460 swap

OP
OP
theweatherman91

theweatherman91

Reaction score
I dont think i can get a kaase motor for 10 grand ive heard of them going used for upwards of 20 grand but thats all just what ive heard no real proof there

duh09

Legend
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
If you're wanting EFI, just ditch the factory computer setup and run a standalone such as Megasquirt.

Hope you've got a built rearend or else you'll end up with a nice pretzel for an axle pretty quickly.

OP
OP
theweatherman91

theweatherman91

Reaction score
everything is aftermarket except my suspension and housing but it is an actual 9" and I wont run the truck fuel injection im leaning toward modifying a carb intake and sticking with my computer that im familliar with or i should say i feel like i am anyways i pry still dont understand how all the parameters work...

OP
OP
theweatherman91

theweatherman91

Reaction score
So I've been out for awhile pokin around on f150 forums for guys whove gone from the 5.0 H.O. to a 460 efi... the way to make it work is change all the sensors on the 460 to that of the 302 and the current mustang harness will work... there is also distributor mod's needed but i dont fully understand those. according to guys that have done the swap its as easy as pulling the sensors off my motor and bolting them on the 460 then i can use my maf and not have to cut up the wiring harness at all...

Ineedav8

Reaction score
If you're wanting EFI, just ditch the factory computer setup and run a standalone such as Megasquirt.

Hope you've got a built rearend or else you'll end up with a nice pretzel for an axle pretty quickly.

megasquirt i fully agree i plan on running a ms3 soon just to control the npi shitbox lol and im totally for this build good luck!

OP
OP
theweatherman91

theweatherman91

Reaction score
I am all for the megasquirt suggestion heard lots of good things about megasquirt but also have gotten great power from my factory (replacement) computer so im undecided

OP
OP
theweatherman91

theweatherman91

Reaction score
Well the plan is to stay N/A for now but I might jump to megasquirt just to be safe anyway its easy to get power out of ford computers but i did fry my original the dyno tuner paid for that though he felt badcuz he didnt take all precautions i think it was just ready to be replaced though

OP
OP
theweatherman91

theweatherman91

Reaction score
well i ordered my 521 stroker kit today from scat its the most bang for my buck.... I did upgrade from a cast to a forged crank though. Later on i'll upgrade to a "BIG" stroker kit my original plan was to build an 800 hp pump gas engine using kaase P-51's but those will come later the T-56 magnum swap is already running me 4200 now im into atleast a $5600 engine build id say that after i buy the swap kit that the old lady will be telling me to cool it i think she had something about getting married and having a kid someday lol... I'd get rid of her and keep the car but she scares me

83-88T-Bird Guy

Reaction score
Good luck on your project.
I have done 3 460 swaps ( '83 T-Bird and an '87 Turbo Coupe) as well as a '79 Fairmont. Never done an SN95 (yet)
Been thinking of putting my ol' reliable bracket racing 460 in the green '95 GT I picked up last year as a roller.
The only reason I am thinking of the swap is because I have the parts to install it.

Yes, the 302-408W is the smarter swap, but I can always put a 302 in it later if I want to.

Previous owner converted the green GT to a carb 302 setup.
My 460 mounts should bolt right up and I would need to make a custom trans crossmember because the car did not come with one.
It already has lowering springs and a giant cowl hood, so air cleaner clearance will not be an issue.

Needs some paint on the front tho.

Of course, if I proceed with mine it will be a cheap-o version with D5 cast iron exhaust manifolds (the best fit for a Fox 460 swap) and some old parts laying around.
I just wish I had the time to move forward on it. Having 12 vehicles creates their own problems....lol

I'll be watching your thread here. The one area I am curious about is the steering shaft. It looks to be easier than a Fox 460 swap in that area. Don't know tho.

edit: You might want to check out these 2 sites if you haven't already:

http://www.429-460.com/

http://www.460ford.com/forum/

2cicqcj.jpg

ejtz46.jpg

josh collett

Reaction score
ok so i have been doing research on a 460 swap and please dont discourage me i know it can be done because i have seen a handful of 94-95 stangs with 460's in them i also am aware of frame mods needed and the extra weight... dont try to sell me on a windsor or dart block im 22 years old and i got my 95 at 16 with a 5.0 and t-5 i put a stroked 408 windsor in it ran that for about a year but then my buddy bought my motor so i built my original motor into a 347... 520 horse at the crank pumpgas no frame connector but i also have always always babied my car... basically what i want to do is drop a 460 big block in and im wondering if i carb it what wiring issues will i have and does anyone make headers to work with the stock steering collum the brake booster isnt a problem a tubular k member works nice for clearance issues but thats all ive been able to find i will run a t-56 magnum 6 speed behind it with a quicktime 460 bellhousing :grin: i would really like to fuel inject it as all the 460 cars i have seen have been carbed there are companies that will take your carb intake and convert them for you had one done for my 408 but mainly i dont want to screw anything up in my car as far as wiring has anyone out there ever done something like this how do i wire this beast up?????? btw any of you hardcore ford guys out there that are sick and tired of seeing chevy motors in fox body mustangs my buddy that bought my 408 put it in a camaro and has put 132k on that car and no breakdowns yet i cant believe one of my motors ran that long hes had a few thermostats and a waterpump but no engine issues...
I'm actually in the middle of the same build. Having header issues .. can't find any . Will fox swaps work

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I'm actually in the middle of the same build. Having header issues .. can't find any . Will fox swaps work
welcome to the forum but your asking someone that has not logged on for 8 years. Someone else might know or probably will. Start a post and ask your question

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hok-6224hkr/make/ford/model/mustang

these should fit you will need to make a couple of mods to fit it on bell housing and steer shaft
I ended up making a small dent in them to fit but it will work
these are also about the only ones out there priced decent
and the only ones to fit
when you look them up it will be fox body mustangs
no one makes them for 94 up
I can find long tube headers all day for 5.0 and 5.8 on 94 and 98 but not with 460 7.5
witch makes me think its easy to swap to 351 w parts available
I hope this helps you

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RevJon

Members online