Post Up Your Audio System

447sn95

Reaction score
I've owned 2 stores (1 for cars and 1 on the lake for boats) for audio and electronics. I've been installing for about 32yrs. After selling my stores I tried to get out of car audio but ended up starting one up for someone about 1 1/2 years later. In 2000 I had a customer that won the USAC world championships. Since then I just do it on the side, doing it as a living takes all the fun out of it for me. About 2 years ago I had a customer from one of my stores from the 90's bring me an 07 mustang to put a system in. While I was installing the system he got a divorce and since the wife was paying for the system and he got the car in the divorce he couldn't afford to pay the balance. He made me a good deal on it and now I own it.

The amp rack is in the truck floor that motorizes up for viewing. It has a pioneer z1 headunit, Image Dynamics xs65 components in front, Image Dynamics IDMAX10s for subs, an Image Dynamics Q700.2 Amp for the fronts and an Image Dynamics Q1200.1 amp for the subs.

447sn95

Reaction score
Here are a couple more. I don't take very many pictures of my work so I don't have many. The corvette with the green box was the 2000USAC world champion. It was a sound quality car.

JIMMY

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Fantastic would love to have someone else with some experience. I worked on/off full/part time for 12 years, and then it became fun again when I wasn't doing it as a profession. I know that feeling of not wanting to work on your car since you spent all day working on others.

One of the shops I was at was an ID dealer and loved them. I have decided to go with a single idmax 15 when I get mine back on the road and start back on the stereo. I was almost done with the door enclosures for the old PG ti elite 3 ways(9"-5"-1") when I had a wreck. The car was totaled but I bought it back and getting it back on the road I hope this sumer.

447sn95

Reaction score
Hit me up when you want that IDMAX15. I'm still an Image dealer and will get you a good deal on it.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Oh Hell yes! I certainly miss the discounts in the industry but it is again fun to work on my car... I have all the other gear purchased except the sub. From the alt to amps/processors/connectors to wire will all be phoenix gold. I have an elite.5 to run the front speakers except the 9's as they are being powered by a .2 to so they can remain in stereo and of course the .5 puts out 1100 watts at 1 ohm so hopefully its all enough. I will be running the comps active off an old phoenix gold/rane cross over that was converted for 12v use and used in the old bmw show car with the cyclones in the 90s. Was also excited to find an old pg 200 amp alt that I polished and powdered. Now I just need to get it on the road and back into the stereo.

447sn95

Reaction score
I have one of the PG route66 amps. I bought it brand new in about 92 and took 4th with it in the IASCA world finals in 94. I have it in it's original box although it probably needs sentin for a rerurb, the last time it was gone thru was in 2000 and has set in it's box since then.

Jimmy

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Simple.....just buy into the company. Usually $3000 of product and a clear demographics where no others are carring the same line gets you in.

447sn95

Reaction score
I am a dealer for Image and some others but because of the whoring out that the other brands do I really couldn't save you much to be excited about. The other brands are DB drive, pioneer and clarion.

I have a couple spare sets of horns that I intend to make a mold from and start making my own. Eric (the original owner of Image ) tried to sale one of my customers the molds and the rights to produce them after he left the company. At the time I had a stock pile of horns and figured that Eric would have his new company up and running by the time I ran out. I'm down to 2 sets now so I guess it's time to make my own, with a few changes of course.

Anyone that wants anything just PM me but keep it on the down low. I'm not sure how this plays into the not selling on the net agreement I signed and don't want to get the brand pulled. My main source of sales come from selling them to the place I work for, Newell Coach. We use them in the motorhomes we build.

JIMMY

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Given enough time,...TheWholesaleHouse will buy it all out and get "build houses" from china to label the pyramid stuff with Image Dynamics stickers. Just go ahead and sell it!
With all the kids watching airpumper subs do hair tricks on the big audio giant forums, "ID" subs basically dont exsist. Besides, it the kids with the cash! So I say, sell on the net! Sell what you can! Heck,....make a 1% sale over cost, ....I guarantee you will be wasting your time. Kids want 3"excursion, air compressor subs! Not articulation from a 1w/1m 100db curvalinear cone with a frequency controlling dust cap. Sound has been replaced with air and air sells!

I remember back in the late 90's a certain extended cab ranger loaded with 2 15" ID subs and an mmats 1500d black amp. The vented box alone took the entire extended area, but dang was it nasty! Talk about driving neighbors out! Car systems are not like that anymore!

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
That funny because I remember my ID dealer I worked at shortly after that come up to me when he saw I was driving a ranger with a strange grin to tell me he had a design for 2 15s that could fit in my ranger that would blow my mind. He even mentioned it would take up the entire are but that it was that good.

The internet changed the biz for ever. He and I can remember its heyday as I just caught the tail end of it. Back then car audio was the highest profit margin in any store that sold electronics, the paychecks were good the work was fun(as we were not burned out on it yet) and every day was something different.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
As a husband, father, that works nightshift, Im thankful car audio these days do not carry any sound. Used to be a set of $50subs sealed up in a trunk carried a note that could be heard for blocks. Now a days $1000 system that creates pure fury inside the ride cant be heard 20' away, but you hear the rattles!

447sn95

Reaction score
As a husband, father, that works nightshift, Im thankful car audio these days do not carry any sound. Used to be a set of $50subs sealed up in a trunk carried a note that could be heard for blocks. Now a days $1000 system that creates pure fury inside the ride cant be heard 20' away, but you hear the rattles!

That has more to do with your age and hearing loss than equipment. Yes, a lot of the manufactures are going overseas and suck but there is still some made here that can hurt you.

JIMMY

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Not age or hearing loss. And yes some that can hurt! Believe that but will produce no sound. Moving air is not sound, sorry. Shifting atmospheric space in a given space is not sound but people eat it up! And im glad too. The 9db gain from a true bass note doesnt get trapped indoors from airpumpers, but kills the market.

447sn95

Reaction score
Actually it is sound, just at a low freq. PG had an air moving device called a cyclone back in the day that reproduced bass freq. with 2 vanes pulsing back and forth like a fan on crack. Moved a ton of air and generated massive spl. It didn't last in car audio very long because of it's size and being banned from competitions.

JIMMY

chris91

Reaction score
I love my lil Kicker setup. Have 4 2 way Kicker 6x8's, Kicker Mono Block Amp Pushing two 10" Kicker Comp VR's, all being driven by a Pioneer 2400BT Dual Din radio. Sounds great and doesnt rattle your brain loose.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online