95 cobra dies while driving

mattyh

Reaction score
My car dies while driving and takes a while to restart. It is taking longer to get it to start every time it happens. Every now and then while driving it would buck. And a check engin light would come on for a min. I put a new fuel filter in and my fuel pressure is. At 35 and when I pull vac on the regulator it jumps to 40. I cleaned the mass air and it ran good. for a day. Now when I start it it sounds like it is going to die and the rpm shoots up. I unplugged the mass air and the car dies right away. Can someone please give me some advice?

86svo9l

Reaction score
Hard to say from the discription. Sounds a lot like the symptoms mine was showing when the PIP was dying.

If it is the PIP bite the bullet and get a quality new distributor from Ford(If they are still available). Remanufactured distributors for these cars are hit or miss. I got a couple that were bad out of the box which caused a LOT of extra grief.

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
Agreed, the random dieing and longer starts is screeming PIP inside of the distributor. It happens to all the 5.0's sooner or later.

TanTop94

Reaction score
I agree with what's stated above, my car did the same thing and it was the PIP sensor. Get a new distributor, new, and youll never have to look back!

99GreenStang

Reaction score
if you think about it this way. if you adjust distributor to advanced its hard to turn over and hard starting . Also when you change the time you usally change the idle so you have to readjust that as well . Lastly if distributor stopped firing that obviously would kill the car . This being said I agree with the boys on getting a new distributor .Good luck man !

95opal

Reaction score
Cant rule out the TFI either.

95opal

Reaction score
Good thinkin Opal! I forgot that was the other part I had debated on replacing when I had my problems.

Yeah its not as common as the PIP but that is one of the main symptoms when they go. Car will start, run until it heats up then will die and cant be restarted till it cools down. At first it will resart shortly after dying then gradually take longer and longer inbetween dying and starting. A PIP will also have a mis or backfire associated with it as it also controls the injector pulse.

TanTop94

Reaction score
Yeah its not as common as the PIP but that is one of the main symptoms when they go. Car will start, run until it heats up then will die and cant be restarted till it cools down. At first it will resart shortly after dying then gradually take longer and longer inbetween dying and starting. A PIP will also have a mis or backfire associated with it as it also controls the injector pulse.

I swear this guy is a mustang dictionary :gasp:

OP
OP
M

mattyh

Reaction score
Thanks guys it was the dizzi.put new one in and started right up.

OP
OP
M

mattyh

Reaction score
Not so fast car hangs at like 1 thousand rpm idle drops and the car dies. What should I do now?

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
I had a hanging idle but mine would hang arouong 1500 RPM but never died. My problem was the TPSensor.
2 ways to test it:
Voltage- leave it plugged in and back pin the connector (any 2 of the 3 pins). Turn the ignition on, then watch the volt meter as you SLOWLY OPEN THE THROTTLE. You're looking for any jumps or drops in the voltage reading.
Resistance- Remove the TPS and connect the meter to (any 2 of the 3pins). Repeat the above procedure only this time the meter is on ohms.

You may have a bad MAF also. unplug it while the engine is running to see if there's any change with the idle rpm.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hazel113

Members online

No members online now.