4v swap questions

just a 98 gt

Reaction score
ok im getting stuff together for a 98 4v to swap into my 98 gt my question is i have a tko500 trans will it work with the 4v motor ? any info will help and any other info about the swap is great to thanks

S

silver 4.6

im not sure why not as long as u dont swap the flywheel.. of course i have no idea wtf im talking about when dealing with trannys..

KWClutch

Reaction score
You'll probably have to swap the bell housing. I'd use a t-56 if possible. That's what I put in mine.

Marvin97

Reaction score
is the tko in the car now, bolted to the stock motor? if so it'll work just fine.

OP
OP
J

just a 98 gt

Reaction score
yea its in the car now i just put it in the car like 1000 miles ago an id like to use it so u say it should work tho hey whitevert looks like u have done the swap i know the motor drops right in but iv been told the all the gt stuff will work it just needs a tune and to work on a few wires can u help me with that ? thanks for the info guys

Marvin97

Reaction score
with the exception of one block being aluminum and the other being iron, they are made the same and use the same bell housing so the tranny thing is an easy swap. How complete is this motor you have? You said 98 4v, is it from a cobra or a Mark? I'll just tell you my 4v swap is from an 01 cobra and they're a little different, but i'll try and help you however I can.

You will want to reuse your gt engine harness, it'll work just fine. Also keep the gt computer. It will of course need to be dyno tuned professionally. You will need the fuel rails from the cobra, as well as the throttle and cruise cables. They are longer and your stock cables wont reach. You will also need all the radiator hoses from the cobra along with the thermostat housing. They are different from the gt. Im going to say you will need the MAF meter from the cobra. Im not sure on this, because I don't know if 96-98's came with 19 or 24lb injectors. Im gonna say they have 24lb, if so you will need it.

As far as wiring, I didn't have to extend any wires to make mine work or anything like that. Some people have done it without extending wires, some say you must. I didn't, but who knows what you'll run into. The only thing I had to do was ground my alternator, but being that yours is a 98 I don't know if you'll have to worry about that or not. The only other thing I can think of that might be a problem would be the second coolant temp sensor. 96-98 gt's have 2 coolant sensors, one runs the fan while the other works the temp gauge in the cluster. I don't know if these model cobra's have a second coolant sensor or not. If not it will be necessary to add a second sensor to get your stock gauge to work. I did not do this, as I don't really trust my stock gauges. I installed an autometer temp gauge.

Thats about all I can think of right now, I gotta go do some things. Post up and more questions with specifics that you have and i'll help all I can.

OP
OP
J

just a 98 gt

Reaction score
its a 98 cobra motor but thanks for the info ill keep everyone posted

OP
OP
J

just a 98 gt

Reaction score
well now i have a new question i know theres another post about this but it doesnt help me any my bud found a 03 mach 1 motor intake to oil pan no motor harness what would it take to swap that in bc the mach 1 uses the COP so im not sure about that and also the fuel system any info is great thanks again

KWClutch

Reaction score
You need a lot. Unless you're very good at rewiring your harness. But then you'd still have fuel issues to worry about and have to have your computer reflashed. Or you'll need a Mach harness, ECM, fuel stuff. It's about the same if not cheaper to swap an 03 Cobra tank into your car and go returnless as it is to make your system work. I'm sure there are ways to do it but I'd just go ahead and dish out the money for an 03 Cobra motor if you can. I got mine with harness for 5k.

Marvin97

Reaction score
KWClutch said:
You need a lot. Unless you're very good at rewiring your harness. But then you'd still have fuel issues to worry about and have to have your computer reflashed. Or you'll need a Mach harness, ECM, fuel stuff. It's about the same if not cheaper to swap an 03 Cobra tank into your car and go returnless as it is to make your system work. I'm sure there are ways to do it but I'd just go ahead and dish out the money for an 03 Cobra motor if you can. I got mine with harness for 5k.
Its really not that involved. all he needs for the fuel system is a set of 96-98 cobra fuel rails or aftermarket to work with the return style fuel system. There's no need to switch to returnless. He can also reuse his stock harness and coilpacks with very little wiring. He will need a dyno tune to make it work, but its not really as hard as you're making it sound.

KWClutch

Reaction score
Yeah but unless you know what you're doing it turns into a biggggg mess.

KWClutch

Reaction score
P7100051.jpg

Yeah but I don't think everyone wants to deal with that. lol That's why I got the harness' and everything. Here is my swap thread from SVTP if it helps.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/sn95-cobras-24/592414-98-03-cobra-project.html

Marvin97

Reaction score
KWClutch said:
Isn't he swapping in an 03 Mach motor?
As of right now I think he's still debating on the 03 mach or the 98 cobra, either way neither is a big a hassle as your swap. Both of them will work with his stock ecu/gauge cluster/wiring harness and neither require a stronger fuel setup. Nice swap and numbers by the way :)

OP
OP
J

just a 98 gt

Reaction score
ok so heres the news im going to go with the mach 1 swap and sell the cobra swap and buy a tuner and long tubes and other stuff i need so i will keep u guy posted and whitevert ill send ya some picts as the build goes hope to have it done by april thanks for all the help guys

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chasingomas

Members online