Patientzero

Reaction score
Hello everybody! I can't access Facebook at work so this is the next best thing, lol.

My background:
I did 7 years in the Air Force as an AMMO troop, was stationed in Japan or Italy the whole time. Earned my degree in Munitions Systems Technology(things that go boom) for what it's worth. Moved to Houston, TX after I got out to go to the School of Automotive Machinists (now called SAMTECH) Got my degree in Engine Block/Head machining. Until recently I worked in a couple high end custom car shops and built several $250k+ protouring cars, including a couple SEMA cars. We won a GM Design Award at SEMA, Muscle Machine of the Year, Builders Choice of the Year, and I've now been involved with 3 cars featured in Hot Rod Magazine. I'm also a Holley EFI certified tuner.

I'm not trying to brag or toot my own horn, just giving you an idea of my background and experience.

My car:

2002 Roush Stage 2. It has a LS3 making 480whp/440tq, MM torque arm/panhard bar, Koni coilovers, Holley EFI, Racepak dash, roll bar, 14" Alcon brakes, etc. Main purpose is AutoX and I'm interested in getting into Time Trials.

I've also owned a '98 GT, '99 GT, '87 LX, and '66 coupe along with several Nissans; S13, S14, S15, and Skylines

The car had a Tremec TR-6060 six speed, in an effort to cut weight I've amassed all the parts to swap in a Aisen AR-5 5-speed. That may happen this weekend if the weather cooperates.

_DSC9479small.jpg
_DSC9447small.jpg
_DSC9374small.jpg

Last edited:

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Uhm....yep, youre braggin!

And you should! Cause thats one mean machine pictured! Besides, folks on facialbook dont ......let me say "cant" respect what you have, nor respect why you brag about it (not saying you are bragging).

We all here are diehard sn95'ers and know exactly what you have and appreciate you sharing it.

So ill welcome you to the forums! Dont be shy, post often!

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Just curious as to why to do the ls swap when you could of bolted on a blower for those kinds of numbers with a lot less work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Patientzero

Patientzero

Reaction score
Just curious as to why to do the ls swap when you could of bolted on a blower for those kinds of numbers with a lot less work.

Several reasons.
1. I got a great deal on the LS3 that I couldn't pass up
2. It weighs less than the 4.6 (aluminum vs iron block)
3. It makes more power than the average blown 4.6, yes I understand they *could* make more. It will embarass a bolt-on Cobra.
4. Forced induction is the absolute last thing you want on a track car, way too much heat.

It's very hard to beat the LS when you add up price, weight, parts availability, ease of working on it, physical size, power, etc.

If I could have done a coyote for the same price as the LS I likely would have but it just wasn't possible.

I could bolt a blower onto this motor and make an easy 650whp on pump gas or if I ever get tired of the car I can pull the motor and put in my '79 C10.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Wait,...you gotta discard the weight differences iron vs aluminum. Granted the LS will still be lighter than an aluminum 4.6l, but aluminum 4.6l block are available everywhere.

So there!!

One Point for the modular. ....i think

The ls makes so much sense! Even with engine management systems. Nearly every brand makes a plug n play harness.

Really hurts us FoMoCo die hards

OP
OP
Patientzero

Patientzero

Reaction score
I've long been of the opinion that Ford should have stuck with the 351 platform and developed it further. A coil on plug 351 with a modern forward facing EFI intake would be the equal of the LS. The LS is very similiar in many ways. One of Fords many flaws is changing everything so frequently. There are rumors that Ford is developing a pushrod motor right now to go in the trucks.

OP
OP
Patientzero

Patientzero

Reaction score
Wait,...you gotta discard the weight differences iron vs aluminum. Granted the LS will still be lighter than an aluminum 4.6l, but aluminum 4.6l block are available everywhere.

You asked why I didn't boost the stock motor. Building a new motor would for sure cost more than the LS did. Also need to take into account the center of gravity. Those OHC heads move alot of weight up on that motor. Weight high on the front of the vehicle is less than ideal.

The man in charge of Corvette racing said he dreaded the day they were forced to go to a DOHC powerplant for this very reason.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
This is why I’m building a 418w and it’s going to be cop. I’ve already got the cam sensor and the innovators West harmonic balancer with flying leads. The 351w block is a superior motor and once I get done boosting it with a Holley standalone it should make for a fun car.

And it’s not a rumor about the truck motor. The pushrod is coming back.

PinkieT

Reaction score
I read your post and figured somebody would question the bowtie motor. I was right! My opinion - it is your car, do what you want to it. Welcome!

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I read your post and figured somebody would question the bowtie motor. I was right! My opinion - it is your car, do what you want to it. Welcome!

It is his car and it is for what he wants to do with it.

I just hate how everyone always wants to hate on the Ford motors and act like the bow tie is so superior. When’s the last time you seen a coyote dropped in a corvette or ugly ass catfish?!?!? You don’t, even though it would be a hell of an upgrade. It’s just like all the morons who drop small block chevys in 32 deuce coups and old ford roadsters. You know what the answer is when I ask all of them why???

They say cause it’s got the distributor in the rear and they’re cheap and plentiful.

My best friend is die hard Chevy, but he’s die hard performance first. He has a million dollar collection of cars and one of them is a 65 mustang fastback R code. He admitted he loves that motor and it’s been more reliable than his bow ties for being beat on and holding up.

Again, yes to each their own. I just get sick of people acting like the ford motors are inferior.

I’ll put a pushrod ford against an ls anyday.

OP
OP
Patientzero

Patientzero

Reaction score
I have nothing against Ford, obviously, lol. The 2v is a garbage performance motor, I think we can all agree on that. But in bone stock form it will go 200k miles so you can't really call it bad. I like going fast, I don't care what emblem is on the front. I had a Nissan Silvia with a 2.0L 4 banger making 425whp. I wouldn't mind having a 94/95 GT with a 5.0. The 2017 GT350 is gorgeous.
For my purpose and my budget the LS made sense.

PinkieT

Reaction score
OK, evilcw311. I prefer to see a SBF in a t-bucket or '40 Ford over the done-to-death easy peasy 350/350 combo too. I don't think Patientzero is hating on Ford motors, he just weight all his options and made a decision that worked best for him at the time.

OP
OP
Patientzero

Patientzero

Reaction score
Exactly. Trust me, I would rather see a Ford in a Ford but I also understand there are other options and reasons to pursue other options.

To evilcw311, about your Ford motor in a Chevy comment. We built a 68 Chevy C10 with a Viper V10. It was the V10-C10.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Exactly. Trust me, I would rather see a Ford in a Ford but I also understand there are other options and reasons to pursue other options.

To evilcw311, about your Ford motor in a Chevy comment. We built a 68 Chevy C10 with a Viper V10. It was the V10-C10.

The viper motor has been done to stangs too. The viper motor is great when fresh but most of them start coming apart around 80k.

It’s to be expected when all they did was slap an extra pair of cylinders on the back of the 318!!!! [emoji1787]

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
Welcome to the site, looks like you put in a lot of calculated thought to engineer this build. I can definitely respect that!

PinkieT

Reaction score
It’s not hating if it’s just telling the truth. Lol

I actually want a viper to play with.

Before my Mustang, I had a 70 Road Runner 440 six barrel with Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, nasty Comp Cam, and Hookers feeding a 3" exhaust. It was backed by a Tremec 5 speed (same as a Mustang Cobra R) and a Dana 60. Nonny Nonny Poo Poo!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Patientzero

Patientzero

Reaction score
I got some work done on the car this weekend. Currently swapping the interior to black, I can't stand the tan. I got the dash and door panels changed and have new carpet to go in. I'm gonna figure out some way to cleaning eliminate the console so that it looks finished. Also got my new wheels ordered.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
txnszn

Members online