94Gt heater core.

V8lad

Reaction score
Hi I have just replaced the heater core in my 94 Gt and have read somewhere about restricting the flow of coolant through the core to reduce the chances of it leaking again. The core was replaced along with the water pump last year but only lasted a few months.

CRAZYHORSES

Reaction score
I have heard aftermarket heater cores are not very reliable. While mine in my 94 is still good for the moment when I replaced all the radiator and heater hoses I installed the flow restrictor that lmr carries to hopefully buy me some time

OP
OP
V

V8lad

Reaction score
It was an aftermarket core that failed but I have just fitted a genuine ford one from Rock Auto.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
where do you think the coolant goes after it leaves the core, restricted? If part of the system is restricted wouldn't the entire system be slowed down?

CRAZYHORSES

Reaction score
where do you think the coolant gkoes after it leaves the core, restricted? If part of the system is restricted wouldn't the entire system be slowed down?
I'm not really sure, you have me thinking about it although I haven't noticed any issues on mine yet. I thought I read somewhere that ford started using them from the factory at some point

oldfox

Reaction score
where do you think the coolant goes after it leaves the core, restricted? If part of the system is restricted wouldn't the entire system be slowed down?

No On a lot of cars when you shut off the heat you completely shut off the flow to the heater core.
a heater core is more like a by pass. Your main flow are the radiator hoses

For the heater core usally the intake side is picked up at the top of the engine (last place the water flows)
And the discharge goes into the upper part of the radiator

When your not using the heat the heater core is doing nothing to help cool the engine
That's why if you over heat in the summer it helps to run the heater full blast it removes some of the heat
from the water

oldfox

Reaction score
Hi I have just replaced the heater core in my 94 Gt and have read somewhere about restricting the flow of coolant through the core to reduce the chances of it leaking again. The core was replaced along with the water pump last year but only lasted a few months.

Yes I have seen them. Made from a white plastic. Were the hoses you removed original? <look for it
These are put in at the factory they had a problem with the heater core and this cured it

OP
OP
V

V8lad

Reaction score
The hoses were replaced last year along with the aftermarket core and they have no restriction in them.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Staff online

Members online