$1500 Vortech Kit Guide

330CubeGt

Reaction score
I love you, no homo. Ill be using some info ive decided ill be putting together a kit for the Cobra in a few months...

stprorolla49

Reaction score
This is great info, who gives a FUCK who originally wrote it. Everyone's gotta wave their dick around like theirs is the biggest, just let it go!

Back on topic, I'm glad this info was posted and should definitely be sticky'd. Once my build is complete, I'll post a thread highlighting every part I needed including tools, hardware, etc.

This is an excellent way for someone to put together a 400rwhp car on a budget!

Brando

Reaction score
Quick question. When it comes to head units, will i need a head unit specific for 94/95, or will a fox one work too? Also, what about model? Does it have to be a s-trim? Sorry if this is common knowledge, i'm not well versed in blowers.

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Justin, since you seem to know alot about vortech, whats the difference between the v2 & v3 trims?

OP
OP
J

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
V3s are self contained.... that's it I believe haha. V1s have the straight cut gears and v2 v3sare helical

The only benefit is the v3 is easier to install and oil stays cooler in the unit

snoball

Reaction score
Beware of self contained, almost everyone I know personally that has ran them that I know has had to replace the seals at least once, being self contained there is more pressure and it tends to blow out the seals especially at higher boost levels. just my.02

OP
OP
J

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
Personally, I'd go with a tapped unit just because all blowers seem to leak small amount of oil...I'd rather not worry about my blower running out of oil every time I drive the car

vermilion

Legend
Reaction score
Quick question. When it comes to head units, will i need a head unit specific for 94/95, or will a fox one work too? Also, what about model? Does it have to be a s-trim? Sorry if this is common knowledge, i'm not well versed in blowers.

the head units outer design are the same. the difference is the Clock wise rotation. the only difference is the brackets potentially and the discharge piping. some of the discharge pipe is curved vise straight.

if not posted i'll apologize now.

v-1 straight cut gears. hence louder whine.
v-2 helical cut gears. hence SQ meaning super quiet.
V-3 helical cut and self contained.

Note: V4 and up means different levels for racing, CFM demands and certain chassis requirements.

every engine combo and machining alters air/fuel demand. what one 5.0 may not be as efficient for another 5.0. you can take a gamble or talk to a local engine builder.

even though vortech and procharger are different centri blowers, vortech doesnt like bends and most inter/aftercoolers. i have no experience with procharger.

personal note: i learned with having a v1 t-trim. using an "intercooler" makes the air charge cooler and more efficient. the plumbing alters PSI. a 45* angle alters psi .5 and a 90* alters almost 1 full PSI.

Brando

Reaction score
So all that being said, any pushrod 5.0 head unit would work on my 95 5.0?

V8POWA!

Zip Tie Yo Azz for $2.12!!!
Reaction score
thanks for the info on that vermilion, going v1 s trim I think when I eventually get mine!

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
V1's have been proven again and again to be one of the most reliable units out there, like Jason said only brackets and possible piping should change on your setup. On your normal stock motor'd car a v1/v2 will be all you will ever need. If ever plan on going high boost, building a motor start looking into a T/JT/YSi, but thats not your average car. Many guys get carried away by "psi" or "hp", and thats not what you should be looking at to determine what blower is most efficient. You have to figure out the impellar speed of the blower (rpm, crank pulley, blower pulley, step up ratio) and see what best suits you.

V8POWA!

Reaction score
can someone go into the different trims? like you stated 97stang, those are for built motors? or just high boost?

what would be best for lower street car, not built or anything?

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
very basic...but to give you an idea your average mustang without ever going crazy on boost or going with a built motor is going to just need a V1/V2/V3 (as others have stated V1 is louder than V2), but they also failed to mention the different step up ratio that a V2 has. A V3 is self contained oil, now thats just your preference. You will read all this crap on the forums about "ugh oh tapping the oil pan yada yada" but its very easy and I havent had a single leak in my blower for 5 years now. When you start spinning the blower 20+ psi on a built motor, thats when efficiency really comes into effect, and a V7 headunit comes into play. If you are just going to be slapping a blower on a pi/non pi motor and staying in the 400rwhp range than v1/v2/v3 will all be more than enough

V8POWA!

Reaction score
ok got that, but there are different v1 trims correct? t trim si trim s trim sci trim? what would be the best for v1 400rwhp range like you said? I was thinking v1 s trim, that'd be fine I think?

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
Yep, V1 S trim is an older model, which they no longer make. I would say look into S, Si, or a T trim only if you plan on growing in the future. The T trim is a pretty large blower and I have a buddy making 750rwhp with one. An Si is vortech's new entry level blower, and even the Si there are guys pushing some nice power with. For 400rwhp, I dont think you can go wrong with an S or Si. Plan on going intercooled? possibly meth?

V8POWA!

Reaction score
yah know I'm don't know yet, just trying to learn a bunch about it and then decide, it won't be a while down the road. I won't need that much, like you said around 400rwhp, what would you suggest about intercooler and meth? It'll be a street only car, no track or anything, so I don't need anything really crazy. Kinda like justin, probably daily driving it for a bit too.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vallybell

Members online