5Spd Shifter Gasket Opinions Needed

330CubeGt

Reaction score
I have mentioned making them before and had interest but I never pulled the trigger. Well I'm actually going to go throught with it this time...

My goal is to have a durable, re usable silicone gasket so you don't have to make a mess or worry about leaks with rtv/ other gasket makers.

My question to you is, do you think the smaller gasket offered by others that goes between the handle and the base are really needed?

And if my price point was lower but the quality the same.Would you rather buy mine to save some cash and only get the shifter gasket itself.Or do you think the smaller gasket is usefull beteen the handle and base and would you prefer to have it?

My goal is to be between $10-15 shipped and the less work I do the less you guys pay. Or should I just offer both types with or without it and just make the cost a couple bucks different?

Thanks -330

OP
OP

330CubeGt

Reaction score
f your asking yourself, Whats the point of the additional piece/gasket its supposed to help keep noise down...

1bad9d5

Reaction score
I would fully be interested in this 3-4 months ago when I was buying 1.... made a huge difference in noise when I bought it and added it to my MGW shifter

KillNThrill24

Legend
Reaction score
I removed mine... Didn't feel like putting it back on when I removed my B&M and replaced it with my MGW. It was more or less me being lazy lol. But yeah the noise definitely increased a little bit.. But not a whole lot. My car's pretty loud so the little bit of noise increase wasn't something I cared about.

As for the base to trans gasket (assuming that's the other one you were talking about) I say hell yeah I'd love to not have to re RTV the damned thing when I do a tranny flush/fill. Don't mark me down as of yet because I'm still waiting on that phone call LOL but in the future when I get back to modding I'd definitely be down for one!

joekd

Reaction score
I bought 3 sets of cobra bob's gaskets over the years and never once used the handle gasket

OP
OP

330CubeGt

Reaction score
Thanks for the input so far, I personally see no use for it thats why im asking.And figured his are $16 Shipped. If I leave the smaller gasket out thats less work for me I can sell mine for a few bucks less.

OP
OP

330CubeGt

Reaction score
So from what i have found cj pony parts, american muscle and late model resto only offer the shifter gasket itself.
And charge $16.99 shipped.

So I would be able to bring the same quality material to you guys for $6 less if I'm doing my math right :)

Goldmember

Reaction score
I just use RTV and suck it up on the noise. The Cobrabob gaskets always bulge out from the base. Never had luck with them even when I bolted the shifter down looser than I should have.

OP
OP

330CubeGt

Reaction score
I just use RTV and suck it up on the noise. The Cobrabob gaskets always bulge out from the base. Never had luck with them even when I bolted the shifter down looser than I should have.

How long ago was that. He uesd to run a real thin gasket material. Now its thicker his "plus" design.

Goldmember

Reaction score
How long ago was that. He uesd to run a real thin gasket material. Now its thicker his "plus" design.

Last year, and it was the thicker gasket. What happened was that it was bulging out on all four sides. Despite putting the shifter in place carefully, and checking that the bolt holes were lined up between shifter and gasket and trans, the same result each time.

OP
OP

330CubeGt

Reaction score
That's weird, I've seen them get smashed or distorted and hang out if the surface is dirty/greasey and there cranked down real tight But it was normally the old thin ones.

Just like anything in the world,its not for everybody I guess.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Look into what MGW makes theirs out of. They sent me a gasket that was sticky on one side, so you stick it to the shifter and line up the holes, then put it down, and put the bolts through and tighten. I'd pay more for that style than the cobra bob one. I had the pair side by side in my garage and the mgw one was slightly thicker too

OP
OP

330CubeGt

Reaction score
I was considering a 3/16th thick gasket vs. His 1/16th. But I didn't want to get carried away. Just want somthing realistic, durable and cheaper price point for you guys.

ryclef331

Reaction score
I still can't wrap my head around the fact that anyone buys these things? I've never heard anyone say "Jesus. Your shifter is loud." I'd spend the 16.99 on an 18 pack, use a razor blade, cut the gasket shape out of the cardboard of the 18 pack (2 should do the job nicely), drink a beer, and bolt that ***** down, drink a beer in celebration, go for a ride...AND have 16 beers left for after my test spin.

My name is not Jesus btw.

OP
OP

330CubeGt

Reaction score
LoL Thats why i want to make them thicker and cheaper, and the little gasket between the handle and base is what is supposed to help with sound or some crap but the only guy putting them out there is Cobra BoB.

The actual base gasket to me is a better option then rtv/silicone and is re usable...

And yea, you can get creative and make your own gasket but i wouldn't start with cardboard dood! lolz

ryclef331

Reaction score
Manilla folder, poster board, beer box, gasket material....don't matter. You attempting to avoid the metal to metal contact. How you do it, isn't rocket science. I get it though...some people may think its a cheap or janky way to do it but if it works...it works.

96Mystic1189

Reaction score
Manilla folder, poster board, beer box, gasket material....don't matter. You attempting to avoid the metal to metal contact. How you do it, isn't rocket science. I get it though...some people may think its a cheap or janky way to do it but if it works...it works.

I dont know about you, but my tri-ax is exremely loud so there is a point to these things.

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
on my hurst unit i couldnt even use the little one that went between the handle and the base.... :-/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online