1st time at Drag Strip

98svtcontour98

Reaction score
Here's the video of my first time at the drag strip from last night. Wow, what a learning experience! I never would have imagined I would be that nervous, or that going A to B would be that challenging. Watching the tape back is quite humbling and educational
smile.gif

My car is a 1996 Cobra with JLT RAI, BBK LT Headers, BBK O/R H-pipe, and Flowmaster Cat-back Exhaust. I know the car is capable of faster times but I have a lot of work to do on my driving skills.

I'm open to everyone's suggestions on what I can do to get better. Why was I spinning in 2nd gear so bad? Maybe I needed to spin the street tires a little more beforehand?

Any guesses on what you think the car can run with a better 60ft given the MPH I'm at (my 60 on the 4th run was 2.27)?

Thanks.

[video=youtube;7UlfIos6k0w]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UlfIos6k0w[/video]

joekd

Reaction score
Did you make sure to drive completely around the water box? Even a little water on street tires can cause spin at the track

I never spin street tires, just "hop" them a couple time to clean any dirt off the tread

03DSGGT

SN95 Supporting Member
Reaction score
It looks like you were improving every run, so that's good. Like joekd said, make sure to avoid the water box and there may have even been some dew forming on the track since it was at night. Keep practicing, its amazing how much time you can knock off your E.T. just by improving your driving skills. Your MPH shows that you can E.T. in the mid 13s, so shoot for that goal now, then the only thing left to do is more mods!

RichV

Reaction score
You should be in the 13s with the MPH, as stated.

I don't have experience with 4v on launch RPM and such, but it seems like the tires you have are not very grippy. Not sure on how well this track is prepped, but maybe invest in a pair of drag radials and rear wheels.

Also, just a drag racing etiquette thing, don't stage before the other lane. Trip the pre stage lights 1st, then the other lane trips their pre stage, then you stage, then they stage. You can always tell a newb at the staging lanes when they stage before you even get your bunout done. JS

Not bad for your 1st time!!

joekd

Reaction score
Also, just a drag racing etiquette thing, don't stage before the other lane. Trip the pre stage lights 1st, then the other lane trips their pre stage, then you stage, then they stage. You can always tell a newb at the staging lanes when they stage before you even get your bunout done.

100% truth, it's just bad etiquette. It makes the other driver feel rushed.

Also always remember the lane closest to the return road turns in first no matter who won, you can run a 20 second run and the 11 second guy in the outside lane still should wait for you. Most tracks enforce this heavily though as it's a safety issue.

Test and tune is exactly that, keep testing until you are comfortable at the track. My first time I had my old GT out on drag radials I launched and pulled it right out of first gear because it launched a lot harder then I was expecting so I put down a 17 second pass (after I realized pulled it out of gear I went back into first and dropped clutch leading to a nice spinfest)

Took a lot of launch practice on my current car (4000+ pound car) but I am now pulling 2.0 60' times on street tires, have a set of DR's ready to go if I don't see the times I want this season

OP
OP

98svtcontour98

Reaction score
Did you make sure to drive completely around the water box? Even a little water on street tires can cause spin at the track

I never spin street tires, just "hop" them a couple time to clean any dirt off the tread

I tried to drive completely around the water box but the place I was at basically had water everywhere and no where to truly drive around it so I did my best to avoid.

It looks like you were improving every run, so that's good. Like joekd said, make sure to avoid the water box and there may have even been some dew forming on the track since it was at night. Keep practicing, its amazing how much time you can knock off your E.T. just by improving your driving skills. Your MPH shows that you can E.T. in the mid 13s, so shoot for that goal now, then the only thing left to do is more mods!

I've got 4.30s waiting on me to figure out how to drive this thing right. I wanted to get some baseline times done before I do the 4.30s.

You should be in the 13s with the MPH, as stated.

I don't have experience with 4v on launch RPM and such, but it seems like the tires you have are not very grippy. Not sure on how well this track is prepped, but maybe invest in a pair of drag radials and rear wheels.

Also, just a drag racing etiquette thing, don't stage before the other lane. Trip the pre stage lights 1st, then the other lane trips their pre stage, then you stage, then they stage. You can always tell a newb at the staging lanes when they stage before you even get your bunout done. JS

Not bad for your 1st time!!

I did know the etiquette rule but was just too nervous to reverse back to pre-stage on runs 3 & 5. I'll be sure to do better next time tho.

100% truth, it's just bad etiquette. It makes the other driver feel rushed.

Also always remember the lane closest to the return road turns in first no matter who won, you can run a 20 second run and the 11 second guy in the outside lane still should wait for you. Most tracks enforce this heavily though as it's a safety issue.

Test and tune is exactly that, keep testing until you are comfortable at the track. My first time I had my old GT out on drag radials I launched and pulled it right out of first gear because it launched a lot harder then I was expecting so I put down a 17 second pass (after I realized pulled it out of gear I went back into first and dropped clutch leading to a nice spinfest)

Took a lot of launch practice on my current car (4000+ pound car) but I am now pulling 2.0 60' times on street tires, have a set of DR's ready to go if I don't see the times I want this season

Thanks for the advice!!!

I can't wait to go back, but I was shocked at the amount of cars out there with big tires and parachutes!

joekd

Reaction score
Another tip for better 60' times, as soon as you light the prestage light crawl forward and stop the instant the stage light comes on, your time starts after you completely clear the beam and this can give you a slight advantage

Also when doing just test and tune ignore everyone who says leave on 3rd yellow, reaction time doesn't mean jack, you can sit on the line for a minute and get the same ET, why risk a redlight when you are still learning?

joekd

Reaction score
I can't wait to go back, but I was shocked at the amount of cars out there with big tires and parachutes!

I always tell people when you bring a decent street car you will never be the fastest or slowest car out there, have yet to be proven wrong

People get really surprised when I line up the family sedan, open the exhaust cutouts and put down low 13.1's (going to be high 12's this year)

OP
OP

98svtcontour98

Reaction score
Another tip for better 60' times, as soon as you light the prestage light crawl forward and stop the instant the stage light comes on, your time starts after you completely clear the beam and this can give you a slight advantage

Also when doing just test and tune ignore everyone who says leave on 3rd yellow, reaction time doesn't mean jack, you can sit on the line for a minute and get the same ET, why risk a redlight when you are still learning?

Thanks for the tip on staging!

Yeah I think next trip I'm going to ignore the lights bc each time I felt completely rushed and didn't even really know where I was launching at (rpms). Next time I'll wait until my rpms are ready.

I always tell people when you bring a decent street car you will never be the fastest or slowest car out there, have yet to be proven wrong

People get really surprised when I line up the family sedan, open the exhaust cutouts and put down low 13.1's (going to be high 12's this year)

Yeah they had everything ranging from bikes running 8.80s to lifted trucks running 16.50s

joekd

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip on staging!

Yeah I think next trip I'm going to ignore the lights bc each time I felt completely rushed and didn't even really know where I was launching at (rpms). Next time I'll wait until my rpms are ready.

Yeah they had everything ranging from bikes running 8.80s to lifted trucks running 16.50s

It's test and tune, not bracket racing so don't feel pressured. My first time at the track the guy next to me red lighted (badly) I freaked out because I heard his motor so floored mine, sure enough red light for me too, pretty embarrassing moment

My buddy who I see at the track a lot has a snowmobile running 11's, that thing amazes me everytime

95GT86SS

Reaction score
Figure out where the 4v likes to launch off of in the RPM range.i noticed in the video you were bogging a bit. Try 1000 on the tach, it's a good starting point. If it still bogs raise it up on the next run. I.E. 1500 then 2000. Biggest thing is keeping your traction. Like stated before maybe invest in some slicks. My old 302 liked to launch at 2000 with a decent 60 ft time on slicks. On streets I'd blow the tires away at that RPM. So I would launch at 1000. If you plan to put 4.30s in then I'd do it now instead of later cause you'll have to relearn the car then.

95 GT BBK CAI TB MSD 6AL O/R H SLP LM1
Coming soon GT40 Heads Intake and e303 cam with Long tubes

Mustanger

Reaction score
I loved this! Thanks a lot for posting!!! I have yet to go to the track for my first time...so this is VERY helpfull...Neat to see you going quicker & quicker & I can see you in the 13's very soon! Fun!

OP
OP

98svtcontour98

Reaction score
I loved this! Thanks a lot for posting!!! I have yet to go to the track for my first time...so this is VERY helpfull...Neat to see you going quicker & quicker & I can see you in the 13's very soon! Fun!

Awesome, glad it was helpful!

Figure out where the 4v likes to launch off of in the RPM range.i noticed in the video you were bogging a bit. Try 1000 on the tach, it's a good starting point. If it still bogs raise it up on the next run. I.E. 1500 then 2000. Biggest thing is keeping your traction. Like stated before maybe invest in some slicks. My old 302 liked to launch at 2000 with a decent 60 ft time on slicks. On streets I'd blow the tires away at that RPM. So I would launch at 1000. If you plan to put 4.30s in then I'd do it now instead of later cause you'll have to relearn the car then.

Cool, thx for the advice! I have a pair of old 98 gt rims that I may squeeze some radials on before I do back to the track again. I'm not sure when I'll make it back again, I hate to beat on the car and bring it up to those high rpms...I guess I'm a bit concerned things will start to brake.

95GT86SS

Reaction score
Awesome, glad it was helpful!

Cool, thx for the advice! I have a pair of old 98 gt rims that I may squeeze some radials on before I do back to the track again. I'm not sure when I'll make it back again, I hate to beat on the car and bring it up to those high rpms...I guess I'm a bit concerned things will start to brake.
If you're racing you can bet on breaking something. It's all part of it. Even the pro guys break.

95 GT BBK CAI TB MSD 6AL O/R H SLP LM1
Coming soon GT40 Heads Intake and e303 cam with Long tubes

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
The pro guys bank on breaking! When the pro guys pull out their cars from the car hauler, you can bet the rest of the space in there is parts!

EVILSN

Reaction score
It just happens, I've literally never made passes without breaking something. It's like my car picks out my next upgrades for me lol

Sent from my iPhone using My dick

DFG_magic

Reaction score
Good job for first time out! Like others have stated, car should run mid 13's with that trap speed if all stars align. Seems like you are getting the hang of drag racing your car. Only reason I say mid 13's; last time out with my 08 TBSS, I put down a 13.97@99mph so I know your car has a mid to high 13 second pass in it trapping almost 103-104. Excellent video, I enjoyed it!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online