03/04 Cobra tank and pump assembly in 00' Gt

9838stang

Reaction score
Hello everyone, hope all is going well.

If you've seen my build thread, ' money pit pony', you've seen I'm planning on doing my tork tech kit on my 1998/2000 basket case of a mustang lol. Everything on the car for fuel, drive line, engine and electrical are all 2000 mustang GT stuff. As to prepare for my build I was looking all over the Google's to find an answer so I'll ask here.

I was looking at my options as to supporting my future power adder (cobra m112 blower) and didn't like the idea of running a big fuel pump in a little basket and risk running it dry, or running a big fuel pump and drilling holes in the basket to allow the pump to have all the fuel it can handle.... Until I get to 1/2 tank then risk fuel not being able to get to the pump because it's at the back of the tank.

So I bought an 03 complete cobra tank. I will be running 42lb injectors and a 90mm maf as well. But I'm curious if this is possible.

I'm limited on space where I live and would really like not having to have either the cobra tank sitting around while I'm waiting for parts to slowly come in. Can I install the cobra tank with stock fuel pumps on it into my car with out having to tune it? Will there be any issues of doing this? I'm assuming I'll put extra strain on the dual pump since the factory 19lb injectors won't be able to evacuate the fuel as much as the 42lb would be able to.

Or can I install the tank and have the fuel pump cycle duty turned down so it doesnt flow as much?

01yellercobra

Reaction score
You'll probably need a tune to run those pumps. But you might get lucky. The voltage table that would need to be adjusted is only used when the ECU is reset. Such as a battery disconnect or when a tune is flashed. The ECU uses that table as a starting point and eventually learns what voltage is needed to get the required pressure.

The reason I say you might get lucky is for some reason the 99 Cobras usually needed a tune adjustment to run twin pumps. But the 01's were a drop in swap. So the 2000 part of your car might make it work.

OP
OP
9838stang

9838stang

Reaction score
You'll probably need a tune to run those pumps. But you might get lucky. The voltage table that would need to be adjusted is only used when the ECU is reset. Such as a battery disconnect or when a tune is flashed. The ECU uses that table as a starting point and eventually learns what voltage is needed to get the required pressure.

The reason I say you might get lucky is for some reason the 99 Cobras usually needed a tune adjustment to run twin pumps. But the 01's were a drop in swap. So the 2000 part of your car might make it work.
I know there were a couple of changes from 99-00 fuel tanks. There's an evap hole on the side of the tank on the 99 that they did away with on 00. Also the harness are a bit different than and I have to cap off a canister line on the cobra tank.
slight changes in fuel flow can make big changes in how it performs. Ever had a filter that was a little dirty?

I get that, but I'm my mind the injectors would be the cap now at this point.... Not the fuel filter. In that case you still at a lower fuel rate, and putting a dam in it I can see how it would effect it.

But introducing two new pumps, with a higher fuel rating, is that going to over power the rest of the system like evap and purge as well as putting extra strain on injectors

01yellercobra

Reaction score
But introducing two new pumps, with a higher fuel rating, is that going to over power the rest of the system like evap and purge as well as putting extra strain on injectors

No. It'll be fine in that regard.

OP
OP
9838stang

9838stang

Reaction score
No. It'll be fine in that regard.
Sorry I wrote that wrong. I just want to get rid of the stock 2000 gt tank and pump, and put my cobra tank and pump in. But leave my stock injectors in place until I have the rest of my tork tech kit read for install. So if I get the urge to drive the car or "race" the car as a stock N/A 2v car, or just be able to move the car around... Would that effect any drivablity?

01yellercobra

Reaction score
Sorry I wrote that wrong. I just want to get rid of the stock 2000 gt tank and pump, and put my cobra tank and pump in. But leave my stock injectors in place until I have the rest of my tork tech kit read for install. So if I get the urge to drive the car or "race" the car as a stock N/A 2v car, or just be able to move the car around... Would that effect any drivablity?
I knew what you were saying. And no, it won't be an issue. The only issue there might be is the voltage table I mentioned earlier.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I agree, I think you would be fine. Worst case scenario you need a minor tune adjustment. I think most places will do email stuff for $60 or so which would suffice.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
it should not strain anything but as said a retune might be needed to compensate for any additional fuel flow that it provides.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online