$1500 Vortech Kit Guide

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
Honestly, you can part together a V1 S/Si trim with a intercooler and make some good power and it will be extremely reliable. Keep your eye on the classified/corral.net and you can get some great deals. I'm selling my V2 Si the end of this summer/early fall and have two guys lined up right now, but if they fall through and if you are interested in a headunit at that time I'd be glad to hook you up

OP
OP
J

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
v2 si has been rock solid reliable for me, awesome blower...

someone will get a good unit if they buy from mike ya know its been taken care of.

modo

Reaction score
yah know I'm don't know yet, just trying to learn a bunch about it and then decide, it won't be a while down the road. I won't need that much, like you said around 400rwhp, what would you suggest about intercooler and meth? It'll be a street only car, no track or anything, so I don't need anything really crazy. Kinda like justin, probably daily driving it for a bit too.

you would want a Si, the SCi is the entry level blower and would need to be spun harder then a Si.

methanol injection is the way to go. with a intercooler in a perfect world (would never happen) the best intake air temp you would get is ambient (equal to what it is outside).... now that will never happen due to heat soak and efficiency loss across the intercooler itself. now with meth injection you have the ability to get the intake charge below ambient temperature by playing with the mixture ratio of water vs the methanol. additionally the meth / water mixture also adds octane which comes out to 118-120ish with having just 91-93 in the tank. you will be able to make more power safely but will have to tune for it. just adding meth on top of a blower car will more then likely lose power without a re-tune etc.

i've had vortechs for a long time since they pretty much first came out. i have had a a-trim, s-trim, t-trim and now a ysi-trim on my 93. fwiw my car picked up almost 100 rwhp with the addition of the meth vs just straight pump gas. now granted my car is not a average setup but its one example. whoever tunes the car for meth if you chose to do so should tune in a safety factor that as IAT increases timing is pulled / fuel added (forget if you can add fuel based on IAT in a 94-95 computer... might not be able to). that way if you run out or have a pump failure the motor will be fine.

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
v2 si has been rock solid reliable for me, awesome blower...

someone will get a good unit if they buy from mike ya know its been taken care of.

Same here, absolutely not a single complaint, never had a single leak, problem, etc. haha thanks justin, this thing doesnt have a single scratch or nick in it, I think I'm up to 1k miles on the blower lol

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
I completely agree with modo too --- I'm a big fan of meth, and a lot of guys are scared of it for some reason. Just take all your precautions and meth is extremely effective and cost effective. Look into AIS, Snow, Devilsown, Alkycontrol, etc

vermilion

Legend
Reaction score
i am using a V1 T-trim. at 16 psi, i make 575 std/561 sae. im above 500 tq in either sae/std. i also am using 2.5 in piping. that is killing my V1s breathability but it added velocity. i also am using a medium sized procharger aftercooler with a 2.70 pulley and 10% overdrive. i "should" be in the 600 range. my compression is moderate. so, im staying conversatively tuned. this is all on a 4.6/5.0 stroker which i dont spin above 6.2k .

honestly a basic vortech unit will sustain 400 hp easily.

vermilion

Legend
Reaction score
i also did not pay under 1500 for my kit. i DID have a v2 sq s-trim. i bought it for 800 with cooler, headunit, 5.4 bracket and misc. hardware. i sold the head unit for 550. deals can be had. as originally posted its very obtainable.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ccrider

Members online