6 year anniversary of owning my car (with pics)

03DSGGT

SN95 Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I was going through some pictures of my car and I realized that I have owned my car almost 6 years to the day. The car went from basically bone stock to where it is now. I figured Id throw some pics up to show how the car has changed over the last few years. Little background...I bought the car in mid December of 2005. It was an unexpected buy. I was living in Cleveland at the time with my parents, and I was attending WyoTech in Blairesville, PA. I would drive the 2.5 hours home every Friday after school so I could be around family and friends for the weekend. Well, one night on my way home my explorer broke down (broken flywheel) and I needed a car before I returned to Pittsburgh on Monday. I went out looking for a 4x4 Ranger, and ended up driving the Mustang home. It was a 2003 GT 5 speed with 20,000 miles on it. Asking price was 19,500...way too high. Well after two days of haggling, I got the dealer down to 14,000. The car was pretty much bone stock except for a couple small changes. It had 03/04 Cobra seats, a hacked up exhust with cherry bomb mufflers, and 94-95 Mustang GT wheels. This is how it looked when I bought it:

stockstang.jpg

stockstang2.jpg

From the time I bought it in December of 05, to late March of 2006, the milage went from 20,000 miles to 36,000 miles. i chalk this up to driving back to Cleveland every weekend, then down to Ohio University every couple weekends to see the girlfriend (now fiance), and the 45 minutes from my apartment in Latrobe, PA to WyoTech every day. Now that I was back home in Cleveland, I could focus on getting the Explorer fixed and back on the road. Once that was done, I retired the Mustang from daily driver duties and started putting some money into her as well as keeping the miles low. The car has just under 50,000 miles on it right now. So in the first 3 months of owning it, I put around 16,000 miles on it. Then from March of 06 till say March of 2012 when I take it out of winter storage, I have put roughly 13,000 miles on it..lol So anyways, the first thing I did when I graduated from WyoTech was buy a set of chrome Bullitt rims (17x8 and 18x9). I then did small cosmetic things like painted between the tail lights satin black, tinted tail lights, etc. As far as performance, I did BBK lowering springs, full boltons, MAC ceramic longtubes, O/R H, Flomasters, VT Stage 2 cams and valve springs, 4.10 gears, dyno tune, etc. The car was like this from the summer of 2006 until fall of 2008. Heres some pics of it in this stage:

P1010093.jpg

P1010090.jpg

P1010091.jpg

So winter of 08 rolls around and Im starting to get the appearance mod bug pretty bad. I wanted to smooth out the overall appearance of the car. I decide to take the rear spoiler off of the car and use body plugs, I bought a set of Mach 1/Bullitt C pillars and quarter glass, 03/04 Cobra rockers, 03/04 Cobra side mirrors, H.O. Fibertrends cowl hood, and 18x9/10 anthracite Bullitt rims. I also bought a ported HPS Hardballr' intake manifold, and I did a few more suspension mods like Bullitt Tokico front and rear struts/shocks, tubular upper and lower control arms, etc. This is how the car looked at this point...and yea I was doing all of the work in a 10x20 storage unit..lol:

mustang2008001.jpg

OP
OP
03DSGGT

03DSGGT

SN95 Supporting Member
Reaction score
mustang2008003.jpg

mustang2008002.jpg

I drove the car around like this for all of 2008. Then over the winter, the performance mod bug hit me. I wanted to really clean and detail the car under the hood, so I pulled the motor and trans, and everything out of the engine bay. I sanded down and painted the engine bay and everything that went in it. I figured since i had the engine out, it would be a good time to do some mods. First thing I did was buy a set of 38cc Trick Flow Twisted Wedge heads. I then bought a set of larger CMS stage 2.5 cams. I welded in a set of Flowmaster Super 44's into my existing Flowmaster cat back. I upgraded to a Centerforce Dual Friction clutch, aluminum d/s, CHE axle brace, and bought a set of Strange 10 way shocks and struts. I wanted to start getting a little more serious about taking the car to the track. I bought a used set of drag radials on a set of the stock 17x8 bullitt rims and hit the track. Id never drag raced before, so I needed to learn not only the car, but my driving technique. The best I could do was 12.80s with a 1.79 60ft during the 2009 season. The outside of the car gor a few changes as well. I found a 99/01 Cobra bumper, 01 Bullitt side scoops, and a V6 rear trunk lid with no spoiler holes. Heres a few pics of it at this point:

MYDC0349.jpg

MYDC0364.jpg

MYDC0373.jpg

MYDC0370.jpg

Rice_slayer

Reaction score
Sweet man! August would have been 4 years for me and my old mustang :'(. Oh well, too many more for yours and hopefully my mach 1 too!

OP
OP
03DSGGT

03DSGGT

SN95 Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now at this point, I was happy with the car. It looked good, ran good, and sounded good. I drove it and raced it all of 2009 without a hitch. The girlfriend and I were going together for 5.5 years at this point, so we decided in the fall of 2009 to start looking for a house. Naturally, the car didnt get a whole lot of attention that winter since I knew that I had to bank some money for house stuff. Well we finally found and bought a house in April of 2010, complete with a 2 car detached garage, perfect place for getting into trouble. After enjoying the house for a couple months, we decided to take my car, along with a couple other buddies and their cars and gfs down to Mustang Week. We all drove the 11 hours with our cars down to Myrtle Beach, and enjoyed Mustang Week. The car ran great, and after seeing all of the amazing cars down there, the bug hot me...yet again. So the winter of 2010 begins, and I decide to keep it simple this year. I wanted to do a couple oiling upgrades to the motor to keep it running safe and strong. I also wanted to get my cams degreed to have some peace of mind. I started by buying a Canton road race oil pan, 3V windage tray, Marauder balancer, and an MSD 2 step. Well once the car was all apart, I found a local guy selling a 1997 NPI engine complete for 300 bucks. So that got me to thinking about the added compression. So I bought the motor, and was going to just clean it up and throw my top end on it...not so simple. Two pistons were damaged from what looked like bolts being tossed into the engine. This required totally tearing down the block, having it hot tanked, bored .020", I had the crank polished as well. I just used the hyperutectic pistons with the stock NPI dish, the stock NPI rods, tri metal main and rod bearings, ARP 2000 rod bolts, and the upgraded oiling parts that I was going to do on my original motor. Pics of the motor fiasco:

100_0714.jpg

100_0723.jpg

100_0733.jpg

100_0781.jpg

100_0795-1.jpg

100_0817.jpg

This was my first attempt at building a bottom end, so I got as much info and torque specs as I could, and went at it in my garage. The compression ratio is right at 11.7:1, just enough to squeak by on 93 octane. I figured that since I went through the trouble of doing the bottom end, I might as well mess with the top end. So I cantacted Nick McKinney at Modular Head Shop anout some cams. He ground me a set of his Stage 3 TFS head specific cams, and degreed them for me. I also piced up a set of GT 40 rocker followers which are lighter and slso increase oil pressure in the heads. I bought an A pillar gauge pod from Speed of Sound, and tracked down some Auto Meter Lunar gauges to match my Simco gauge cluster. I upgraded shifters from the Tri-Ax to MGW, installed a driveshaft loop, did a 31 spline upgrade to the rear, AJE tubular K member, fox 4 cyl. front springs, took off the front sway bar, plated and welded the upper and lower torque boxes, installed MMFLSFCs, and added 4.30 gears. I invested in a set of big and little ProStars for the track as well. So what started out as a couple little upgrades turned into another phase of the build. So this past summer I only hit the track a few times, but my best time so far is [email protected]. Im spinning pretty badly off the line, so I need to make a few adjustments to correct that...

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
lookin good dude. cars come a long way since you bought it.

OP
OP
03DSGGT

03DSGGT

SN95 Supporting Member
Reaction score
So basically that is where I am now. Im gonna tweak a few things around and try to get that 11 second time slip next year. The car is full weight with the front and rear cobra seats, A/C, full Mach stereo, etc. I want a true street/strip car, so Im not going to gut it. I have a teksid block sitting in the garage that Im eventually going to do a big bore stroker on. I want to do E-85 with about 13-13.5:1 compresion and I havent figured out if Im going to stay injected or go carbed. Here are a few pics of how she sits currently..thanks for lookin!

100_1068.jpg

100_1074.jpg

100_1071.jpg

MYDC0358.jpg

MYDC0365.jpg

Mustang1221.jpg

GT Rob

Reaction score
The car looks killer i have the same rims what center caps are thoses and where did you get them

T-5 Killer

Reaction score
Looking great! Honestly its one of the best looking New Edge GTs I have seen! BTW that has to be the 1st time I have seen three spoke 94-95 GT Wheels on a new edge.

OP
OP
03DSGGT

03DSGGT

SN95 Supporting Member
Reaction score
thanks for the kind words fellas...and GT Rob, those caps are universal hot rod caps from Mooneyes. They have a few different sizes, but the one size they have is perfect for the center caps for the bullitt rims. They are universal, so you have to make up some kind of reatiner to hold them in the wheels. I fabbed up some plates at work that hold the caps in place...

OP
OP
03DSGGT

03DSGGT

SN95 Supporting Member
Reaction score
P.S. just noticed i messed up the post title....I typed 5 years instead of 6....I meant to type 6 but didnt realize it until it was too late and I dont know how to change the title...OOPS!.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Edit it the first post then go into advanced editing and you can change it :)