What Did You Do To Your Car Today?

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
No, my car didn't come with a key fob. My mother (previous owner, it's a Mumstang :) ) added an alarm system to it with remote door and window opening/closing, but the trunk was forgotten. But I added a remote switch to the trunk popper circuit, works well and I programmed it to the same fob which opens the garage door, so the keychain is not too crowded.
Well played, my friend. Well played!

weendoggy

Reaction score
Any advise before I crank up this rebuilt engine for the first time? View attachment 34056
Stand back in case the pieces start flying! OK, enough crap, if it's all set correctly, just fire it up and watch for oil pressure and leaks, and fill with water (just in case there is a leak) slowly. When patting yourself on the back (good job), drain the radiator and put antifreeze in. :cool:

J_lope82

Reaction score
Well it went well. Fired up and oil pressure came up quick. No abnormal engine noises. The only issue is a passenger side exhaust leak. I guess I need to go get another header to pipe gasket. I might have messed it up installing it the first time.
The idle is surging a little bit but probably because of the new cams.
Other than that it went well. I still need to wrap up some loose ends before I get it on the road.

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Well it went well. Fired up and oil pressure came up quick. No abnormal engine noises. The only issue is a passenger side exhaust leak. I guess I need to go get another header to pipe gasket. I might have messed it up installing it the first time.
The idle is surging a little bit but probably because of the new cams.
Other than that it went well. I still need to wrap up some loose ends before I get it on the road.
Congratulations!!

weendoggy

Reaction score
Helping my brother (I'm doing it all) chase a water leak on his 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Found the water pump leaking, replaced, then the radiator gave up. Went from two leaks to one leak. I even did a pressure test. Oh well. The fun part is getting the POS radiator w/hydro fan out. Have to remove the upper radiator frame support and disconnect a zillion lines.What a mess, and what should be easy is made complicated by Chrysler. Not my favorite brand.

jeep2.jpg

jeep1.jpg
Red line is the upper frame support removed. The water pump was easy, less than an hour, but that was before I had to remove the radiator!

weendoggy

Reaction score
Got back from painting (and other duties) from house in NV. I painted inside/outside of new garage and will go back to do trim in a month (along with more stuff). Big job, but nice. 2x6 insulated walls and blocks built into the hillside. 30° outside, 55° inside w/no heater! 24x24 with 24x24 apron. Went from 28° snowing to 68° the next two days, then back to snow.

nv-gar-inside.jpg

nv-gar-side-snow.jpg

nv-gar-front.jpg

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Finally a break in the weather long enough to wash the damn car! Geez… only been waiting for 6-8 weeks…but I’m not complaining. In CA we need the water!

Also dropped the rear end a good inch to match the front ride height … and sent back the FX4 stickers! LOL Looks “tighter” IMO.

IMG_2166.jpeg

Last edited:

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
my brother is in town and about 3 weeks ago he "rubbed" a pole trying to fit in a small covered parking spot. Then of course he had to back out so it tore some trim and the pass side bumper cover off off and left a small dent in the fender. I managed to get the black paint from the pole with some rubbing compound off and there was one part we needed to replace so we made a last minute trip to the dealership. He is leaving sunday so needless to say we were in a bit of a crunch. The parts guy found the part number and then told us that he would get it in on sat, when the parts dept is closed so it would not be available till monday unless we overnight it. We winced and asked how much that would cost and he said it cost as much as the part, $8. Mind you this was a small trim part that just holds the bumper cover on but I thought it was $20 just to overnight an envelope so $16 total?! See you Tomorrow! He will still have a dent although it is smaller but overall I don't think he will complain.

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
my brother is in town and about 3 weeks ago he "rubbed" a pole trying to fit in a small covered parking spot. Then of course he had to back out so it tore some trim and the pass side bumper cover off off and left a small dent in the fender. I managed to get the black paint from the pole with some rubbing compound off and there was one part we needed to replace so we made a last minute trip to the dealership. He is leaving sunday so needless to say we were in a bit of a crunch. The parts guy found the part number and then told us that he would get it in on sat, when the parts dept is closed so it would not be available till monday unless we overnight it. We winced and asked how much that would cost and he said it cost as much as the part, $8. Mind you this was a small trim part that just holds the bumper cover on but I thought it was $20 just to overnight an envelope so $16 total?! See you Tomorrow! He will still have a dent although it is smaller but overall I don't think he will complain.
A gallant effort…and something tells me this will all end on a good note! Carry on then….

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
two days ago I told my dad that his pass side light was out. He said he had just replaced the other side and got a pair so he had it ready. The next day he said he put the new one in but it was still out. This morning I went out and popped the hood just to ensure he had plugged it in and it was. To be sure it was properly seated I removed the harness, inspected it and then plugged it back in but still no light. Just out of curiosity I made the 1/4 needed to remove it and when I pulled it out, it was suddenly lit. So naturally I simply put it back in and turned it back in place and it was suddenly good. The timing could not have been better, I handed dad the keys to the car to turn the lights on and he was just coming around the front of the car as I put it in so I could not help but do my best Fonzi impression and I gave a light slap to the light so that my hand would cover it up, and then gave the "EEEEEEEEEEHHHHHHHHHHH" like he would do when he hit the jukebox. Then I took my hand off and casually walked off saying that I am sorry but I have no choice but to bill for the 30 min service call, plus mileage so I would mail him the bill. Hopefully it lasts but I almost suspect the bulb might have a loose piece inside.

NEW EDG

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Got frustrated with it.

Ordered Bilstein drag struts and shocks from Summit. Shocks came a couple weeks late but showed up. Struts kept getting pushed back a couple weeks until yesterday when they got pushed back 3.5 months to the end of July. Have noticed a few websites like LMR pull them out of their catalog completely which had me concerned that they are being end of lifed. I already bought a coilover kit from Maximum Motorsports that only fits the Bilsteins which I am way passed the return window on. So doing an about face to something else is going to be costly.

I called Bilstein yesterday to see if they are actually continuing to manufacturer these struts and the tech couldn't even look up the part in his system which was concerning. He was supposed to get back to me today and obviously didn't.

Saw Steeda was showing 5 in stock on their website so I called them to confirm that was true and it wasn't. Their supplier only had 1.

Called Summit to see if they could get to the bottom of it with Bilstein and they couldn't get me an answer right away but did call me back an hour later to confirm that they are still being made with an estimated ship date of 7/30.

So here I am stuck with a suspension project that I was aiming to get done in the winter with the earliest possibility being August. If I really want to press the issue to do something different it's going to cost me hundreds of extra dollars.

Cars are pain.