5.4 Swap write-up

r3dn3ck

Reaction score
Got the alternator wired up and installed and that belt back on. Got the upper radiator hose modified and connected (no thermostat for right now... can't find it). Got the TPS wire tapped and connected to the methanol kit, got the relay connected and main power wire for IC pump run. IC pump bracket is almost done. Got the throttle cable installed and nearly finished with the new bracket for it.

I gotta finish those 2 brackets, install a new fuel pump, replace 1 fuel hose fitting with a 90deg, add radiator coolant, IC coolant, fill the methanol/water tank, test all the electrical, check for fuel leaks, start it up.

Here's the engine bay as it sits now

Photo_013110_001.jpg

And a quartering view for some perspective.
Photo_013110_002.jpg

If any of you guys need info/help for your swap feel free to email your Yahoo IM handle to [email protected] (my domain so I have all the addresses I want, spam seemed funny) and I'll ping you back with my handle and we can chat realtime.

1996mustangGT

Reaction score
Decided to stay s/c man? Sorry everything fell through from my end..

josh0092002

Reaction score
ok u guys ive had a major set back with my 5.4 swap. had to scrap the project an sell the motor. :crybaby2: but my hope is again restored buy the fact that i can get a 98 short block for free. only thing is i will be using my 96 heads from my 4.6. will there be any difference in power an torque from the old 02 motor???

r3dn3ck

Reaction score
yeah... you need to find yourself a set of free PI heads and cams. TQ stays very high but hp takes a hit with NPI heads and cams.

OP
OP

330CubeGt

Reaction score
Ive been so busy with this car im parting out along with other things and have not got my interior back together hopefully after i get that done i can try once again to fire it up with the new injectors :angry7:

JeremyAlan

SN95 Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking about going 5.4 really bad now. lol. especially if its pretty much a drop and go thing. i want to be able to drive my car and build the 5.4 then drop it in, break it in, and have a good ol' time! lol

r3dn3ck

Reaction score
the mods that you have to do are so minor that there's really no reason, especially if you have a NPI car. It's not just a PI upgrade, it's a stroker too.

1996mustangGT

Reaction score
blech for 3V..pretty big pain man. I would (personally) either stay 2V or jump to 4v..

JeremyAlan

SN95 Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well the only thing about the 3-valve is the VVT. And I was wondering if you could just hook up an RPM switch to the valves to make it work like normal. If not. Just install the phaser lock out things lol.

Idk. Depends on if I could find a 4v in the first place

1996mustangGT

Reaction score
You can do that, also the exhaust is a little different. But i know some companys make the adapters for 3v to 2/4v exhaust

1996mustangGT

Reaction score
On the timing cover...can we reuse the belt tensioner? or do we need a new one

voidfinger

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I'm still thinking about doing this myself. I parked the stang for a while b/c of needing top and motor having 196k lol. I need to rebuild but why do that when I can put in a 5.4 right. Would like to keep my automatic and maybe get beefed up rear end and axles and put some M/T streets on there and launch it at a couple thousand rpms with that massive tq :)

voidfinger

Reaction score
yeah no joke. So how much are those long tubes going for now? also can they clear the 4r70w

5.Woahhh

Reaction score
330cube, did you do a full write up on your install? After much thought I am heavily leaning towards this swap

Just a few questions.

What size cowl do you think would fit over the stock blower on the L motor? What size would clear a whipple? Having a hole in my hood just isn't an option lol.

What headers fit on the motor? Is it the same as 94-98/99-04?

What are the internals on the L motor rated at?

r3dn3ck

Reaction score
No street legal hood will fit over the L blower a 6" window length pin-on will still need a hole. You'll need about 4" cowl for a whipple but the side inlet may still interfere. If it does you can gain another 1/2" from Maximum Motorsports K-member spacer kit. I'm betting you'll want the cowl section to be wider than normal which means custom hood.

Headers: FTP (pm myillwillinc at mustangboards.com for ordering and pricing info) makes 5.4 mustang longtube headers. Other than that you can use JBA or FRPP shorties or stock 4.6 manifolds. Don't bother with 4.6 longtubes, they won't fit. I've tried several different brands.

The Lightning engine internals are "rated" at anything. Figure anything over about 13-14lbs of boost and you're waiting for fate. All you need to beef it up really is better bearings, ARP main studs and a set of H-beams. You can do all that with a balance job for about a grand if you assemble it yourself.

If you want pics of a stock hood with a hole for reference, check my site at www.54stangs.comhttp:// , pics of the blower on the car are at the bottom. Yes it's a cheesy page, don't give me crap about it.

5.Woahhh

Reaction score
r3dn3ck said:
No street legal hood will fit over the L blower a 6" window length pin-on will still need a hole. You'll need about 4" cowl for a whipple but the side inlet may still interfere. If it does you can gain another 1/2" from Maximum Motorsports K-member spacer kit. I'm betting you'll want the cowl section to be wider than normal which means custom hood.

Headers: FTP (pm myillwillinc at mustangboards.com for ordering and pricing info) makes 5.4 mustang longtube headers. Other than that you can use JBA or FRPP shorties or stock 4.6 manifolds. Don't bother with 4.6 longtubes, they won't fit. I've tried several different brands.

The Lightning engine internals are "rated" at anything. Figure anything over about 13-14lbs of boost and you're waiting for fate. All you need to beef it up really is better bearings, ARP main studs and a set of H-beams. You can do all that with a balance job for about a grand if you assemble it yourself.

If you want pics of a stock hood with a hole for reference, check my site at www.54stangs.comhttp://http://http:// , pics of the blower on the car are at the bottom. Yes it's a cheesy page, don't give me crap about it.

You site is not cheesy at all. It's actually quite informative. If I used my car as just a track car I would very much be all over this. I just can't justify cutting a hole in hood of my car. Such a dilemma.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
senior001

Members online