01 Cobra bottom end swap.

Wild Horses

Reaction score
For those who haven't seen my other threads, I recently picked this 56k mile 01 cobra up with a rod knock in an original Teksid bottom end. Traded my running GT for this super clean car, so I guess I was just hoping for the quick fix...
Last week I pulled the K-Member and just threw some nice new rod bearings in it and new cap bolts. It seemed to do the trick until this afternoon on my way home. About 5 days it lasted. My machine shop advised against just putting bearings in it but I figured I'd try anyway. What happened was the caps that were knocking must have egg shaped themselves and wouldn't let the new bearings properly seat. Oh well I guses... It was DEFINATELY worth a shot since I have free access to a lift and shop whenever I need it.

I'll now be swapping in my Marauder WAP bottom end into the car while I build up the Teksid over the winter. So it's not all bad news. I'd much rather have a teksid with a forged crank sitting on a stand in the garage than an un-forged Windsor. I'm thinking all new bearings of course, have the block checked out/squared up, SVT Manley or coyote rods?, have the crank turned/polished, and top all that off with termi pistons or similar dished pistons and my 04 9 threaded c-heads with the terminator eaton. Should be a hell of a build and ready by next spring!

The WAP only has 115k on it so she should last a good while if I keep 7qts in her.

Here's what I've got done so far... Lol. Moving right along. Should be swinging tonight.
The beginning. These 4vs are almost intimidating.
image_zpsqudz2xyb.jpg

image_zpssrwufeyg.jpg

image_zpsrhf07z4w.jpg

image_zpsfkwl6cfg.jpg

image_zpsus5autfb.jpg

That DS cam cover is gonna have to WAIT lol
image_zpsnz29aifx.jpg

image_zpsqwam8z0q.jpg

Have a ford racing head gasket/bolt kit on its way. Hoping to be able to fire her up by Sunday! Keep your fingers crossed! I'll keep this thread updated as much as possible. It's hard to take pics while working sometimes but I'll do as much as I can.

QEUSTION: SINCE IM MOVING FROM AN 8 BOLT CRANK TO A 6 BOLT CRANK I KNOW I HAVE TO CHANGE FLYWHEELS... I HAVE AN EXTRA ONE FROM A 6 BOLT ROMEO GT. I KNOW ITLL BOLT UP TO THE WINDSORS CRANK, BUT WILL THE COBRA CLUTCH BOLT TO IT???? I NEED TO ANY AND ALL INFO ON THIS ASAP SO I KNOW WHAT TO ORDER OR IF I SHOULD JUST TURN THIS FLYWHEEL. THINKING THIS MAY BE THE ONLY ISSUE I RUN INTO....

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
No, the cobra clutch/flywheel is an 11" while "most" 6bolt flywheels were fitted for 10.5 clutch. Their are some some 11" 6bolt flywheels out their due to the gt's 6to8 bolt switch over. Needless to say, check on it and then execute.

OP
OP
Wild Horses

Wild Horses

Reaction score
No, the cobra clutch/flywheel is an 11" while "most" 6bolt flywheels were fitted for 10.5 clutch. Their are some some 11" 6bolt flywheels out their due to the gt's 6to8 bolt switch over. Needless to say, check on it and then execute.

Thank you sir... Just the info I needed. So I need a 6 bolt flywheel for an 11" if my flywheel is not for an 11" already.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Yes. If youre looking for a stock 6bolt 11", good luck, but they are out there. Better off buying new cause they come machined for both.

OP
OP
Wild Horses

Wild Horses

Reaction score
Yes. If youre looking for a stock 6bolt 11", good luck, but they are out there. Better off buying new cause they come machined for both.

Was literally just looking at them online before i stopped by this thread...

The flywheel i have looks like its machined for both bolt patterns already.... Could already be a replacement.... Ill post pics.

Id hate to blow money on a new flywheel for a motor ill be using for a few months. And it begins....lol

OP
OP
Wild Horses

Wild Horses

Reaction score

A buddy of mine is saying that all of his 3650 clutches he's exploded, regardless of GT/Cobra all have been 11". 6 bolt GTs 3650 2002-UP 11'' clutch... and of course all 8 bolt cobras

Deceptive GT

Reaction score
If you are just going to put an Eaton on it why not through some Compression to it like 9.5:1 instead of the stock 8.5:1?

OP
OP
Wild Horses

Wild Horses

Reaction score
If you are just going to put an Eaton on it why not through some Compression to it like 9.5:1 instead of the stock 8.5:1?

All of that will be sorted out once I get to buying internal parts. I first need to make sure the block doesn't need any decking as well as the heads. Then I can decide on the right piston dish. I've read quite a bit on these aluminum blocks and how the head gasket mating surfaces like to get scratched up easily and may effect the seal. Idk... I just want to build an aluminum version of the termi.

OP
OP
Wild Horses

Wild Horses

Reaction score
Update.... Tek motor out. Swapping parts over to the WAP now. Hoping to have everything back together by Tuesday. Only part that is making me nervous is torquing those big ass heads down and hoping i have the mating surfaces smooth enough....

image_zpscwwrek5e.jpg

Found a six bolt 3650 flywheel for an 11" with like 30k miles on it. $25!!! Grabbing that tomorrow. Last part i need.
image_zps68av78ac.jpg

image_zpsi83a7lx3.jpg

image_zpsdtwldx95.jpg

Gonna get a matte wrinkle clear coat for these Marauder cam covers i painted. Should look kinda like the BOSS motor when im done.
image_zps7gannzea.jpg

SO FAR.... I havent run into ANY issues like bolt sizes or parts swapping over from the Teksid to the Windsor. But i have a ways to go yet.

derry96gt

Reaction score
I thought the cobra motors went to iron block do to the front main. Issues of spinning bearings on the front main when they started super charging them

Sent from my SM-S765C using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Wild Horses

Wild Horses

Reaction score
Finally remembered to call SVT and got my build number, which is #445
SHES AN EARLY CAR.... I like it

OP
OP
Wild Horses

Wild Horses

Reaction score
Motors together, with the 6 bolt 11' flywheel, all fresh painted parts and clean everything...its ready to drop in other than bolting the exhaust manifolds on...
image_zpszdytbrfa.jpg

image_zpsbgt0lkzi.jpg

image_zpsjpwf6ia6.jpg

image_zpsuldcmwtz.jpg

Also rolled the car outside and gunked the engine compartment. Shes gonna look clean! Hoping to do test n tune at the race track Sunday.

image_zpslmvmvimf.jpg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah