Weight Reduction List

NXcoupe

Reaction score
MARKCORE said:
Did someone mention the rubber like material in the front under the dash?

And what about the alarm system. I want to take mine out but don't want to kill the car either. What has to be done to remove that? ...search the "How to" post now...
Mark, I removed that from my coupe, and I can't remember what it weighed, but we weighed all the insulation and sound deadener I removed from my coupe and it was north of 75lbs, this included the backing on the carpet we ripped out along with the sound deadener off the floors, etc. It's worth removing all that stuff, plus it's less of a fire hazard with that insulation crap gone from the firewall.

97 king cobra

Reaction score
Rear bumper support and brackets weighed 30lbs... removed that and the passenger seat today. Down to 2730#'s.

Almost 600#'s out now.

Venom351R

Legend
Reaction score
wow thats awesome!

I'll be able to make it back to the track again in early August. Then I can get a new wight on mine w/ the recent things done, K member A arms exc exc... If I loose close to 100 I'll be happy

97 king cobra

Reaction score
Venom351R said:
wow thats awesome!

I'll be able to make it back to the track again in early August. Then I can get a new wight on mine w/ the recent things done, K member A arms exc exc... If I loose close to 100 I'll be happy

Ill prolly be back at the track saturday (weather permitting) gunning for 12's with the stock h/c/i. :)

Venom351R

Legend
Reaction score
very nice, good luck! Im hoping for 11's N/A once I can get the clutch done and the miles put on it to hit the track again.

97 king cobra

Reaction score
Front bumper support removed = 18lbs. Door panels were 17.5 lbs. Aftermarket cobra R 2.5 inch hood dropped 8lbs(kinda disapointed) I think some other hoods are a lot lighter. Stock hood weighs 41lbs. New one was 33. Im not going to do the manual brakes as i heard they suck as far as stopping power. At 125mph(est trap next time w/ the 150shot) I dont want to worry about stopping.

Only things left planned in the future is the door crash bars and dash stuff.

Venom351R

Legend
Reaction score
good job :thumbsup:

I recently got back to the track and with the aftermarket K member, A amrs, coil overs and pulling the AC out I dropped 108lbs off the front end :notworthy:

97 king cobra

Reaction score
Venom351R said:
good job :thumbsup:

I recently got back to the track and with the aftermarket K member, A amrs, coil overs and pulling the AC out I dropped 108lbs off the front end :notworthy:

Sweet. Thats about what I got with those things. I removed the crash bars today. They were only 5lbs each(10lbs total). Its getting harder and harder to remove weight now. But its definately 26xx!!!!!!!

Oh and I removed some fan type thing under the passenger side dash, not 100% sure what it is?

Venom351R

Legend
Reaction score
hey it counts lol. Im still working on getting some CR1 seats, wont be until over the winter though and running some skinnies on the front. That will probably be the extent of my weight reduction

97 king cobra

Reaction score
Venom351R said:
hey it counts lol. Im still working on getting some CR1 seats, wont be until over the winter though and running some skinnies on the front. That will probably be the extent of my weight reduction

Yea ive taken it to the max. Pretty much just want to shock the shit out of people when I go 10's on the stock block and a 150 shot only making 400rwhp.

97 king cobra

Reaction score
I removed the heater core and ac stuff under the dash tonight. It weighed 20lbs including that piece i removed last week. It was ALOT easier than i expected! Well the car should be about 2675lbs w/o me now. Im going to the track next saturday (weather permitting). Should be good for 12's on motor. I cant wait for the cool weather coming over the next few months!

330CubeGt

Reaction score
Actual numbers are from Either from 330CubeGt or 96SOHC

Hopefully this helps give you guys an idea of the actual weight of the items your wanting to remove from the car to drop weight.

This way you can Decide if its worth it, so now you don't have to play the guessing game wondering what each part weighs.

Drivers seat Leather 48 lbs
Passenger seat Leather38lbs
Rear seat Leather top half 30lbs
Bottom Rear seat 15lbs
Sounds deadening (Remove w/Torch and Scraper) 45-50 Lbs
Under Carpet Insulation 20Lbs
Door Panels 8Lbs Each
Extra metal out of front bumper (Center) 8Lbs (Kept most of it)
Front Sway Bar w/links 13.5Lbs
20Lbs going to front coild over setup.
20 Lbs going to lighter front seats with manual sliders.
CD Player Head Unit 5 Lbs
Window Motor 8Lbs
Rear End Dog bone 10 lbs
metal plate under steering column 3.5 Lbs
Wind shield washer tank 1.5Lbs Empty/8Lbs Full
Passenger side air bag 9Lbs
Drivers side air bag 3 Lbs
Air bag sensors and module 3Lbs
Hood latch w/cable etc 2-3Lbs
Cruise control (In Fender) w/cable 2-3Lbs
Glove Box 4lbs
Trunk Lining with spare tire cover 14Lbs
Spare tire 25 lbs
Jack and tire iron 8lbs
Smaller battery 10Lbs
Mach 460 Amp Rack 6Lbs
Mach 460 Speakers 2.25 Each
6 disk changer 2Lbs
Rear Seat belts 5 Lbs
Sun Visors with harness 2.5 Lbs
E-Brake Assembly w/cable 7.5 Lbs
Black boxes behind rear tires w/brackets 3Lbs
rille insert and Radiator cover 2 lbs.
Mott bar and bumpstop bracket 9 lbs.
Fog Lights and brackets 6 lbs.
Rear Bumper support brackets 6 lbs
Factory Spoiler 9 Lbs
Strut tower brace 8 lbs
Complete Front Bumper support 17 Lbs
Quad Shocks w/brackets 8Lbs
Rear Sway Bar 8.5Lbs
Convertible K-Member brace 17Lbs
Firewall blanket 15 lbs
Door Bars 8 lbs
Dead pedal 1 lb
Tailpipes 20 lbs
Evap Canister 5 Lbs
EGR and DPee 4 Lbs
Rear Bumper 25 Lbs
Convertible top pump/motor/cylinders 12 lbs
A/C Complete 30 Lbs
ABS Pump Delete 14 Lbs
99-04 Brake Calipers 10 Lbs Vs. 14 Lbs 94-98 style
wiper motor and linkage 6 lbs
Heater core/A/C box/ fan 19 lbs
Bumper suppor mounts w/wind deflectors 5.5 Lbs
Stock A-Arms 30 Lbs, Tubular A-Arms 15 Lbs
hydro-boost and master cylinder assembly 17lbs
Power steering pump 10 Lbs, Delete pulley 1.2 lbs
Power steering lines and Res 5.5 Lbs
lock mechanism,window motor,wiring harness 12 lbs
Gut underside of Trunk, Trunk will weight 20-25Lbs
Few Lbs Misc Nuts/Bolts and Removed Metal.

Thaxter

Reaction score
Spd0Lit said:
Just be care full of removing the dogbone with stock control arms and such. If you look care fully the bracket that holds the dogbone on the top side interacts with the pinon snubber. This may cause wheel hop if you still that stock suspension items.

I recently removed my dog bone and just used some shorter bolts to bolt the bracket on top of the pinion back on. As far as vibration, I already had an aluminum drive shaft and couldn't really tell a differance once the dog bone was gone.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peasant99

Members online