question about tire fitment on 18inch FR500

bailey_57

Reaction score
Awhile back I came across a good deal on a set of s197 black 18 inch FR500 rims. When I showed up the guy loaded the wheels in my truck with me and then proceeded to go back in the garage and get the tires too! The tires have 500 miles on them and still have the nubs on them. Here's the problem, they are 225/55/18. Is there any chance of me running them on this wheel without them A) hurting the wheel, B) being incredibly dangerous, or C) looking super dumb? I already went to that site that shows tires mounted to wheels based on width. I'm just curious on anybody's personal experience.

Mods, not sure if this is the right subforum, so please move the thread if it isn't.

Thanks,
Jay

whiplash473

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Depends on how wide the wheel is, I'm assuming it's not a x10 (or x10.5, whatever fr500's rear wheel width is) so it'll be stretched but the import guys do it all the time.

Win

Legend
Reaction score
It'll look dumb and you feel even dumber running this stretched look on a V8 sports car.

FivepointSlow

Reaction score
If the FR500's are 18x8 all the way around It should look fine IMO.
My dad and I's 2012 take off wheels have 235/50/18 wheels on them...

Here is a few different angles to give you an idea. 225's wouldn't be much different on an 8" wide rim. It is only 5mm smaller on each side.. Which is just shy of 1/4". So I don't think it would really have a 'stretched' look at all.
7Fe5SPY.jpg

qPXpPQq.jpg

TNM0Jpn.jpg

eNnE0aR.jpg

Now if the rims are 9" wide... that's another story...

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Awhile back I came across a good deal on a set of s197 black 18 inch FR500 rims. When I showed up the guy loaded the wheels in my truck with me and then proceeded to go back in the garage and get the tires too! The tires have 500 miles on them and still have the nubs on them. Here's the problem, they are 225/55/18. Is there any chance of me running them on this wheel without them A) hurting the wheel, B) being incredibly dangerous, or C) looking super dumb? I already went to that site that shows tires mounted to wheels based on width. I'm just curious on anybody's personal experience.

Mods, not sure if this is the right subforum, so please move the thread if it isn't.

Thanks,
Jay

Uhm, you kind of forgot to list the width of the rims.

I ran a 235 tire on my 9" wheels and it was fine. 225 isn't gonna be a noticeable difference.
If it's a 10" wheel however, it will have a tiny bit of stretch.

Also, remember that wheels for the s197 platform have a different offset/backspacing than the SN95s. You may have to run a spacer to make it sit with the fender.

whiplash473

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Also, remember that wheels for the s197 platform have a different offset/backspacing than the SN95s. You may have to run a spacer to make it sit with the fender.

I completely missed that part. X2 on what he said ^

FivepointSlow

Reaction score
Also this, In the pictures I posted both the wheels on mine and my dads are off a 2012, I am not running any spacers in that picture. Front wheels are actually sitting better than my stock 16" with their offset... Which is a bit weird. And my rear wheels are tucked in a decent amount, I actually just took the measurement today. It is exactly 3/4" from the very inside lip of my fender to the middle of the wall on my tire. So I am going to be rolling my fenders and slapping on 3/4" spacers on the back.

EDIT
Here are pictures showing my car and how the S197 offset wheels look with no spacers on the SN95
31x4vcD.jpg

rue9W6f.jpg

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
I wouldn't run them because they're 2" taller than the stock tires and it's going to look ridiculous being that tall and that skinny.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chivo Viejo

Members online