'01 Cobra consuming oil, any ideas on whats the issue?

4.6Stangrage

Reaction score
My '01 Cobra has been using a quart per three weeks of driving. I dont even put that many miles on it. Last oil change i did I used Castrol Edge 5w20 with no other additives and it has been going through it pretty quickly. The engine does have minor leaks but most definitely not a quart per three weeks worth. When I bought the Cobra 6 months ago I noticed it was consuming oil, then I topped it off with a quart of Synthetic Lucas Oil Stabilizer and it stopped the consumption. I prefer not to use Lucas Oil if i dont have to, think I should go to 5w30 instead?

fran5o

Reaction score
You could definitely try a heavier oil, maybe 10-30 or even 15-40. How many miles on engine? Is it smoking?

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
I'm no expert on the subject but I don't know if the mod motors respond well to thicker oil. 96blak54 could probably explain the science behind why the thinner oil is necessary

Edit: as for the oil consumption, look for blue smoke out the tail pipes. A lot of times on the 2v motors the valve seals wear out causing oil to burn

OP
OP

4.6Stangrage

Reaction score
I'm no expert on the subject but I don't know if the mod motors respond well to thicker oil. 96blak54 could probably explain the science behind why the thinner oil is necessary

Edit: as for the oil consumption, look for blue smoke out the tail pipes. A lot of times on the 2v motors the valve seals wear out causing oil to burn

Yeah I am not getting blue smoke at all and it performs really well. My 96Gt never consumed oil but I also used 5w30 in that engine.

SnakeBit!

Reaction score
I agree on the thicker oil. these motors do not like thicker oil due to the tolerances Ford installed from all I have read.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
I gonna bet he needs an oil air seperator on the pcv line, like 99.9% of modular engines out there. Check out Steeda, American Muscle, or any parts catalogs. Ebay has a few cheaper options. Or do what I did and buy an air compressor air/oil seperator an plumb it in line of the pcv. Youll need longer hose so that the seperator can be remote mounted in an accessible location.

When driven hard, the pcv opens from the intake vacuum and residual oil suspended from cramshaft spinning gets pulled into that vacuum. The seperator catches the oil keeping it from entering the intake.

I would start there! As for me recommending to every modular engine....get one!

SnakeBit!

Reaction score
true he would need one as you say, like most modulars. however, it sounds like the amount being used is more than the "normal" for being caught in the catch can. I did what you suggested and made my own from water separator at home depot. made a bracket for it and mounted on the firewall. I like ti better than all the ones I see advertised because I can see in it to see how much is in there, plus, a whole lot cheaper.

OP
OP

4.6Stangrage

Reaction score
I gonna bet he needs an oil air seperator on the pcv line, like 99.9% of modular engines out there. Check out Steeda, American Muscle, or any parts catalogs. Ebay has a few cheaper options. Or do what I did and buy an air compressor air/oil seperator an plumb it in line of the pcv. Youll need longer hose so that the seperator can be remote mounted in an accessible location.

When driven hard, the pcv opens from the intake vacuum and residual oil suspended from cramshaft spinning gets pulled into that vacuum. The seperator catches the oil keeping it from entering the intake.

I would start there! As for me recommending to every modular engine....get one!

Ill give that a shot. Im sure thats whats going on. Does about $150 sound about right on the price?

SnakeBit!

Reaction score
that's all you need. that is similar to the one I made. also made a small bracket for mine to mount ot the firewall cover. works great and as I said, then you can see how much is in there.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online