2001 vert trunk light

carbuff

Reaction score
Does anyone know what turns the trunk light on and off on a 2001 vert? I had no trunk light so I looked around by the latch and 3rd brake light. I found the socket for the light but there was no bulb. I put a bulb in it and it works, but that got me thinking. Why was it missing? Maybe it stays on and drains the battery? Idk. Its just a socket. I dont see a plunger switch or inertia switch. What makes it go on and off? Anyone know for sure? I cant see it go out. Maybe Ill check at night.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
there is a mercury switch in the housing. If you suspect its staying on start recording on your phone, throw it in the trunk and see if it stays on.

OP
OP
carbuff

carbuff

Reaction score
I just came back to post my findings and see you beat me to it. I did just that. I left the phone in the trunk and the light went out as soon as the latch closed shut. It went back on as soon as I hit the remote to pop the trunk. My trunk does not pop, combination of bad popper springs, so so struts and heavy spoiler/wing. So I opened the trunk, latched the latch with a screwdriver and the light went out. Went back on when I delatched it with the remote. So it appears that it is activated by a contact in the latch and not a mercury switch. Im thinking now that the guy may have removed it when he changed the top as to not kill the battery. He installed the new top himself and it took him a few days. So, mystery solved. Thanks.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I could have seen myself taking it out to take to the store to replace it and be sure its correct, and then doing one of my magic tricks where I put it in my pocket and make it disappear both from reality and my mind to replace it. I have not figured out what I do to trigger this magic if its wiggling my nose or scratching my crotch but one of those motions can make something with in 3 ft of me disappear. Its no wonder I have no friends anymore now that I think about it...........

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online