460 SWAP WASTE OF TIME?

STROKEDPONY

Reaction score
Hello again & Happy Thanksgiving!
My 94 5spd daily driver finally gave up the ghost. The carb'd 302 lost oil pressure at a stop light yesterday & the rest is history. I've seen 460s in the SN95's before & always wanted to do it if the opportunity ever arose. There are several mid 70s truck 460s on craigslist for cheap & low miles. I want to keep my 5spd if possible & it will stay carb'd. Is this swap even worth the effort & is it a pain in the azz ? Thank You For Your Time.:undecided:

97GT4.6

Reaction score
Sorry to hear you blew up your 302. Based on my friend's 460 swap in a fox, it can be done, but it gets expensive very quickly. Big Blocks are notoriously expensive to build, so if you want to upgrade it, prepare to spend big bucks. The 460 is heavy, and big, but can be made to make good power with the right parts. You just don't see too many of them because the same power can be had with a nasty small block. If you decide to do the swap, be sure to post lots of pictures!

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
Well... They make great power with little effort but they weigh a lot more than the small blocks. I say go for it and be different.

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
What are your goals?
Cruise? Go fast in a straight line? Coolness factor? Go fast around corners?

If you want to go fast in a straight line and coolness factor, go for it.
For everything else it'll suck.

OP
OP
STROKEDPONY

STROKEDPONY

Reaction score
Hey guys thanks for the input. Financially i could probably do it but time isn't on my side with my new scheduling at work. I'll have to do some serious homework on this. & BTW 2 very wicked looking animals ! The beautiful Shepherd & the White Pony. Thanks !

OP
OP
STROKEDPONY

STROKEDPONY

Reaction score
Sorry didn't catch the other posts in time to reply. Well i want a daily driver ,but yeah a quick straight liner is always a bonus ;) A co-worker just mentioned a 410 or 427 build. Any comments ? Thanks !

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Daily driver? Those engine will be horrible on gas, but totally worth it.

I'd love to do a 427 personanally.

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
Mine drives well straight and through the curves with the 410w and love the gas... A lot...

OP
OP
STROKEDPONY

STROKEDPONY

Reaction score
Another option just dropped in my lap. Found a locally owned 86 bronco 4x4 with a efi 5.0 automatic. I know its a air density motor but if i use the computer & harness will it work in my 94 being its a 5spd? The V6 computer & harness is still in the 94 aswel just bypassed . Kinda hope this is doable.Thanks.

Win

Legend
Reaction score
Lsx or 351 based stroker... or boost..... 460 not worth it my $.2

Agreed... lsx or 351 base... I personally am going lsx unless i just cant stand it and just gonna throw a Turbo on this stock motor and boost it to the moon and watch it go kaboom eventually haha.... There is a 351 .30 over ready to run by me for 500 for everything in the shortblock

OP
OP
STROKEDPONY

STROKEDPONY

Reaction score
Okay the 460 is a go but in the mean time does anyone have input on my above post about dropping in that speed density motor quick just so i have a driver ? Thanks !

95opal

Reaction score
Im with rz and win on the 460, not worth it at all. Not sure if you have the harness for your car but if you do I would just grab a MAF and go that way instead of swapping ecms and crap.

OP
OP
STROKEDPONY

STROKEDPONY

Reaction score
Well i was going to leave the bronco motor efi since it all complete & just put the computer,short harness ect in the mustang aswel just so i have a driver but the bronco is automatic & mustang is 5spd. Is the computer in 86 dumb enough not to matter ? Thanks. :-\

OP
OP
STROKEDPONY

STROKEDPONY

Reaction score
Hey thanks for all the great advice ! Im excited to get that 460 pulled & dig in. Im still kinda lost on the speed density drop in but I'll figure it out. Thanks again. :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peasant99

Members online

No members online now.