1994 gt clutch cable too short?

iamscomar

Reaction score
I ordered a AMS 402cc318 replacement clutch cable from rockauto for my 94 gt.I have checked on several sites and they all say this is the correct one.Today I pulled the old one out and it is about 6 inches longer than the new one.I there something I dont know about for the install,or is this indeed the wrong cable.Thank you in advance for any input.

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
Welcome to the site.
Let me get this outa the way first. The only clutch cable that lasts worth a damn is the OEM cable.
Are you still using the stock quadrant or have you switched to a billit double hook with a FWA?

OP
OP
iamscomar

iamscomar

Reaction score
I switched recently to the double hook billet with firewall adjuster.This cable is supposed to be an OEM replacement.

OP
OP
iamscomar

iamscomar

Reaction score
Well,after some rerouting to avoid the headers and lots of adjustment (and cursing) I finally got it to work.Hopefully it will last awhile.

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
"OEM replacement" isn't the same as OEM.
At least it's relitively easy to change out.
Start practicing on shifting without using the clutch. Incase it snaps and your not near home.

OP
OP
iamscomar

iamscomar

Reaction score
I dont use the clutch alot anyway,but i have already had to drive it home once like that when the stock quadrant stripped out.I admit that I cheaped out on this cable,we will see how far it gets me.I usually try to buy nice parts for my car when my budget permits.

talltim

Reaction score
You may have to cut off the rubber "bumper" on the new cable since you are using the fire wall adjuster and the aftermarket quadrant.

OP
OP
iamscomar

iamscomar

Reaction score
I did have to cut that off of the old cable to fit the fwa, but the new one fits perfectly.

OP
OP
iamscomar

iamscomar

Reaction score
It lasted 1 week ,so I am definately going to spend the extra cash on a good one this time.Are the Steeda or Ford Racing any good?

OP
OP
iamscomar

iamscomar

Reaction score
i cant find a non adjustable FMS one,I see lots of good reviews for the MM cable.It is a bit pricey,but Im sure it will be worth it if its as good as they say.

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
I havent heard of different lengths. If it doesn't reach then your probably routing it incorrectly.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vallybell

Members online