Suspension Mod Priorities

realitygt

Legend
Reaction score
do lowering springs hurt or help you at the drag strip? I know drag springs will help your launches with weight transfer.

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
If you have too little spring rate, you can actually "bounce" (for lack of a better word) suspension which certainly doesn't help. Also, it is important to prioritize your needs/wants with the car. Drag springs might help a little at the track, but you'll have a hi-rise, non-responsive suspension while driving around on the street everyday. I've run 12s on Eibach Pro springs, and wouldn't have it any other way. I guess it depends on how much time you spend at the track, and what your goals are.

Personally, I'd never put drag springs in any of my cars because they aren't drag cars. Others, however, may certainly feel differently.

Paul.

realitygt

Legend
Reaction score
well most people's intent would just be to look good on the street without sacrificing drivability or making driving unsafe while still having better handling.

i think drag springs look terrible and I wouldn't put them on my car either. for the same reason.

ga94gt

Reaction score
Paul said:
Tires.
Disconnected front swaybar.
Practice.

My friend has run 10.25 @ 141 on Eibach Pros so you shouldn't have to worry too much about springs. :)

Wow! that is alot of mph for a 10.2.

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
ga94gt said:

That's what happens when you make 725 rwhp and granny-shift to avoid asploding your transmission into a million pieces. :hammer:

SRT Handz

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Paul said:
ga94gt said:

That's what happens when you make 725 rwhp and granny-shift to avoid asploding your transmission into a million pieces. :hammer:

what car are you talking about Paul? You number have me wanting more info on what kind of car this is

topless95

Reaction score
Here ya go handz, this is the specs on that car

Every part on the car was chosen with 100% streetability in mind and I am happy with all the choices I made along the way.

Turbo System:
Rusty's Total Performance Single Turbo System
1-3/4" Primaries, 2.5" x-over pipe, 3" IC piping. All hot parts are coated with the HPC 2000^ Black coating.
Mental Addiction Motorsports Intercooler
HKS blow off valve
Tial 35mm wastegate

Engine and Management System:
Dart Block 316 ci built by 1st Performance
AEM Engine Management System P/N 30-1400
Single channel wideband
Additional Sensors:
AEM 3.5 Bar MAP sensor, 30-2112
Boost controlled by AEM
G.M Boost control Solenoid part# 1997152, $13.66
G.M Pigtail for the boost solenoid part# 12102747, $14.58
http://www.paceparts.com/
Injector Resistor pack, 8, 8ohm 25Watt resistors, purchased from Capital Electronics: 602-252-5897 used to drive low impedance injectors with AEM.
Cam Motion Custom Cam, 217/211 .530/.513

Induction and Fuel:
Accufab 75mm TB
Reichard Racing Upper Intake BARELY clears under the stock hood. (Intake height from the lower to the highest point including 1" spacer is 6-3/8", I am using convertible motor mounts)
1" TFS-R intake spacer (required with this intake to clear fuel rails)
Reichard TFS-R air-gapped Lower
TFS TW heads w/ 185 CNC port by TEA
Cometic Head Gaskets
Crane Pro Magnum 1.6 rockers

X2C Motorsports 1000hp Fuel System
Paxton FPR
Aeromotive Fuel Rails (rubs all over the stock distributor cap.)
Siemens-Deka 83# injectors

Ignition and Exhaust:
3.5" downpipe
3.5" U-pipe that connects to factory style 2.5" cat back system.
Summitt 2.5" GT tailpipe kit
2.5" Dynomax Ultra Flow Mufflers

MSD 6AL
Stock Coil
AEM 2 step

Tranny and rear:
Tremec TKO900 from Mod Mustang Racing (I sheared all the teeth of 3rd gear in my old standard TKO)
Lakewood bellhousing
Ford Aluminum Driveshaft
31 Spline Moser axles (SN95 length, makes wheel/tire selection a PITA!!)
Detroit Tru-trac
3.27 Gears
Trick Flow diff cover
McCleod Twin Disk Clutch
Stock cable, Steeda quadrant and firewall adjuster
Metco Driveshaft Loop (avoid the Lakewood!! I had one, it is too small in most cases)

Suspension and Brakes:
Tokico 5 way adjustables
H&R Road Race Springs, 265# rear
13" rotors w/ PBR Cobra calipers
D&D Tubular A-arms
X2C Motorsports Coil over kit with 300# springs
??? Tubular K-member, I don't know who makes it, I bought it cheap and used.
Flaming River manual steering rack and shaft
95 GT rear brakes
93 Cobra Master Cylinder
SVO Prop valve
Maximum Motorsports CC plates
Maximum Motorsports n/a Lower Control arms
Stock Uppers
Airlift Airbags

Tires and rims:
1999 OEM 17x8" Cobra Wheels
Nitto Drag Radial 245/45/17

Bogart Drag-On Stars for the track

Body:
Custom cut front bumper
Saleen Wing
LX Taillights
Race Weight: 3425#

Other:
6 point custom chrome moly cage by Southwest Custom Trucks
Faze gauges
Custom Gauge panel by www.gaugeplates.com
Lincoln MKVIII Fan controlled by AEM
200A 3G alternator
Custom aluminum fan shroud that houses the Mark 8 fan, made by Mental Addiction Motorsports.
Custom emblems by www.gaugeplates.com

3 Valve Cover Breathers!! I had huge problems with blowing rear main seals until I added a 3rd valve cover breather. By some miracle that cured all my oil blowing problems!! (No PCV system on the TFS-R intake)

Future plans:
The car is basically done, my future plans are just to enjoy the car.

Background:
I bought this car from the original owner in January of 2000. It had 48,000 miles and the owner was in CA (I live in AZ) I have gone through many different power combinations including 331 strokers, 306's, and Nitrous. I have also had several different cam and head combinations.

When the last engine (cheapie rebuild 306) bit the bullett in December of 2002 the car sat for quite a while. Kyle and I pulled the engine in January andI didn't plan on rebuilding it for a few months. In May I decided to start rebuilding it to get it done in time for the www.turbomustangs.com Shootout October 11th. The car fired on September 9th 2003 at 3:00 am. I drove it to work September 12th.

In September 2004 I ditched the Cartech kit in favor of a Rusty's Total Performance Turbo System. The new kit is awesome, it fits, runs, and looks 100% better than before. I kept the same turbo, BOV and wastegate. With the new system the turbo reaches maximum desired boost 600 rpm sooner! I also gained 10mph in the quarter mile with 2psi less boost! Here are some pics of Rusty's kits.

From late 2003 to early 2006 my car has been featured in many racing vids all of which are on this site and they have spread to just about every other forum on the internet. They are also on google videos with many pages of comments which are very funny to read. Here are some links: Number 1 Number 2 Number 3 Number 4 Number 5

Thanks to:
Many thanks to everyone who helped out in anyway with this project, Especially: Kyle, Nic, Byrd, Todd, Craig, Shannon, Travis, Beau, Jason, Keith, Dad, Jolea, Shawn N., Steve J, Paul, Javier, Shawn & Aaron @ Loper's, Justin, Shailesh, Steve C, The Crokes, and all the AZ Mustangers.

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
SRT Handz said:
Paul said:
'91 Mustang GT. 317 ci with GT42-76 on it.

http://www.theturboforums.com/trentmain.php

with 700+ horsepower dont you think the car should be into the high 9's?

is it on the stock-Style triangulated 4 link? Parallel 4 link set up would make that haul

It's a streetcar, not a racecar. You can critique his car when you have one that isn't slow. Besides, he sold it and bought a Supra.

Paul.

OP
OP
K

Knuckles281

Reaction score
realitygt said:
well most people's intent would just be to look good on the street without sacrificing drivability or making driving unsafe while still having better handling.

i think drag springs look terrible and I wouldn't put them on my car either. for the same reason.

this is my intent. I want to be fairly quick at the track, but I don't want to look like a drag-only car that I decided to drive on the street, either. It's a compromise...

Passenger

Reaction score
I was so upset when I found out Trent sold that car. Its easily in the top 3 of my favorte Mustangs. Best color combo on a fox too IMO.

As Paul said, tires, and practice will help a ton. My first time at the track I cut a 2.3x on BFG drag radials. After I embarassed myself by doing that, I practiced launching almost everyday, and theres several secluded, dead end streets around my neighborhood covered with multiple sets of black marks that show it. The next time I went to the track, I didn't have the BFG's on the car because I wasn't planning on running, but I did. All the practice I had been doing, I ended up cutting several 2.0x sixty footers on bald ass Kumhos.

But as for physical things you can put on the car, a good tire, lca, and sfc's as many other people have mentioned. I, myself, wouldn't worry about doing weight reduction, yeah it helps. But I'm like you, I want to keep my interior. Shedding 100lbs to shave one tenth off my ET isn't something I want to do.

SRT Handz

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
If i had that much HP, i would make sure i was into the 9's

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
SRT Handz said:

Luckily for us, you have less than 1/3 that much power, and you're stuck in the 15s.

SRT Handz

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Paul said:
SRT Handz said:

Luckily for us, you have less than 1/3 that much power, and you're stuck in the 15s.

i have done a 14.00 Flat like a year ago on ET Streets at California Speedway while Bracket Racing.

.....One all this rain is done with i am gonna go back for to the strip now that i have a Auburn LSD hopefully with EVERYTHING out of the car (and i mean everything) i hope i am able to crack 13.9's. Gotta go Barrow some ET Drags

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
Strange, because we've never seen any timeslips, pictures, or other evidence of such activities. Maybe this is like all of the road racing you do.

Either way, your car is SLOW. That car is not. Thank you. Drive through.

SRT Handz

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Paul said:
Strange, because we've never seen any timeslips, pictures, or other evidence of such activities. Maybe this is like all of the road racing you do.

Either way, your car is SLOW. That car is not. Thank you. Drive through.

Yeah...Damn NPI Pigs.

I have only been to the drag strip 3 times. 1 when the car was 100% stock.... again after i lowered and got exhaust...then about a year ago i went to Sal' Mustang Drag Day Bracket racing at California Speed Way.

Drag racing is kinda boring.... but i wanna completely gut my car and barrow some E/T drags from my buddy's cobra and try to make things happen in the 13's :boink:

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
Super. Like most of your other racing claims, I call BS on your 14.00 in an NPI pig on your third trip to the track.

SRT Handz

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Paul said:
Super. Like most of your other racing claims, I call BS on your 14.00 in an NPI pig on your third trip to the track.

well you have Drag'd more than me paul, do you think i can tap 13's with No weight in the car.

i mean NO weight...No back seat, no passenger seat...Nothing in the back. Everything in the truck gone. My car has no sound Insulation and most of the weight reduction mods.... Do you think i can make it happen? I will be on slicks for sure

I will be doing this soon so this time i will Scan my slip

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peasant99

Members online