94 Cobra turbo build

OP
OP
T

Turbulence

Reaction score
So what I previously said about the injector spraying a steady stream was right, only yours was shorted out instead of the needle being stuck.

I was so damn close but still off!!!!! Lol

Glad you found it dude!!!!

Me too. Hopefully this fixes the issue. I have finished my catch can set up and installed a trick flow spacer....more torque with luck.

OP
OP
T

Turbulence

Reaction score
I am beginning to doubt the use of the Anderson PMS with my application. Despite my partners success with it, ( he has a 91 fox with 1100 horse turbo set up that runs in the low 9's and is still street driven) he is using a different base ECU than I am, and since it seems that most guys are using either Moates or other tuning systems, I am gonna just ask this of any turbo guy on the site who has a 94 or 94 car....what are you using to tune? And what are your suggestions for a novice guy like myself to use as an alternative to the PMS? Thanks for all the advice along the way!

OP
OP
T

Turbulence

Reaction score
Very nice fab work! There are days I wish I would have gone forced induction, but the last turbo car I had I could never resist the temptation to add "just one more pound". Threw a lot of cash out the window that way :)

I hear ya. Thanks for the kind words on my fab skills.

OP
OP
T

Turbulence

Reaction score
So what I previously said about the injector spraying a steady stream was right, only yours was shorted out instead of the needle being stuck.

I was so damn close but still off!!!!! Lol

Glad you found it dude!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It helped me to get back to the Keep It Simple Stupid way of looking at things......the harness was the only thing I hadn't messed with to much. I plan on wire tucking

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
For moates talk to Adder. He's a lil less sweet and more to the point but he knows his stuff and is full of good knowledge.

Holley efi is getting good reviews and there's a few people here in process of installing it. It self learns a good amount and then you tweak the tune from there.

OP
OP
T

Turbulence

Reaction score
For moates talk to Adder. He's a lil less sweet and more to the point but he knows his stuff and is full of good knowledge.

Holley efi is getting good reviews and there's a few people here in process of installing it. It self learns a good amount and then you tweak the tune from there.

Thanks EVIL

OP
OP
T

Turbulence

Reaction score
Am I crazy or just a sissy? I have the car together again, with the catch can, and the repaired harness, and new plugs again, but I don't want to start it. I have been here so many times now, and every time I get it going again, the pesky number 1 cylinder fouling happens again. LOL

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Man up son!!!! Hop on that pony and kick it in to high gear!!!!! ;-)

OP
OP
T

Turbulence

Reaction score
It's a good news and Bad news deal....I went ahead and fired it up....and the damn thing fouled it out again. I invested some time peeling the whole wiring harness apart for all the injectors. found one that was bad, I already posted that, but even went further, and swapped all the plug ends to the newer style. Still no luck.

I decided that the best bet was a Noid Light test....and despite the fact that I have 12.2 volts to the injector in question with KOEO when I put the Noid Light in it, and cranked the engine....NO LIGHT at all. So now I was all confused. 2 thru 8 are all fine....pulsing away like normal. I can only figure that the car idles good for about 15 seconds because the #1 is scavenging effect from #2 before it goes dead.

I ended up pulling the Anderson PMS out of the system, and tested it again with just my factory J4J1 ecu.....damn thing pulses great. SOOOO....It would up that I either damaged the injector driver from the frayed wire end on my wiring harness, or it was bad out of the box, because this is the only thing I have been fighting since I tightened the last bolt 6 months ago.

Anderson directed me back to EFI Systems, who asked that I ship it back for inspection and repair. It is a good learning lesson. Never assume that something is good because it is new. Also, don't skimp out on the details, like harness inspection and wiring details. It can only lead to time wasted and money burned. I will update again after I get the PMS back, and I can tune the injectors down. Thanks for all the help.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
That sucks but at least your moving in the right direction now!!!

OP
OP
T

Turbulence

Reaction score

So.....I was cruising my local Craigslist.....and I ran across something I could not pass up. I wanted to share.

I think perhaps these were the very best bet for solving my "driver side seat lean" problem. Plus, for the cost, getting then re-done in black is still worth it.

OP
OP
T

Turbulence

Reaction score
On to the other good news, for those of you that have helped, and responded to this build thread.....It's Alive. The issues with all the misfire crap has been sorted. The EFI Systems, EEC-IV PMS was sent to the builder, he replaced the board due to faulty driver for injector 1, and I added a 3 bar MAP to the system. I have driven it 2 or 3 times now, and will soon have all the little bugs worked out. Since the car has been down for a year almost, there was bound to little things that I missed.

I failed to get a really good BURP on the cooling system, and had a near heart attack when it came up to 240 degrees in what seemed like a split second...no damage done thank the lord.
I also have had to build a special boost leak tool due to the proximity of the snail to the front of the car, but it was worth it. because it was leaking at most of the connections.

On another note...the On3 Performance Blow Off valve failed out of the box. I had to take it apart, try to reseal the all the bolts, and the diaphragm was wasted. I went with a turbo smart unit, but not surprisingly, I will need to cut out the flange from the charge pipe, to mount it, because the On3 unit is reverse oriented with respect to the o-ring positioning......

Anyway...I will post a video after I can figure out how to compress it. And I have a tune day at the Dyno on next Tuesday....fingers crossed for somewhere in the 425 to the wheels and 9 psi. From what I hear....that is as close to the edge of stock Windsor block performance as I dare to go.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Glad to hear it's on its way to being drivable again!!!!!

OP
OP
T

Turbulence

Reaction score
Oh...for sure...It's a blast to drive. Tuning for this set up with the PMS isn't hard, but time consuming. I want to make sure that my wideband shows I'm always into the 11.0 or lower range under hard boost. So far, I haven't pushed it past about 7 psi...but OH MY what a blast. I should have done this years ago.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Hearing stuff like that makes me wish I could finish getting mine back together sooner!!! I've already told my wife that after we decide whether we are buying or building and get whichever done that this beast is getting finished. We are finishing details on our house now to get it ready to sell. We just gotta decide which route we're going from here.

Enjoy and post videos dude!! Some of us only get to live vicariously through others for a while!!!! Lol

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
senior001

Members online