4.6 Crank Shaft Pulley Question.... WHICH DO I USE!!!

SRT Handz

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I am swapping in a 2001 (Early Build) 4.6 PI motor into my 98GT

The crack pulleys look different and according to Ford they are different part numbers.

Which crank pulley do I use with the New Motor? The 2001 or the 98 Pulley? I will be using my 98' timing cover and accesories.

any help would be appreciated.

OP
OP
S

SRT Handz

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I hope duffy knows the answer to this....

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
01 on the 01 crank. you should also make note that Ford has different TQ process for 4.6s... make sure you do your research and do the right one.

on 1996-?? they say just crank that motha down to X /ftlbs.
on ??-2004 they want you to TQ and losen, just like a head bolt...

check steeda website for install instructions for their UDs. they have the same steps as your OEM pulleys, except they will give you step by step instructions for the crank bolt.

OP
OP
S

SRT Handz

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
What's the exact reasoning behind using the 2001 pulley. Will the 2001 pulley work with the 98 accessories?

OP
OP
S

SRT Handz

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I kinda need a good answer to this.

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
for starters, the pulley shouldnt make a difference on the accessories; perhaps a longer belt.

Ford did alot of changes in 01. Different H2O pump, different Crank pulley, different bolt process....

i remember you needed a magical flywheel and i TOLD you where to find it, but no... I had to do the rest of your homework and had to give you 3 direct links..........

now, i tell you EXACTLY where to look and who to contact... but no.

heres waht you do handz:
use the 01 crank pulley on the 01 crank.
apply RTV sealant to the keyway on the pulley.
re-install the pulley within 4 minutes of applying sealant.

ford tools suggested to use:
part # 303-102 T74P-6316-B
OR, just use the OEM washer and (i suggest) a new crank bolt (perhaps and ARP one).

Install washer and bolt

(washer goes between bolt and pulley, by the way.)
Tighten bolt in four stages:

Stage 1: tighten to 66 Lb-ft.

2: loosen 1 foll turn.

3: tighten bolt to 37 lb-ft

4: tighten bolt an additional 90 degrees.

apply belt adn take for test drive. feel for vibrations or belt sounds.

OP
OP
S

SRT Handz

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Chris, just for the record, I ordered that flywheel.... But all those places I called confirmed they didnt have it in stock and its discounted. Had to hunt it down.

I am just concerned that the pulley with not work with the 98 accessories.

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
SRT Handz said:
Chris, just for the record, I ordered that flywheel.... But all those places I called confirmed they didnt have it in stock and its discounted. Had to hunt it down.

dont take offense handz, we are all here to learn... i just get frustrated with you sometimes.... im sure you'll make it up to me tonight with that special dinner you promised me :) <3

i am 99% sure you will need a longer belt (probably use the OEM One off the 01 motor) i sold my 1996 gatorback belt to a guy with a 2002 GT and my belt did not fit his car.

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
MustangChris said:
SRT Handz said:

dont take offense handz, we are all here to learn... i just get frustrated with you sometimes.... im sure you'll make it up to me tonight with that special dinner you promised me :) <3

i am 99% sure you will need a longer belt (probably use the OEM One off the 01 motor) i sold my 1996 gatorback belt to a guy with a 2002 GT and my belt did not fit his car.

Not if he is using his front timing cover off the 98 gt, the belt length will stay the same.

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
ah. very nice... tha accessories will stay in the same positions.... good call J-dog.

either way, if he has his 96 belt and his 01 belt, he probably has a belt (or two) that will work fine.

If not, he can get a different length one with no problems from his local parts store...

Lee12609

Reaction score
i know alot of people that swap in PI motors and use the old crank pulley with the old accessories and old water pump pulley and original timing cover.

for that reason i'd say use the crank pulley that matches the accessories you use regardless of crankshaft/engine build date, and the belt will correspond to whichever way you go 96-00 and 01+

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Lee12609 said:
i know alot of people that swap in PI motors and use the old crank pulley with the old accessories and old water pump pulley and original timing cover.

for that reason i'd say use the crank pulley that matches the accessories you use regardless of crankshaft/engine build date, and the belt will correspond to whichever way you go 96-00 and 01+

my reasoning:
they made that HB for the 01 crank and the 96 HB for the 96 crank.... . . . . i wouldnt mix match it unless i had to.

Lee12609

Reaction score
nothing changed about the crank that would change the balance, the difference is the accessories..... specifically i think the tensioner design is the main reason for the total change.

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
why would they go to the effort of changing anything at all (retorical question, feel free to answer if you know. lol)

but the way i see it, is they changed the HB for a reason... a reason i clearly dont know. if he can used matched up parts, he might as well.

OP
OP
S

SRT Handz

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
So I went to NAPA and bought a Brand New '98 Balancer for $65.... Now less money in my pocket.

I am gotta take pics of the 01 and 98 balancer side by side.

Just for the record, If there was a difference then why are all the underdrive crank pulleys the same for 96-04?

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
SRT Handz said:
So I went to NAPA and bought a Brand New '98 Balancer for $65.... Now less money in my pocket.

I am gotta take pics of the 01 and 98 balancer side by side.

Just for the record, If there was a difference then why are all the underdrive crank pulleys the same for 96-04?

aftermarket companies make products for a select few people... people who understand modifying cars will reduce reliability.

ford makes cars for everyone. everyone thinks their OEM car should last forever and be a good reliable car.

Ford may have put more time, research, and development into making a proper harmonic balancer to increase fuel economy, reliability, or maybe even to cut production costs. all things that aftermarket companies arent ENTIRELY worried about.

Ford: reliable, and affordable.
UDs: Performance, and performance.

im baffled as to why you went out and bought another HB pulley... but do whatever you want. thats the joys of our hobby, you can build a car any way you want and the only thigns to stop you are the laws of nature.

OP
OP
S

SRT Handz

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I went and bought the pulley to save me time, and trouble, and find the true answer to this question..... i can always return the pulley.

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
cool beans. where did you get it from? a dealer, or are there cheaper OEM ones online?

OP
OP
S

SRT Handz

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
NAPA, Looks like a quality part. Dealer Wanted $150 for the part.

Before i bought the new pulley, i went to the junk yard to try and pull one off a 4.6.... But there was no way in hell i was getting that pulley off at the yard without air tools.

duff daddy

Legend
Reaction score
Go with what lee and what i told you earlier Greg. If you use the t/c and accessoiers for the 96, stay with that crank pulley.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KrystalAshy001

Members online

No members online now.