Reaction score
I ran out of base coat paint
IMG_0395-D.jpg
IMG_0398-D.jpg
IMG_0404-D.jpg
IMG_0405-D.jpg
IMG_0406-D.jpg
IMG_0409-D.jpg
to finish my front bumper late Friday afternoon so I had time and the cover off till Monday at least. Used some thin wall PVC pipe from Lowes that is PE coated on the inside. I scuffed up the outside with 46 grit sandpaper and shoved it in the hole. I used duct tape to hold the right position till it cured. A little rough in and some paint and I will figure out how to finish the connections after I read your advice.

v6mustang94

Reaction score
I wish someone would sell a foglight adapter for the GT bumper guys.

OP
OP
OLD H2S

OLD H2S

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I just did the re-spray, started to rain, got some wet marks but looks good. I'll post some new pictures tomorrow.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
not sure how well the resin will bond to the bumper honestly. it will stick as it will stick to damn near anything but if it is not bonded properly the slightest tap/bend could cause it to separate. I would have started off by just roughing up the back with some low grit sand paper and possibly even drilled a couple of holes to let the resin to basically bond around the bumper. Also next time for your first layer use a material other then the glass mat that will stretch. Almost anything will do, fleece is popular because it stretches and is really thick so the first layer is often thick enough to support any more layers needed. I have also seen thinner items like grill cloth used. In this case I probably would have just used an old sock as you could have used some cotton thread to tightened around the pipe and then just stretched the other end out around the form.

OP
OP
OLD H2S

OLD H2S

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I coated the back side with silicone wax as a release agent so I can take them off from the back side, then I put 2 washers embedded in the layers so I can use the stock mounting holes with a screws to hold them in when I'm going 199 mph.

OP
OP
OLD H2S

OLD H2S

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I found fog light cover inserts from American Muscle, I will use them when driving on the street. If they fit nice they could be a fast way to make the starting point for the duct work. ttocs I like your idea for the base layer, everyone can come up with an old pair of socks, the first layer is a pain to get right, that would be much faster. Thank you.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Scott gave some very sound advice. Coming from someone who dealt with fiberglass daily for 5 years.

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
Awesome job [MENTION=20979]OLD H2S[/MENTION]

Does your screen name literally mean "Old Hydrogen Sulfide"?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
the strength in fiberglass is from the combination of the weave and the resin. It doesn't even need to be cloth just something the resin can soak into. I have posterboard cardboard to make forms with that just became part of the structure and actually worked really well to make a nice flat surface when it was finished. Socks, panty hoses, grill cloth, fleece, cardboard, it all works. The glass mat is good to throw on top/bottom of the structure to build the thickness you want and I would not make it less then 1/8" at the minimum myself.

OP
OP
OLD H2S

OLD H2S

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Ding, Ding, Ding, we have a winner, someone made it through chemistry class. Yes H2S is hydrogen sulfide the main stinky component in a fart, I am the OLD FART. I am only sixty years old but working on theses cars is killing me, hand strength is down, getting up and down from under the car 100 times to get the next tool is wearing me out. Wish I had the space for a lift and the money....But I have a nice garage and built and painted many cool cars, this Mustang might be the last. Thanks to all your advice and second opinion helps.

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
:)

That's just golden!! We use H2S in one of the manufacturing processes here at work. I work for a Chloroviynl and Aromatics facility.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I use to work at intel in the manf division and we used it there as well in part of the process. There was a lot of other crazy stuff they never taught in chemistry but should have and we had to learn about there for safety aspects. Ever heard of silane gas? Cool stuff as it will self ignite when exposed to atmosphere.....

[video=youtube;8-KL1wBKNzs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-KL1wBKNzs[/video]

OP
OP
OLD H2S

OLD H2S

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Isn't silane gas the precursor to silicone coatings? And you are both right about the lack of good schooling in chemistry, I am the last of the classically trained surgical instrument makers that went through a German style apprenticeship, after the military and working at Mercedes Benz. I eat engineers for lunch and would get called to to meetings to give a master class in some small detail they overlooked and considered trivial that resulted in massive losses.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
yes that is one of the key components for growing the wafers which is about the most accurate way to describe them. They put a layer of silicon down, etch out all the trace lines/holes to go to other layers and the places for the transistors. Then the dope the areas for the transistors to make the silicon into transistors and then put an insulating layer, then another silicon to start all over again. Of course this all sounds easy till you figure that the most recently produced chips have over five and a half billion transistors on it....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser