Shocks & Struts

5litrarag

Reaction score
If i end up getting bilsteins, i'd pick up a used set through the classifieds or craigslist. I'm not gonna pay $500-600 for them... way too much in my opinion.

Yeah

"Too much" only because you probably haven't rode on a set. This is one area where you DO NOT want to go cheap or your car will ride like a cheap apple cart with a bent wheel on a cobblestone road.

Both the tokicos and konis seem to be good kits for the price.

Bilsteins are too much but Koni's are good for the price? hahaha, ok....

BTW, Koni's kick ass, but they are NOT a value price.

JRad405

Reaction score
I picked my Bilsteins up used for about $300 from a classified ad. However, they are definitely worth the money overall. You may spend a bit more on Bilsteins but in return you will probably have them long enough that you get your money's worth. My dad's volvo has them on his car. They are his 1st replacement on his struts and shocks and still going after 70k on them and those aren't the HD ones that go on our cars.

I'm extremly happy with my Bilsteins.

OP
OP
Ferocious

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
"Too much" only because you probably haven't rode on a set. This is one area where you DO NOT want to go cheap or your car will ride like a cheap apple cart with a bent wheel on a cobblestone road.

That it already does my friend.

Bilsteins are too much but Koni's are good for the price? hahaha, ok....
BTW, Koni's kick ass, but they are NOT a value price.

MM sells a set of Koni shocks & struts for $300. They also sell bilsteins for $650 for a set.
So YES, bilsteins are out of my budget at the moment. And YES, Koni's are at a value price.

5litrarag

Reaction score
If i end up getting bilsteins, i'd pick up a used set through the classifieds or craigslist. I'm not gonna pay $500-600 for them... way too much in my opinion.

Yeah

That it already does my friend.

MM sells a set of Koni shocks & struts for $300. They also sell bilsteins for $650 for a set.
So YES, bilsteins are out of my budget at the moment. And YES, Koni's are at a value price.

I just looked and forgot about the STR Koni's they had... those are PROBABLY ok, but they are nowhere on the level of the Koni SA that I have experience with. So simply based on the price of them I'd bet they were no better than base Tokicos (which arent very good either). So while I was on MM's site I read a bit and noticed this....

-------

For more
details and technical information, scroll down.

Koni Non-adjustable STR.T Spring Recommendations
Stock Location SpringsStock Springs
Eibach Pro-Kit
H&R Sport
H&R Super Sport

Those dampers dont hold a candle to a set of Bilsteins. Even if you bought 03/04 Cobra OEM pieces you'd do ok. The rates on those springs they are matched up above are damn near stock or not really high rates. So they MAY work ok, but for the trouble youuu're gonna go thru, why not just spend the coin and get it right the first time. You might want to see about finding out the spring rate on the SVE springs or whatever you have or you could be back in the same spot in less than 18 mo. if you drive a lot of miles in your car. I went through this same crap years ago when mine was still a daily.
Do your research man...paying for the same parts/work twice SUCKS. Ask me how I know.

Cpotts13

Reaction score
I have the tokico hps on my car, with the ford c springs and a 1.5 inch drop, and they work great for me. And a friend has them with some h&r super sports with no complaints.

JRad405

Reaction score
^I think it is more about the wear and useful life that you will see versus having something that matches the spring rate properly. Hypothetically if it the spring rates matched you may get 20k miles out of them. But hypothetically if they didn't match you may get only 12k miles out of them. On average all other things equal.

But they would probably work well at first. Like anything new they work great in the beginning. It's how do they last over time.

Javi

Post Whore
Reaction score
OP just get whatever you can afford LOL
You asked, we tell you and you wont listen. :rolleyes:

does anyone know how good the stock mach1 tokicos are with about a 1.5 drop?

Not bad, but it could be better.

OP
OP
Ferocious

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
OP just get whatever you can afford LOL
You asked, we tell you and you wont listen. :rolleyes:

I wont listen? Wtf are you talking about.
I've read every post in here and taken every shock/strut kit and review that are in my budget in consideration.
I haven't even made a choice or came to a conclusion, so explain to me how i'm not listening.

Javi

Post Whore
Reaction score
I wont listen? Wtf are you talking about.
I've read every post in here and taken every spring and review that are in my budget in consideration.
I haven't even made a choice or came to a conclusion, so explain to me how i'm not listening.

buy what you need to buy im done helping here.

OP
OP
Ferocious

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Edit; I meant shock/strut, not springs. My bad.

Javi; Okay. Thanks anyway.

Nacho98

Reaction score
Stop hassling the OP; if the car's a daily then he doesn't necessarily need top end stuff. When you figure you also have to buy springs and CC plates and then get it all installed, you are already in the $1000 neighborhood just for Tokico blues. Personally I wouldn't want to spend $1500 to drop my daily driver that never sees any hard miles an inch or two just for looks either. Plenty of guys have run lesser shocks and struts than Bilsteins and have had zero issues over time. Plenty of guys on Stangnet running Tokico blues, H&R SS, and MM CC plates with zero issues.

Sure Bilsteins are probably top end, nobody's disputing that, but it's likely overkill for the OP. A new cheap shock is probably better than what he's running as it is, I know it would be for me as the shop told me Saturday that my 87k mile shocks are OE. Not leaking or bouncing yet, but surely worn.

OP
OP
Ferocious

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Stop hassling the OP; if the car's a daily then he doesn't necessarily need top end stuff. When you figure you also have to buy springs and CC plates and then get it all installed, you are already in the $1000 neighborhood just for Tokico blues. Personally I wouldn't want to spend $1500 to drop my daily driver that never sees any hard miles an inch or two just for looks either. Plenty of guys have run lesser shocks and struts than Bilsteins and have had zero issues over time. Plenty of guys on Stangnet running Tokico blues, H&R SS, and MM CC plates with zero issues.

Sure Bilsteins are probably top end, nobody's disputing that, but it's likely overkill for the OP. A new cheap shock is probably better than what he's running as it is, I know it would be for me as the shop told me Saturday that my 87k mile shocks are OE. Not leaking or bouncing yet, but surely worn.

Thanks Nacho. I appreciate the response.

I think the tokico blues are what i'm gonna end up going with. I can get them for around $330 shipped and with some MM cc plates, i could freshen up my suspension for around $550.
That doesn't seem like too bad of a deal.

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
Although I might add I think Onyx is running tokico either d spec or illumina and he says they are top notch.

Yep I have had the Tokico Illuminas on my car for about 8 years now and I have no complaints, I've run them with Steeda sport springs and H&R super sports and the ride has been exceptional with them, i usually have the fronts set on 3 and the rear on 2 but they can be stiffened up really nice too if you want. I'm currently installing coilovers on them so we'll see how they work for setup #3.

AOStang1

Reaction score
I'm looking to upgrade the suspension on my Stang. I've only had my BG Stang for two weeks, and frankly it squeaks like two older fat people trying to get it on in the back seat of a rusty Volkswagon with worn out shocks!! Any suggestions?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peasant99

Members online