0.75"› Drop On 5.0 SN Car

Terrorist 5.0

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I have been doing some extensive research on springs for the SN95 cars but cannot find a conclusive answer. Here is my problem.

The car in question (1995 GT Coupe) came with lowering springs from the previous owner. He didn't know what they are and neither do I. I do know they are blue, which leads me to suspect they are H@R or Steeda according to most websites showing them as blue, but any spring can be powder coated. The issue is that they are pretty stiff (which I am sure there are other factors too that cause this), and the car scrapes the exhaust on speedbumps. On top of this, I put in some new emergency brake cables to get it to grab a little (which did help), and even with the cable support tabs bent all the way up, one of the cables are rubbed through to the metal. It still works, but I would imagine its gonna have way less of a service life now. Besides all that, the car is simply too low for me. I don't like the way it looks sitting that low.

So this leads me here. I want to get some springs that will raise the car back up some, maybe make it ride better and be less of a pain in the ass during real world use. I wanted to keep the car using all Ford parts as much as I can so I stumbled across the Ford Performance C/B springs. They are relatively inexpensive, ride nicely in the case of the B spring that I had my eye on, and are Ford parts, which check off all my boxes. My one issue is that according to the website, they lower all 1979-2004 Mustangs (minus the IRS Cobras) 0.875" in the front, and 0.5" in the back. With the height that the early SN95s left the factory at, sounds good to me. But then I looked into it more, and many people reported drops of up to double the specs, with some also reporting terrible reliability (although I'm sure there is a reason for that). The pictures I saw showed me the same thing. They are known to be low, especially in the front, even with the isolators in. Now, the site specifies all 1979-2004 Mustangs, so I am sure there is a weight difference between the Foxbody and the SN95, and then the switch from the 302 to the 4.6 in 1996.

This doesn't take the B springs off the table for me just yet as I am sure I can find a way to raise the car regardless, but I was thinking about New Edge springs. Somewhere on one of the forums, someone posted a chart with measurements in their experience, and I found something rather interesting. B springs were listed as a 1.5" drop in the front, and 0.75" drop in the back. Too much for me in the front. Then I noticed the New Edge Bullitt and Mach 1 springs offer a 0.75" drop all the way around. So I want to look into that.

Anyway, thanks everyone for any help in advance, and if any of you have an SN95 on B or C springs (or anything that isn't too low) please post some pictures, along with a short description of the set up. It would be a huge help.

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
So I had a friend that was going the cheaper route
He wanted the car to have a bit of a rake to the front end
So he pulled the front springs out
And cut 1 coil out to drop the car an inch
Left the rear alone stalk hight so he could tuck a larger tire in
Did not cost any thing and did not hurt the performance of the car
That is one option

OP
OP
T

Terrorist 5.0

Reaction score
So I had a friend that was going the cheaper route
He wanted the car to have a bit of a rake to the front end
So he pulled the front springs out
And cut 1 coil out to drop the car an inch
Left the rear alone stalk hight so he could tuck a larger tire in
Did not cost any thing and did not hurt the performance of the car
That is one option
I could do that if I have stock springs but the car came with lowering springs on it already. 1" is a big drop for me too. I'm hoping 0.5"-0.75" drop, leaning to half an inch.

Warhorse Racing

Reaction score
I've used the Ford Performance C springs on my 1992 GT autocross car and my 2000 GT convertible autocross car. They are a great performance lowering spring. But they did lower the front of my 1992 GT a little too much (these cars handle better when they sit higher than most people think looks cool). I was happy with the height of my 2000 GT. The solution for my 1992 GT was to use Steeda front spring spacers (along with poly isolators). They raise the front of the car 1/2".

You can see the Steeda spring spacers 6 minutes into this video:

And there are install tips for them in this video:

For a street car, the progressive B springs will be more comfortable.

TrickVert

Reaction score
The "old-school" solution was to go with 2001 Bullitt springs and Tokico Blue shocks. There used to be a kit for this, but I haven't seen it in years. There might be some stuff in forum classifieds?

EDIT: I forgot about the Mach springs mentioned below as an option, too.

Last edited:

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
I had C springs on my Fox. It dropped the front WAAAAY too much and I hated it. Rode like a truck because suspension travel was non-existent. I got rid of them and actually put Mach springs on the car (no isolators). Was a great combo up until I went coil-overs.

For my 2000GT convertible, i almost put the Mach springs back on. I decided to go with the Ford Racing "G" springs, which came as a Eibach Pro-kit with a Ford Racing label on the Eibach box. It lowered the car 3/4" and the rates are only a little firmer than stock. For my needs, it was perfect. They do have a standard Eibach pro-kit for coupes.

EDIT. 2001 bullitt springs will drop about 1/4" more than 03/04 mach springs. Ford had to lift the cars up a tad for some reason in 2003, so the mach springs have maybe 1/8 more turn in the front coil. Can be trimmed, but just need to be aware.

OP
OP
T

Terrorist 5.0

Reaction score
I had C springs on my Fox. It dropped the front WAAAAY too much and I hated it. Rode like a truck because suspension travel was non-existent. I got rid of them and actually put Mach springs on the car (no isolators). Was a great combo up until I went coil-overs.

For my 2000GT convertible, i almost put the Mach springs back on. I decided to go with the Ford Racing "G" springs, which came as a Eibach Pro-kit with a Ford Racing label on the Eibach box. It lowered the car 3/4" and the rates are only a little firmer than stock. For my needs, it was perfect. They do have a standard Eibach pro-kit for coupes.

EDIT. 2001 bullitt springs will drop about 1/4" more than 03/04 mach springs. Ford had to lift the cars up a tad for some reason in 2003, so the mach springs have maybe 1/8 more turn in the front coil. Can be trimmed, but just need to be aware.
The "old-school" solution was to go with 2001 Bullitt springs and Tokico Blue shocks. There used to be a kit for this, but I haven't seen it in years. There might be some stuff in forum classifieds?

I've used the Ford Performance C springs on my 1992 GT autocross car and my 2000 GT convertible autocross car. They are a great performance lowering spring. But they did lower the front of my 1992 GT a little too much (these cars handle better when they sit higher than most people think looks cool). I was happy with the height of my 2000 GT. The solution for my 1992 GT was to use Steeda front spring spacers (along with poly isolators). They raise the front of the car 1/2".

You can see the Steeda spring spacers 6 minutes into this video:

And there are install tips for them in this video:

For a street car, the progressive B springs will be more comfortable.
I do very much like all these ideas, and I’ve narrowed it down to two possibilities. Before, I need to know a couple things first.

Let me start with number 1: For the sake of having a new part as opposed to a used part in the car, I think B springs with half inch spacers front and rear should get ride height very close to stock (I would hope, please do correct me if I’m wrong). This way I can have the comfortable ride with the performance in the corners, and get rid of the bottoming out everyone talks about with B springs. The main things I want to know about this possibility is who has used B springs on the 302 cars (94-95 ONLY but 96-98 examples would be greatly appreciated too, V8’s only please) and how much drop did they see from stock. Pictures would be nice too, and I would like to hear some experiences with and some good places to look for spring spacers.

Possibility number 2: Either Bullitt or Mach 1 New Edge springs. Pretty straight forward. I would like to try and avoid this one if possible because the only parts I would find going this way would be used, and with these being the higher performance versions of the mustangs, they are going to probably be used up pretty good. Now with these being designed for the New Edge, and in the case of the Mach 1, supporting the DOHC engine, I would assume they would have a different drop on a pre New Edge car (again, if anybody has any, pictures of 94-95 ONLY but 96-98 examples would be greatly appreciated too, V8’s only please).

I have done a lot of looking around and not many people go the B/C spring route and when they do they end up taking the isolators out and cutting them, which makes it hard for me to get any sort of reference, and for the record, I will be using new rubber isolators. I know those affect height a little. I did take a couple pictures of my car as it sits for you guys to see, it might help out. I’m going down to get measurements very soon. Thanks you guys, it’s all a big help. Pictures will be up soon.

Last edited:

Wmac

Reaction score
Not a good pic, but still riding on 20+ year old bullit springs.

Attachments

• 20200915_114715_LI.jpg
    20200915_114715_LI.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 6
OP
OP
T

Terrorist 5.0

Reaction score
Not a good pic, but still riding on 20+ year old bullit springs.
That looks good from that angle, I don't know if you have any more pictures but Bullitt springs are for sure on my watchlist, love what you did with the side skirts too.

OP
OP
T

Terrorist 5.0

Reaction score
The pictures above are of the car I am trying to lift back up. The pictures aren't great, but I think they can get the point across. Bottom of wheel center to fender at all 4 corners is the same - between 26.25" and 26.5". Wheel and tire sizes are stock, the 17" tri bars with 245/45/17's around them. From the ground to around the bottom of the side skirt is around 7" (I say around because the side skirt is bent in some spots, I'm planning to go skirtless and weld the holes in the future). In one of the pictures, the spring itself is shown. Excuse all the leaks and hanging connectors, but those are the blue springs I was talking about.

OP
OP
T

Terrorist 5.0

Reaction score
Probably 20 yr old pics.
That side one was just what I was looking for. It's pretty much just what I am looking for, slightly on the low side (can't really tell just by looking because the pictures are old and taken in the shade in the one I looked at for reference) although I can't tell 100 percent, but the front is slightly higher than the back? It looks like that in one of the pictures, unless that is just the road. Those were very helpful pictures, thank you.

Last edited:

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
This post is a bit old, but you can see if he still has his bullitt springs.

I have a set, but at this time I want to hang onto them. I liked them enough that i want to hold onto them for some future vehicle.

Finn

Reaction score
I changed springs on my -95 GT this year with Ford Performance M-5300-B. I chose Bilsteins shocks.

IIRC Ford said drop front to be appr. 0.8" and rear appr. 0.5". It has been very suitable for me.

EDVoayT.jpg

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
Running poly isolators over rubber isolators will also help with ride height. The initial difference may not be much, but over time the rubber isos will compress a lot more as the car "settles" down.

I ran springs with and without any isos and noticed zero difference in NVH.

badass98svt

Reaction score

I don't even think they make Tokico HPs any more (blues)

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
Nice DFG!! Upon reviewing this picture, have you inspected the control arm bushings? Hell, ALL of the bushings?? The won't effect ride height much but deteriorated rubber bushings will certainly effect ride quality and performance.

1702495611058.png

TrickVert

Reaction score

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online