cover and connect the bracket to it with 8 screws-nuts. Also I have to drill holes on the bumper cover for the lighting. Could look a bit like this, I think you get the idea:
Screenshot_20240311_173245_Edge.jpg
So what do you think?

Last edited:

tmwsccsh

Reaction score
Option 1 for me.

I'm in the UK and I have a motorbike plate fitted to mine as it fits ok and is still legal.

Can you do something similar there or is that a big no no?

TMW

OP
OP
GTamas

GTamas

Reaction score
It's my secret plan, but highly unlikely. The car tax is very high here, but you may use same LP on up to 3 cars and only pay the tax for the strongest car. I have a Ford Mondeo which I will share the plate with. Si the problem is, even if I would get a special allowance to use the motorcycle plate on the Mustang, they will most likely never allow it on the Mondeo.

OP
OP
GTamas

GTamas

Reaction score
Or an Option 3 could be to buy a 4th gen Firebird bumper cover and somehow transplant that LP part to a Mustang bumper by cutting, plastic welding and painting. I have no experience in such work and I'm not even sure this would be doable at all. What do you think?
Screenshot_20240311_173259_Edge.jpg

Last edited:

tmwsccsh

Reaction score
Option 4

Don't fit one at all and if the police pull you over say it must have fallen off somewhere....

TMW

OP
OP
GTamas

GTamas

Reaction score
Thanks guys for the input! I'm gonna stick with option 1.
I already bought the remote switch to open the trunk, just need to install it someday.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online